All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Blood Type and IBS
      #169239 - 04/12/05 10:41 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Recently I began reading the Eat right for your blood type book by Dr.Peter J D'Adamo after a recommendation by my Aunt. The book is very interesting and it suggest that many problems that people have with their digestive tract can be caused by eating foods that dont agree with their blood type. When this happens the food becomes like a poison and can cause many of the symptoms associated with IBS.

I am an O posistive and I have been finding that while Red Meat is essential for my Blood type, conincedently it is not a trigger food for me, White Potatoes on the other hand are considered safe by the IBS diet, and cause probelms in me, and they are not good for my blood type. It also recommends that I should eat Gluten Free because gluten acts like a poison in my system.

This book is interesting and was written by a naturopathic physician. Ia m going to give it a try and incorporate it with my IBS diet.

I just want to know if any one knows what their blood type is and if you see a correlation with some of the foods that are highly beneficial to your blood typr and those that are posion to your system.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Blood Type and IBS new
      #169249 - 04/12/05 11:11 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

That is some really interesting stuff.

I'm A +.
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#169254 - 04/12/05 11:22 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I am not sure what it would mean to me as I am an AB... will have to check it out. Anne

ANNE, your mini blood type breakdown new
      #169257 - 04/12/05 11:36 AM
trapley

Well lets see.....(the book has soo much information, I can only include small portions)..

According to the book Type AB's borrow charactersitics of A's and B's. They can tolerate certain meats in Small portions. Turkey, Lamb, and Rabbit are highly beneficial. They should avoid Porks and Beef. Tuna, Trout, Cod, and Sardine are some of the fish that are highly beneficial for this blood type.

AB"s benefit from daiy foods and Feta chees, Yogurt, and Mozzarella are highly beneficial for your type. Olive Oils , Peanut BUtter, peanuts, and Walnuts are highly beneficial, while you should avoid Sesame oils and seeds, and sunflower seeds.oatmeal is found ad highly beneficial, while cornflakes should be avoided.

Some of your highly beneficial veggies are Broccli, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Sweet POtatoes, Garlic, MAitake muschrooms, and PArsley. You should avoid Artichoke, Corn, Pepper (Red, Green, and Yellow), Lima Beans,a nd Black Olives.

Interestingly it says that a cup of regular or decaff coffee could be beneficial to your type because you have low stomach acid, so it encourages acid production for food break down. but you should avoid soda's.

This is what the books says, how much in line is it's recommendation with your triggers and comfort foods? I was speaking to a co-worker and he was saying this book was very controversial among vegitarians, but he has noticed a boost in his energy and wellness since eating meat again, and he is an O like myslef.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#169260 - 04/12/05 11:53 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm quite curious. I'm a type A and a vegetarian--vegan. Are there any notable implications/suggestions the authour suggests?

#169275 - 04/12/05 12:37 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I'm an A and I think I read parts of the book a long time ago. One of the few things I remember is that I think it did mention that A blood types did better with more gentle types of workouts -- which does seem to fit with me. I actually lose weight and keep up with them better if I do the less intense workouts. I also have less tummy trouble from them. I can't remember the dietary guidelines though....

Re: ANNE, your mini blood type breakdown new
      #169309 - 04/12/05 01:42 PM
AnneV

Currently - am only eating turkey and chicken (white meat). I do not like fish - am a matter of fact several years ago I was in Portugal and had to eat fish every day and broke out in a rash every day. I have never eaten rabbit (though we had them as pets growing up). I love lamb but have not had it since I started the diet. I did eat meat prior to the diet - but not a lot. Did not notice it as a trigger.

I am currently dairy free...I love dairy - but it binds me up..and gives me gas.

I eat peanut butter most days as a source of protein - no problem.

On veggies - I agree with corn - I must stay away from it. I have always had a problem with corn. Peppers - not sure about. Will pay more attention.

On the coffee - I have been caffeine free since last June. Decaf for almost 2 years prior. I still have a lot of acid.

