All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Managing IBS-C without an SFS
      #169188 - 04/12/05 08:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Okay, most of you know I have severe IBS-C with gut wrenching pain, cramps, bloat, and horrid gas.

I don't seem to be able to handle any SFS so far. Perhaps because I have some delayed gastric emptying which is suppose to be made worse by SFS. I'm not sure if this is the reason.

Anyhow, for those who are IBS-C and cannot tolerate SFS, how do you safely manage the constipation? I cannot eat wheat, fruits with peels seems to be frowned upon.

So, besides taking laxatives, how do I manage this horrid, chronic pain when I cannot seem to take an SFS?

Are there any foods that are more helpful? I do get IF food in at every meal, but perhaps not enough??? What are your diets like? What do you guys and gals do? I'm desperate!
Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Managing IBS-C without an SFS new
      #169194 - 04/12/05 08:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sweetheart, I'm not IBS-C although I was while pregnant. I don't know if this will help much because you already know what you're doing. Did you start your SFS at a pathetically low dose? Did you increase them VERY slowly? For example, with acacia, they said to start with 1/2 tsp. I started with 1/4 tsp and increased it by 1/4 tsp each week.
The other things you can do for constipation, as you know, are to make sure you're getting lots of SF. And try increasing your IF SAFELY (lots of cooked, peeled, mashed and pureed veggies and fruits) (I would do all of the above for a while till you're feeling better). Also, water and exercise will help. Tried fennel tea? Great for bloating and gas. I'm sure you've probably tried some of these suggestions, but bear with me, I'm just trying to help to see if there's something you've missed.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#169215 - 04/12/05 09:15 AM
Augie

SF seems to make me more C. Really, I've tried.

I have done all your suggestions. Even the low dose of SFS first then gradual increase, but bloat, gas, cramps seemed to get worse and not much better with the C (or may have been my imagination???) Thanks for trying to help, Alicia. Your so nice to want to help!

--------------------
~ Beth

#169216 - 04/12/05 09:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Beth, have you tried the miralax? I'm not saying its going to be a cure all either but at least things will be moving!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Please help me-nt new
      #169507 - 04/13/05 08:26 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#169511 - 04/13/05 08:36 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Maybe you should try Miralax. That has been the one thing that has helped me. It's not always helpful, but when I take Miralax & watch my diet, I usually go to the bathroom around 5 days a week (sometimes every day). That has helped my abdominal pain so much. I hardly ever get cramping & pain.

When I feel like I'm getting C & uncomfortable, I'll take a little Zelnorm before bed. (I drink my Miralax in the morning before breakfast when I'm getting ready for work.) But I rarely take the Zelnorm.

Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?-nt new
      #169513 - 04/13/05 08:40 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

I did new
      #169515 - 04/13/05 08:43 AM
Augie

And I got scared as it made me cramp and I feared a life time of laxative usage. Perhaps it is time to give it an all out try, though.

I don't know how I would continue to pay for this on my own, and doesn't this med need to be taken every day for the rest of your life? This thought terrifies me now!

--------------------
~ Beth

#169516 - 04/13/05 08:45 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I never found relief without an SFS, but am learning that the IF factor is just as vital. If I don't eat raw veggies at every meal (tomatoes with breakfast, lettuce and cucumbers on my sandwich at lunch, apple for snack, salad with dinner) I am not moving squat! Water is also major important. I know you have heard it before, but if these things don't work, I'd get prescription help if I could. You can't just keep this up...relief has to come at some point so your system can stabilize. Many thoughts and prayers your way!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Are you talking about Miralax? new
      #169519 - 04/13/05 08:49 AM
Augie

I tried Zelnorm and it didn't work for me. The foods you listed I think would kill me! Especially the raw cucumber and salad! Do you eat your apples with the peel?

I wish, I wish I could handle an SFS!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are you talking about Miralax? new
      #169523 - 04/13/05 08:56 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

When you say you can't handle it what do you mean???

