All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yogurt Friend or Foe?
      #169259 - 04/12/05 11:43 AM
shelbs_shoes

Reged: 04/12/05

I read on one of the message boards that yogurt is good for "gut function", but in eating for IBS it says to completely remove all dairy from the diet. Which of these is true? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yogurt Friend or Foe? new
      #169261 - 04/12/05 12:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Definitely a foe for me. Yogurt is a fermented, and apparentally fermented foods are "good bacteria" encouraging which is healthful for the gut. However, there are myriad other sources of friendly bacteria for the gut. Mind you, sauerkraut is not something that's good for me, either. Hmmm...booze is fermented and well it's not good for me either. Probiotics are in yogurt and fermented foods. You can purchase probiotics in capsule form at most Natural food
stores, grocery stores, pharmacies in the refridgerated case. After a really bad streak of D, I will take probiotics. Yogurt is a vessel for probiotics. Other fermented foods that I can think of, off the top of my head include MISO (this agrees with me)--and Red Rooibos tea. Red Rooibos tea (the plant which makes the stuff we get in the bags or loose) is preserved by way of fermentation. Miso is fermented soybeans plus either rice (brown or white) depending on the type of miso, and culture...or soybeans plus barley plus culture. For IBS, though, dairy is often a trigger--lactose, casein, etc.

FOE! new
      #169268 - 04/12/05 12:27 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

even before I cut out other dairy due to allergies if I ate antibiotics I'd get a mess of nasty smelly gas and cramps!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: FOE! new
      #169277 - 04/12/05 12:39 PM
shelbs_shoes

Reged: 04/12/05

That happens to me a lot as well with a lot of other foods like fruit mostly, I was just wondering as I can't find a soy yogurt that is edible. Any suggestions?

Yeah, just get the capsules... new
      #169446 - 04/13/05 04:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...of probiotics and you'll be getting all the good stuff of yogurts with none of the dairy side effects!

Re: FOE! new
      #169456 - 04/13/05 05:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I just skip it altogether.. I haven't seen any substitute dairy othe rhten milks that I can stand...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I don't bother with many subs either. new
      #169458 - 04/13/05 05:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I have soy yogurt and a vegan powder "cheese" sauce (which I use occasioanlly) and that's it. No yogurt, no cheese, etc.

edible soy yogurt... new
      #169483 - 04/13/05 06:34 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

... I have had good luck with Soy Silk yogurt. It can be found now at most regular big name chain grocery stores in the yogurt section. Most stores only carry a couple of flavors, though. You have to remember that it will taste alot different than dairy yogurt, same as any soy 'fake dairy' product. It takes awhile to get used to them. it was hard for me to choke down soy at first (oh boy did Ilove dairy, but it was my worst trigger), but now I am used to it and love it!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3920 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review