It is always interesting to see stuff like this. Thanks for pointing me in the direction. Anne

Re: ANNE, your mini blood type breakdown new
      #169310 - 04/12/05 01:43 PM
AnneV

Rh factor could also have an influence on this... Anne

#169566 - 04/13/05 11:16 AM
trapley

Actually, it is recommended that A's remain vegitarians because it is how their body functions best. I did not bring the book into work with me, but I can tell you more later.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#169567 - 04/13/05 11:17 AM
trapley

Your right, and it says that O's like myself do better on strenuos workouts, and my IBS basically disappered when I ran track competitively. But when I started doing Yoga, it only benefitted my state of mind, which is good every once in a while.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Has anyone else tried this approach? new
      #169607 - 04/13/05 01:12 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Or is this just another "diet book" out there?

I don't even know what blood type I am and my doctor won't test me just for general info.

How did you guys find out what type you were?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#169616 - 04/13/05 01:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Interesting connection. I find that meat, even poultry, physically made me feel ill and thus cut it out of my diet probably eight years ago--fish didn't sit so well either, but was more tolerable re: protein. My grain preference of choice is rice or millet, sometimes quinoa or amaranth. I'm awaiting testing re: Celiac due to hairloss, IBS, anemia (iron, folate and B12)and osteopenia--obviously my malabsoption needs further investigation. I'm only thirty. I cut out wheat, rye, barley and oats and my hair has grown back, and my vitamin levels are up to snuff again--it's incredible to have hair again!!! It's short, but it's there and fuller each day. My M.D. referred me to an expert, but I have to wait until OCTOBER--darn. My energy is finally coming back, and my spirit, too. I'm also doing gentle exercise--it's what I enjoy and can maintain--yoga, gardening, walking.

Blood type diet...some criticisms... new
      #169630 - 04/13/05 02:00 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Beth - while some people claim that these diets have really helped them, there is very little hard science to support this as very little scientific research has been done to prove the claims in this book.

I got curious about this diet a while ago myself so I did some research on it. I found a saved email I sent to someone about it that included the following quote it from a reputable source (I *think* it was on the web but I can't seem to find it again now...) Anyway, these are some of the criticisms of this diet:

Quote:

Some physicians and nutritionists argue that Dr. D'Adamo's theory about lectins lacks solid scientific support. These critics point out that the research that has been done on lectins has been performed mostly in test tubes. Therefore, it is not yet known what, if any, physiological effects lectins have in humans. Furthermore, many food lectins are destroyed by cooking and/or digestive enzymes, so many critics argue that the number of lectins absorbed intact through the digestive system is minimal. Other critics point out that Dr. D'Adamo's emphasis on the ABO blood-typing system is somewhat arbitrary. In a book review, Alan Gaby, MD, points out that the ABO system is only one of many different blood-typing methods, and to date, more than 30 unique markers have been identified on the surface of red blood cells. Consequently, if Dr. D'Adamo had based his diet on a different marker, his diet recommendations may have been very different.

Most critics believe the diet is associated with no real health hazards. However, critics caution that people with Type O blood may increase their risk of heart disease by adhering to Dr. D'Adamo's Type O diet recommendations.

#352860 - 11/29/09 03:12 PM
SarahW

Reged: 02/22/09

I'm rehashing this subject as I've stumbled upon this book at my local library.

I recently read the book and found that a lot of what the author claims are my avoid foods (I'm a B) are either foods I can't stand the taste of, or triggers an attack for me. In particular, it says whole wheats and raw veggies I should stay away from, and these are big triggers for me.

On the contrary, beef and red meats are supposed to be beneficial to me, and sometimes these cause attacks. I am to avoid chicken as it is like a 'poison' and this is a huge staple in my diet. I DO find however, that sometimes chicken just 'sits' in my stomach, leaving me slightly uncomfortable, but no attacks.

I'm not sure what I think about the whole blood type diet, however I'm heard it is really beneficial to those with autoimmune disease. My mom has fibromylagia, so I think shes going to give this a go and let me know how it is.

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Blood Type and IBS... Heather? new
      #352862 - 11/29/09 04:34 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I too have read this book years ago. It is perhaps a great guideline to the roots of our bodies to keep them healthy based on blood type.

At the same time, once a person deviates and for whatever reason(s) develops IBS, forget the blood type connection and go with IBS safe foods. It seems we are no longer a creature of our root origins by blood type. ???

Perhaps Heather can provide further input and info about this... or perhaps Syl or Shawneric.

Keep checking this thread and see what they can or have come up with.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review