What happens to you when you use a sfs?

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Hang in there! new
      #169547 - 04/13/05 10:29 AM
bamagirl

You know, the Acacia changed my life altogether, so I can't imagine not having that help. I know it is discouraging. I almost feel guilty sometimes reading how others suffer over specific food groups too, because I tolerate a lot more foods than many here on the boards. However, IBS is such an individual thing! Stress is my #1 enemy in this, way more than food, so that is my daily battle.

Hang in there Beth! Draw your encouragement and strength from the prayers and support of your friends and know that you are not alone in this! Stay after those doctors until you get resolution. I would definately be asking for some drugs that work.(Zelnorm NOT in that group! That drug is just an expensive gimick!) Stay strong!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I can't do it anymore. I'm worn out and hopeless-nt new
      #169557 - 04/13/05 10:59 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh beth... new
      #169558 - 04/13/05 11:01 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I hear you sister.....I completely understand where you are coming from...I'm worn right out and feel completely wretched about everything right now...it really is an up hill struggle. But...remember I'm here if you need me - we all are {{hugs}} xx

SFS new
      #169559 - 04/13/05 11:03 AM
Augie

I get worse bloated, gassy, cramps, and remain constipated. I have slight delayed gastric emptying. SFS is not recommended for this, nor is Fiber. The food does not "empty" on an average time. So, I guess the food, or SFS, would just sit inside me and "clog" me up and cause worse problem. I don't know. My doctor isn't providing any resolution to the SFS question since it would hurt the delayed emptying but help the IBS maybe.

That's why I am trying to resolve this horrible C without an SFS.

--------------------
~ Beth

Nik new
      #169561 - 04/13/05 11:07 AM
Augie

I'm feeling so defeated. I am so overwhelmed with all these multiple problems and nothing helping and all these crazy diets (fructose, gluten, yeast, IF,...)trying to figure out what hurts and what is okay, but hurting all the time.

Is the Acacia and Candida diet helping you?

I am just soooo tired. There is no fight left in me. God, take me now.

--------------------
~ Beth

SFS new
      #169564 - 04/13/05 11:12 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Acacia made me wicked C, so I can understand what you're talking about.

So, without a SFS, I would suggest flaxseed oil, blended into smoothies (with lots of berries and soy/rice/oatmilk). You're going to have to play around with the amount, but flaxseed oil has natural laxatative effects. The pureed berries should be ok for you, too, and will help get you some IF. Also, I take "Omega 3:6:9" pills that contain a bunch of different oils and that helps a lot - gets things moving.

As far as SFS go, have you tried working your way up to the maximum dosage? I'd give that a shot if you haven't.

I like the noni juice I'm taking right now - it, too, seems to have a bit of a laxatative effect.

And lastly, I'd recommend taking magnesium supplements - but check with your doctor first. Magnesium (along with the above) is the only non-prescription thing that'll keep me going.

Good luck dear, and remember - we're in the same boat (mostly), so lean on us! Hugs!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Nik new
      #169565 - 04/13/05 11:14 AM
nikjones_uk

I stopped taking the acacia because I kept forgetting to take it and I was so depressed about eating just cardboard for the rest of my days I kept eating fruit, but my mouth has started to taste yucky again, which means candida is on the rampage yet again.

I'm on probiotics, multi vits, pau d'arco, extra zinc & vit c and biotin, have been for about 2 weeks now, but I thought bugger it today and had a fruit and nut bar with honey and some porridge with golden syrup - feel a bit "drunk" now, what with the sugar rush...but I'm SO fed up, just like you, having to eliminate things that I like, speaking to doctors who don't know their arse from their elbow and fed up with eating bloody cardboard!!

I'm seeing a natropath next week, which is costing a fortune, and fear I may cry at her because I'm SO fed up and need someone to talk too....WAHHH....

