All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169605 - 04/13/05 01:10 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I would try the fatty acid tablets first, like you said. I got relief pretty immediately from that and am doing ok with what I'm on now.

I'm going to ask the doc about a lot of things C related, so I'll post what he says when I get back!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do you have any recipes new
      #169609 - 04/13/05 01:13 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Re: soups/veg. purees. Yes, I make them myself. Do I have recipes? Not exactly. What goes in them? Water or a stock base (m.s.g. free if using and organic) and any vegetable or combination of veg. that appeals to me and doesn't insult me by giving me a gas attack. (I get a lot of inspiration from Raw Recipes, but do not consume it raw, and there are certain things that cause me intense distress and will never appear on my menu.) You can also roast things and add them, i.e. roasted portabella mushrooms, a little celery or whatever plus liquid base of choice. Eat it with SF, i.e. fresh bread of an appropriate type for you, crackers, rice, noodles. I don't take SFS at the moment; they all cause me to BLOAT and feel uncomfortable. I also eat six times a day, mini meals. I also DRINK a lot of water, herbal tea and this helps. Smoothies or pureed fruit, raw or cooked with or after SF help and are delicious when you're stable.
No flax oil for me personally because it gives me the worst gastric spasm and EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink comes out of me within an hour and a half--no joke. And going for a walk or doing some yoga when I feel good, too. Seriously, a little movement--nothing rigorous, but gentle and repetative. My food processor is my most used kitchen tool, without it, I wouldn't be consuming IF. I started small. I guess it's kind of like adult baby food, but yummier, and comforting. I think of it as haute cuisine after seeing Bob
Bulmer do it on Food T.V.'s "Surreal Gourmet." Some of the creations end up great pasta sauces! I never know what I'm going to get, but IT'S NOT BROCCOLI. Just not kidding, seriously!

Wow how stupid! (of Zelnorm)- nt new
      #169621 - 04/13/05 01:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying new
      #169633 - 04/13/05 02:06 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

The balloning procedure I had done was only to help the "emptying" from my tummy INTO my colon. I had a barium test done which sounds similiar to what you had done. I had to drink a bunch of really thick gross stuff and hang around ALL day so they could take x-rays of the barium going through my entire digestive system. Not fun! It took me a WEEK to poop out all that barium!

I have tried the Reglan. It didn't help my tummy any and made me feeling really dizzy, nausous and just plain sick! I took them 5-6 times and don't even think I bothered to keep the rest because they made me feel so awful!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169634 - 04/13/05 02:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Beth, can you do oatmeal? There is an oatmeal with Flax Seed in it, I've never tried it but a freind of mine swears by it!

Elizabeth, I found that I build up a tolerance to Zelnorm in just a week or so. But if I don't take it for a while and than take one on an empty tummy, it will give me D! I typically take miralax daily but if I get into a bad spell, I'll switch to the Zelnorm for a week than switch back to the Miralax. I agree, Zelnorm is no where near the miracle drug they claim but keep it around for bad spells!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying new
      #169642 - 04/13/05 02:33 PM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

They have a drug called erythromycin that is an antibiotic that is used to treat gastric emptying because the side effects of the drug are to move the digestive system. It's supposed to be more effective than reglan and no bad side effects.

Re: Do you take an SFS with the Miralax?-nt new
      #169646 - 04/13/05 02:38 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I use ground flax seed meal as my sfs every morning. I put about 2 tablespoons in my cereal. I took Miralax for several years without taking an sfs, but lately I have been trying different sfs because my body changed after I had a baby (I became more C). I think I do better with the flax seed than without.

Zelnorm new
      #169647 - 04/13/05 02:42 PM
bellshel32

I took the Zelnorm for a short while instead of the Miralax. I thought the Zelnorm only "kind of" worked.

Now I take Miralax daily & if I'm having a particularly bad few days of C or cramping, I'll take a small dose of Zelnorm to kind of "kick start" things. That usually works for me. (I hardly ever have to do that, though.) Maybe that would work for you, too, because you wouldn't be taking the Zelnorm daily.

I agree with you, Michele!! n/t new
      #169649 - 04/13/05 02:47 PM
bellshel32

Re: Thanks, but what are you doing.. new
      #169755 - 04/13/05 11:20 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

A sprinkling of flax/linseeds on your cereal in the morning is a good regulator for me....try it and see. Dried prunes, but not too many, just enough to make you go. I do tend to have a BM every day, but they say that even if you do, it doesn't mean you aren't constipated! ARGH!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54554

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review