All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Linz - Celexa
      #169421 - 04/13/05 01:26 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hey, how you doing? Hope you're ok. I have a question about Celexa - are you still on it? I've just done a search of the anti-d posts and yours seemed the best for IBS, but I guess its an individual thing. I'm SO down at the moment, and I am really considering taking the anti depressant route. Things I have to take into consideration is my Gerd, the IBS, my immune system being so low and the candida.....would you say celexa was a good alrounder? What side effects (if any) have you had and would you recommend it for an IBS-C'er?
Look forward to hearing from ya x

And anyone else out there who wants to give their two-penneths worth, please feel free.... xx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'll butt in if that's okay..... new
      #169422 - 04/13/05 02:35 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm not on Celexia (I'm on something called Dothep). I really didn't want to go the AD route either but I got to the point where I was suffering anxiety so badly I couldn't sit still for 5 seconds. Plus it's supposed to constipate so would probably help my D. To be honest all I really feel like it's doing is doping me out. I'm SO tired all the time and I wake up in the morning feeling drugged! On top of all that I'm not on a high enough dose to do much about the anxiety, D and depression but I can't take any more or I will just be zonked out all the time. This is the 3rd AD I've had and the second one that's done this to me. Sorry this isn't very encouraging, it may very well work for your body, if you're feeling that badly it's certainly worth a shot. Just thought you might like some different idea's on what they can do (well, what the side effects can do). Good luck and let me know how you go.

--------------------
Amy

I love it! new
      #169429 - 04/13/05 03:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And yes, I've scrabbled together enough pennies to go fill my script!

A-d's never did a huge amount for my IBS, but controlling the depression (and now the Fibro symptoms) helps enormously.

I asked for Celexa... new
      #169488 - 04/13/05 06:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

But my psychiatrist, who used to be an internist, said that Celexa is more constipating. And since I am a bad IBS-C person, he didn't think it was appropriate and chose Lexapro instead.

So just make sure your doc knows your main symptoms as different ADs have different effects on the bowels.

That being said, I'm not so sure the Lexapro is not causing C either, but Doc says no.

GL!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I asked for Celexa... new
      #169491 - 04/13/05 07:00 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Just wanted to add my two cents on Celexa. Wonderful life saving drug for me ! IBS had made my anxiety so bad I was nauseous everyday and constantly worried about attacks. It has not cured my IBS, but has made it much easier to accept my situation. I don't worry every time I have D, and the nausea is pretty much non existant.

The drug does take a few weeks to work, but I did feel the effect pretty early in the treatment. I experianced no side effects at all.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

Thanks you guys.... new
      #169562 - 04/13/05 11:09 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Still pretty undecided about it all, as I promised myself I wouldn't - I guess I just want to find an answer to my woes....I'll let you know how I get on. xx

Re: My two cents new
      #169578 - 04/13/05 11:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Elavil and Lexapro. I HATED the Prozac. I was given the Elavil for an injury to my foot and didn't really give it enough time as an AD. The Wellbutrin was fine but thought it might be making the C worse. I liked the Lexapro the best! I believe Casey (atomicrose) also takes the Lexpro and likes it! I felt the best while I was taking it. The side effects were a little worse in the first week or two but once I got used to it, I really liked it. I've currently switched to a very low dose of Zoloft as this is the safest one to take while pregnant and I'm trying to get pregnant!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 614

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review