My friend is coming over in a minute and we are going to have a good old moan at each other - she suffers with IBS and candida, but still knowing that we both do STILL doesn't help - haha! What a pair eh!

If you ever want to email, please feel free - you seem to have reached the end of your tether too xx boo hoo xx

Re: I did new
      #169574 - 04/13/05 11:32 AM
michele

So what if you have to take a medication for the rest of your life? If it makes you feel better and improves your QUALITY of life, isn't it worth it? I think it is. Many people do become dependant on it but not all. All it is, is an osmotic laxative. It has no harsh chemicals or stimulants. It works by pulling water into you colon. Its so safe that you can even take it during pregnancy! In fact, the RE (reproductive endocronologist) that I'm currently seeing, told me she gives it to her pregnant patients that get C from being pregnant! Those same women stop taking it after the baby is born and are fine! The original Gastrointerologist (sp?) that prescribed it to me told me his SISTER has IBS and that he has her taking it. I've been on it for years and couldn't imagine not taking it!

It may cause a little bit of cramping as its getting everything moving. It works best to take it on an empty tummy and than eat shortly afterwards. Once you go potty, most of those initial cramps go away. It can cause a little extra gas and bloating but that goes away after a couple of weeks. Yes, I do take it every day, once in a while even twice a day but I couldn't imagine how much worse my pain would be if I wasn't going potty on pretty much a daily basis!

--------------------

Beth, I don't know you well enough ... new
      #169584 - 04/13/05 11:57 AM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

to know how literally to take your saying, "God, take me now", but if you are truly in that much despair, please tell someone about it: your family, your clergy, someone.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I'm so sorry if I was a discouraging voice! new
      #169585 - 04/13/05 12:07 PM
bamagirl

Please don't give up!! It takes time!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Flaxseed oil... new
      #169591 - 04/13/05 12:34 PM
Augie

is total fat. It would be like adding straight olive oil to the drink (11-14 grams fat per Tablespoon)

Fat is a major problem for me, especially since I have Gallbladder problems.

And I have some reservations about the Noni juice. If it's like Aloe Vera juice, that is not a good thing, I don't think.

I take 400 mg of magnesium glyconate a day. Maybe I should go higher, but the recommended amount is only 400 mg, so again, don't want to cause more problems.

Have you stopped taking Acacia and your citrucel capsules too? Are you also SFS-free? How about Zelnorm?

Thanks for your suggestions. There must be some IBS-C folks who cannot tolerate SFS who can help.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks, but what are you doing.. new
      #169593 - 04/13/05 12:37 PM
Augie

to help the Constipation if you're not taking Acacia? Any suggestions on how to get this stuff out of me?

Any foods that help naturally?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Zelnorm contains lactose new
      #169595 - 04/13/05 12:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I read that Zelnorm contains lactose. I'm lactose intolerant, therefore, this drug would be a disaster for me. Does anyone lactose-intolerant take Zelnorm?

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying new
      #169596 - 04/13/05 12:40 PM
michele

What exactly is this, Beth? I had an endoscopy (sp?) a couple of years ago, the one where the stick that big tube down your throat and into your belly. I was told that the opening out of my tummy into my colon was very small and could cause "delayed emptying" or something like that. While they had the tube down my throat, they did what is called a ballooning procedure. I guess they basically stick a balloon on the end of the tube and blow it up to increase the size of the emptying. Good thing I was heavly sedated and slept through it! Is this the same kinda thing you are talking about having? How was it diagnosed?

--------------------

Re: Flaxseed oil... new
      #169599 - 04/13/05 12:47 PM
e_mcmaster

Yes, flaxseed oil is a fat and like you, I don't tolerate fats too well. But we C'ers need fat to be able to "go" so maybe a teaspoon or so of it would be beneficial? I know a girl with D that takes it and she does fine.

I'm off Zelnorm and have been for a week now. Honestly, I'm doing fine, which confirms my suspicions that while Zelnorm was a wonder drug for me for 9 months, it no longer does anything. I still have 3 months supply, so I will keep it around for emergencies.

I do take Citrucel - about 7-9g a day (14-18 caplets) and sometimes I supplement it with acacia. I like acacia for adding to my protein shakes because for some reason, even though it is soy and therefore safe, I don't do well with them unless I specifically eat a SF before drinking them.

I will ask my gastroentrenologist for some ideas when I go see him today.

Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: SFS new
      #169600 - 04/13/05 12:51 PM
Wind

Pureed berries, i.e. in smoothies, really do help things along for me too, when I'm in C mode. Flax oil, personally gives me
D, so I avoid it. It's hard to find a system or balance that works--too much, too little, too irritating, too expensive. I also find that soups/purees of veggies that I can tolerate, and now enjoy helpful, not to mention full of NUTRIENTS from a real source. Also, I know this from experience, that what works one week may be a disaster the next, so I adapt. Start out with good old fashioned SF--the real thing and when you're stable play with it...chart, journal and see if patterns emerge.

#169601 - 04/13/05 12:52 PM
Augie

They test for delayed gastric emptying by making you eat a meal first. Standard meal is toast, 2 containers of milk (for me they replaced with O.J.) and scrambled eggs injected with a dye. Then, I laid on a table for like 3 or 4 hours while they took x-rays every 20 minutes or so. This is how they can "see" and time how quickly the food empties out. There is a normal time and anything slower than this can be a problem and diagnosed as delayed emptying. Symptoms are bloat, constipation, feeling full quickly after eating small amounts.

They can try to treat it with drugs, like Reglan, but the drugs are controversial as to how safe they are and side effects are horrible! So, they recommend low fiber, and eating 6 tiny meals a day. I don't know how they expect the low fiber to help with the constipation though!

I need to talk to my doctor again about this. Well, once I find a doctor.

Tell me, when they inserted the balloon inside you, was it to help the emptying? Do you think that might help me? I haven't found any info on correcting this situation by a procedure, only by methods I listed above.

--------------------
~ Beth

Do you have any recipes new
      #169602 - 04/13/05 12:55 PM
Augie

for the soup? Do you make it yourself? Are you also a C?

when you say start with a good SF, do you mean food source?

Do you take an SFS? And I think the flax oil is too much fat for me, but I wouldn't mind the D!

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169604 - 04/13/05 01:06 PM
Augie

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I don't have a good GI and am shopping around for another one. So thank you for taking the time to ask yours.

I will think about the flax oil in tiny amounts. I do take flax seed (ground) but that doesn't seem to be helping. I am up to 1T plus 1 tsp a day. But again, this is fiber (which I thought was good before I read about the delayed emptying) so may be causing more problem but the liquid is not fiber. I have the fatty acid tablets too, so may try those first.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169605 - 04/13/05 01:10 PM
e_mcmaster

I would try the fatty acid tablets first, like you said. I got relief pretty immediately from that and am doing ok with what I'm on now.

I'm going to ask the doc about a lot of things C related, so I'll post what he says when I get back!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: Do you have any recipes new
      #169609 - 04/13/05 01:13 PM
Wind

Re: soups/veg. purees. Yes, I make them myself. Do I have recipes? Not exactly. What goes in them? Water or a stock base (m.s.g. free if using and organic) and any vegetable or combination of veg. that appeals to me and doesn't insult me by giving me a gas attack. (I get a lot of inspiration from Raw Recipes, but do not consume it raw, and there are certain things that cause me intense distress and will never appear on my menu.) You can also roast things and add them, i.e. roasted portabella mushrooms, a little celery or whatever plus liquid base of choice. Eat it with SF, i.e. fresh bread of an appropriate type for you, crackers, rice, noodles. I don't take SFS at the moment; they all cause me to BLOAT and feel uncomfortable. I also eat six times a day, mini meals. I also DRINK a lot of water, herbal tea and this helps. Smoothies or pureed fruit, raw or cooked with or after SF help and are delicious when you're stable.
No flax oil for me personally because it gives me the worst gastric spasm and EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink comes out of me within an hour and a half--no joke. And going for a walk or doing some yoga when I feel good, too. Seriously, a little movement--nothing rigorous, but gentle and repetative. My food processor is my most used kitchen tool, without it, I wouldn't be consuming IF. I started small. I guess it's kind of like adult baby food, but yummier, and comforting. I think of it as haute cuisine after seeing Bob
Bulmer do it on Food T.V.'s "Surreal Gourmet." Some of the creations end up great pasta sauces! I never know what I'm going to get, but IT'S NOT BROCCOLI. Just not kidding, seriously!

Wow how stupid! (of Zelnorm)- nt new
      #169621 - 04/13/05 01:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#169633 - 04/13/05 02:06 PM
michele

The balloning procedure I had done was only to help the "emptying" from my tummy INTO my colon. I had a barium test done which sounds similiar to what you had done. I had to drink a bunch of really thick gross stuff and hang around ALL day so they could take x-rays of the barium going through my entire digestive system. Not fun! It took me a WEEK to poop out all that barium!

I have tried the Reglan. It didn't help my tummy any and made me feeling really dizzy, nausous and just plain sick! I took them 5-6 times and don't even think I bothered to keep the rest because they made me feel so awful!

--------------------

Re: Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169634 - 04/13/05 02:10 PM
michele

Beth, can you do oatmeal? There is an oatmeal with Flax Seed in it, I've never tried it but a freind of mine swears by it!

Elizabeth, I found that I build up a tolerance to Zelnorm in just a week or so. But if I don't take it for a while and than take one on an empty tummy, it will give me D! I typically take miralax daily but if I get into a bad spell, I'll switch to the Zelnorm for a week than switch back to the Miralax. I agree, Zelnorm is no where near the miracle drug they claim but keep it around for bad spells!

--------------------

#169642 - 04/13/05 02:33 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

They have a drug called erythromycin that is an antibiotic that is used to treat gastric emptying because the side effects of the drug are to move the digestive system. It's supposed to be more effective than reglan and no bad side effects.

Re: Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?-nt new
      #169646 - 04/13/05 02:38 PM
bellshel32

I use ground flax seed meal as my sfs every morning. I put about 2 tablespoons in my cereal. I took Miralax for several years without taking an sfs, but lately I have been trying different sfs because my body changed after I had a baby (I became more C). I think I do better with the flax seed than without.

Zelnorm new
      #169647 - 04/13/05 02:42 PM
bellshel32

I took the Zelnorm for a short while instead of the Miralax. I thought the Zelnorm only "kind of" worked.

Now I take Miralax daily & if I'm having a particularly bad few days of C or cramping, I'll take a small dose of Zelnorm to kind of "kick start" things. That usually works for me. (I hardly ever have to do that, though.) Maybe that would work for you, too, because you wouldn't be taking the Zelnorm daily.

I agree with you, Michele!! n/t new
      #169649 - 04/13/05 02:47 PM
bellshel32

Re: Thanks, but what are you doing.. new
      #169755 - 04/13/05 11:20 PM
nikjones_uk

A sprinkling of flax/linseeds on your cereal in the morning is a good regulator for me....try it and see. Dried prunes, but not too many, just enough to make you go. I do tend to have a BM every day, but they say that even if you do, it doesn't mean you aren't constipated! ARGH!

Re: Zelnorm contains lactose new
      #169767 - 04/14/05 04:28 AM
melissam

Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I am LI also and I took Zelnorm 6 mg 2'ce a day- It didn't affect the LI that I knew of.
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Augie can you handle flax seed? It makes me "go"! ~nt~ new
      #169777 - 04/14/05 05:42 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?- new
      #169834 - 04/14/05 08:34 AM
michele

I mix Acacia with my miralax everymorning. I like the fact that the acacia has a prebiotic in it!

--------------------

No, can't do oatmeal being GF-nt new
      #169887 - 04/14/05 10:55 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

MICHELE- WARNING on ZELNORM new
      #169899 - 04/14/05 11:20 AM
Augie

Michele, I was chicking out my sample box of zelnorm yesterday to check if it did list lactose as an ingredient. The box contained the entire leaflet that the doctors get for chemical combinations, the test results, the complete and entire information on the product that we don't get from the pharmacy.

Anyhow, one of the side effects listed was MISCARRIAGES. So, I needed to share this with you in case you are still using it at all.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?- new
      #169915 - 04/14/05 12:13 PM
bellshel32

I tried that (mixing the acacia with the Miralax), but I just got C. Weird but true....

Re: thanks augie! new
      #169938 - 04/14/05 12:54 PM
michele

Thats very interesting! Luckily, I rarely use it anymore and never did while pregnant! I knew it was very new and didn't want to take the cahnce! I'll have to ask my RE about that though! Good call, thanks!

--------------------

#170004 - 04/14/05 09:42 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Honestly I really think you should try adding more insoluble fiber into your diet. Personally I find apples help be go a little better, I eat apples like every single day! And yes, with the on it peel too. Don't just avoid things because they bother other people, you gotta find out what works for YOU. Just eat an apple and see what happens. I don't peel any of the fruit I eat. I also really think you should try out Miralax. It didn't work out for me, but it helps many people, and since you're getting so desperate I see no reason why you shouldn't! Seriously, before you feel even worse, go get some and at least try!

I take 5 flaxseed oil capsles every morning but I haven't noticed an effect on helping me go, I take them for other reasons though. I tried the seeds but they didn't do anything and made me feel a bit worse.

--------------------
IBS-C

Beth, sweetie! new
      #170019 - 04/15/05 12:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I wasn't following this post as I'm not very knowledgeable about major C but you've got me worried!

I REALLY think you need some a-d's or something! I found that the major help they gave me was giving me the strength to keep going and to not get down NOT actually helping my symptoms. But that help was MAJORLY needed and I really recommend them.

Hey Augie! (long) new
      #170020 - 04/15/05 12:34 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Oh my GOSH do I know how you feel!!!!!!!! After 2 1/2 years of fiber, fiber and more fiber, still remaining knotted, sick, bloated and C for 12-14 days at a time. Then finding this site, trying the acacia and the whole she-bang IBS diet, then FAILING miserably I wanted to give up too! But guess what, I have been C free, cramp free and bloat free for going on 5 months! With no fiber supps Here is what unfolded over the last 6 months..first it was finally discovered that I have an auto immune disease. Though I was not diagnosed with Crohn's per the GI, I took the advice of the Rheum who said, "Let's pretend like you do and see what happens" meaning, he suggested I try a Crohn's type of plan and see what happens. So I went OFF all fiber supplements and on Miralax only. I had previously been on Zelnorm, Lactulose, SFS and Miralax. At the same time with ZERO results! Soon as I dropped everything but the Miralax, I started going regularly, albeit string like. But, the ripping, tearing and bleeding all stopped. Miralax is extremely gentle, so after some time to heal my bm's have become more normal and almost daily. I haven't missed more than 1 day a week. If you have an autoimmune disease, the fiber can cause tiny abrasions inside your intestines, then they can get irritated, ulcerate and swell, blocking you off. . I'm not sure if you realize what Miralax is, it is not a chemical and is non-addicting to your intestines. It is the same inert material they use in petri dishes, isn't it seaweed or algae or something? Anyway, it doesn't cause cramping like Exlax or the other chemical laxatives. Those things make me sick for a whole day and night! Part deaux is going on a Gluten-Free diet, I tested negative for Celiac, but my GP suggested I try going gluten free saying that sometimes people with AD's just do better being Gluten (wheat) free.
I was sick with IBS (the worst the GI Dr ever saw) for 2 1/2 years.. I just saw him the other day and he was seriously proud of me gave me a big hug for sticking it out The Rheum told me that often times the body is ahead of the bloods, so you get the symptoms well before the signs.. If you have any other symptoms aside from your fiber intolerance, like joint pain, mouth ulcers and fatigue..get thee to a rheumotologist

Re: Hey Missy new
      #170097 - 04/15/05 08:27 AM
Augie

Thanks for your reply. Tell me, what is the treatment for Crohns that you are following that has helped you so much, besides taking Miralax daily and eating Gluten Free. I already eat gluten free and find no relief from this.

What autoimmune disorder do you have? And you were diagnosed with it even though you didn't show blood work for it or a colonoscopy to diagnose it? I had a small bowel series done, and the GI ruled out Crohns. It was perfectly normal.

What is your diet? Do you need to eat a low fiber diet now? Please, please email me and tell me about how you came to be C free, cramp free, and bloat free. You may just have some answers for me.

And shouldn't I go to an endocrinologist instead of a rheumitologist for Autoimmune Disorders? I am so interested in your story. My email is deerbeth@yahoo.com.

I hope you find some time to share more.

Thanks you

--------------------
~ Beth

How did the flax seeds make you feel worse?-nt new
      #170098 - 04/15/05 08:28 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Beth, sweetie! new
      #170101 - 04/15/05 08:31 AM
Augie

Believe it or not I'm on an AD! Lexapro. Obviously isn't doing much. I just saw the doc who prescribed them and he increased the dose although I really wanted to try something else. I can't handle the increased dose very well as it seems to cause worse C. I haven't gone since the increase. But he says it's unrelated.

Thanks for you support Linz! Love to you.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey Missy new
      #170129 - 04/15/05 09:45 AM
MissyB

I emailed you a lengthy note But... I forgot to tell you I get Plaquinil for my auto immune problems..

Re: No, can't do oatmeal being GF-nt new
      #170131 - 04/15/05 09:49 AM
MissyB

Hey see what I mean about GF being tricky? ! Oats are not wheat, so they are gluten free...you need to do some good research on GF..

Augie, have you tried doing pilates? new
      #170259 - 04/15/05 04:54 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I am chronicly C. I started Heather's diet and that helped with the pain but I was stil C. So I started taking an SFS in the AM and a probiotic in the PM and that helped a bit... but still C. One day I found this tape called Pilates for Dummies which was just what I needed. I do it for only a few minutes every morning (just three or four of the excercises) but it must do something to either relax my muscles or push things along... well I don't know exactly why it works but it does help. Also I don't have as much of a "tired stomach" anymore. I found that between the diet, the probiotic, the pilates and the SFS I seem to finaly thank G-d managing my IBS.
Hope this helps. If anything... it couldn't hurt.
Speedy recovery!
Chany

Re: How did the flax seeds make you feel worse?-nt new
      #170757 - 04/18/05 05:55 AM
fishnets

Quote:

How did the flax seeds make you feel worse?

Are you asking me? At small doses I have no reaction to it, but as I go higher I get bloated and trapped gas..you know, the usual uncomfortablness I think I don't do well with seeds.

--------------------
IBS-C

#174871 - 04/28/05 04:41 PM
CandaceM1210

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: Southeast Missouri

Hi
I'm pregnant and majoring suffering with IBS right now.What medication were you talking about the osmotic laxative one?
CandaceM1210

#174874 - 04/28/05 05:04 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

omg you poor thing!your in my prayers

Re: Hi Beth... Help for you new
      #174876 - 04/28/05 05:37 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05

There are two CHEAP things you could do that might make a real difference in your suffering GP and IBS.

For GP:
This was mentioned earlier on this thread. Liquid erythromicin 200mg. A teaspoon is 200mg. You take it 3 times a day. What it does is force your stomach to empty. It's a very low dose antibiotic so it doesn't reduce your tolerance to infection and such. You take it for 2 weeks then take a week off and repeat this cycle so you don't build up an immunity to it's effect on the gastro system.
Cost: $10 or less

IBS-C or Bowel motility impairment (not sure which you have).
I don't know if you have insurance or not but Miralax has a generic called glycolax. I started "going" within 48 hours of taking this. It could be your "C" miracle. For me it's only $10 the Miralax was $20. It would be cheaper to than trying a bunch of different products that would not help you if part of your problem is nerve related. GP often affects the entire tract.

My insurance lets me get 90 day quantities so I pay $10 each for a 90 day supply.

I have been on both these meds for over a year. The problem in me getting so sick was eating mainly liquid dairy. I'm already feeling better after 6 days on this diet.

I wish that you would feel better after 6 days on these meds. They are the most common meds for GP and delayed intestinal emptying. This where you would start for GP and expand from there. I wouldn't "ask" your doctor I would demand the medication. Just be matter-of-fact and be "firm". Have someone go with you that can be firm if you cannot. Tell him/her you are suffering terribly and you want him/her to prescribe this medication. A doctor's first oath is to do no harm. You are being done harm by being medically neglected.

To let you know..... you are fighting against huge odds if you are not taking medication for GP regardless of how "slight" the doc says it is. Your symptoms are not "slight" and the stupid doc should be looking at your symptoms moreso than the tests. GP causes severe pain and nausea that often lands people in the ER multiple times. I don't know one single person that has GP that isn't on medication. It's mandatory for nearly all of us...for life. There is an extremely high chance the diet alone is not going to make you better, but with the meds with the diet you have a good chance. If you tell me what city you are in I can do a doctor search for recommended GP docs in your area.

P.S. I sent you an email regarding your pelvic surgery. Please get back with me on that.

((huggs))
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Candace new
      #175018 - 04/29/05 08:19 AM
michele

Ask your dr about miralax. This is the osmotic laxative that is safe to take during pregnancy.

--------------------

Re: Candace new
      #175130 - 04/29/05 01:43 PM
CandaceM1210

Thanx alot!
CandaceM1210

#175138 - 04/29/05 01:57 PM
CandaceM1210

Thank you! I recently got diagnosed with IBS. Before I got Pregnant I was slowly having to eliminate more and more foods I just couldnt handle eating and once my hormones kicked into overload with pregnancy so did my IBS. I'm 16weeks prego and now have lost over 16lbs. I just got Heather's book EATING FOR
IBS. So tomorrow I'm sending my hubby to the store and loading up on safe foods!
CandaceM1210

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying - erythromycin new
      #175293 - 04/30/05 09:36 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I'm "C" and have been having a problem with delayed gastric emptying too for almost a year. It last 3-5 days during my menses. This in turn seems to cause me to experience constipation problems. My Dr.'s have explained to me (as well as other IBS'ers) that anti's are hard on the stomach and "can" cause further problems for those who suffer IBS.

When I came down sick a couple of months ago, they prescribed me Erythromycin but had to have it changed to Ceftin (liquid form) which is supposed to be one of the mildest on the stomach for IBS suffers. I'm only going by what I've been told.

Heidi

#222002 - 10/29/05 11:56 AM
pedro

Reged: 09/10/04

Hi there. do you or anyone else find the flaxseed oil help with constipation ?. Is it safe to try an oil daily for this ?.

#222010 - 10/29/05 01:28 PM
fishnets

Quote:

Hi there. do you or anyone else find the flaxseed oil help with constipation ?. Is it safe to try an oil daily for this ?.

I take a teaspoon a day and I haven't found it to have any affect. Though I have heard people say that taking oil helps.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3007 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54530

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review