All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
I'm so sorry if I was a discouraging voice! new
      #169585 - 04/13/05 12:07 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Please don't give up!! It takes time!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Flaxseed oil... new
      #169591 - 04/13/05 12:34 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

is total fat. It would be like adding straight olive oil to the drink (11-14 grams fat per Tablespoon)

Fat is a major problem for me, especially since I have Gallbladder problems.

And I have some reservations about the Noni juice. If it's like Aloe Vera juice, that is not a good thing, I don't think.

I take 400 mg of magnesium glyconate a day. Maybe I should go higher, but the recommended amount is only 400 mg, so again, don't want to cause more problems.

Have you stopped taking Acacia and your citrucel capsules too? Are you also SFS-free? How about Zelnorm?

Thanks for your suggestions. There must be some IBS-C folks who cannot tolerate SFS who can help.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thanks, but what are you doing.. new
      #169593 - 04/13/05 12:37 PM
Augie

to help the Constipation if you're not taking Acacia? Any suggestions on how to get this stuff out of me?

Any foods that help naturally?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Zelnorm contains lactose new
      #169595 - 04/13/05 12:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I read that Zelnorm contains lactose. I'm lactose intolerant, therefore, this drug would be a disaster for me. Does anyone lactose-intolerant take Zelnorm?

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying new
      #169596 - 04/13/05 12:40 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

What exactly is this, Beth? I had an endoscopy (sp?) a couple of years ago, the one where the stick that big tube down your throat and into your belly. I was told that the opening out of my tummy into my colon was very small and could cause "delayed emptying" or something like that. While they had the tube down my throat, they did what is called a ballooning procedure. I guess they basically stick a balloon on the end of the tube and blow it up to increase the size of the emptying. Good thing I was heavly sedated and slept through it! Is this the same kinda thing you are talking about having? How was it diagnosed?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Flaxseed oil... new
      #169599 - 04/13/05 12:47 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Yes, flaxseed oil is a fat and like you, I don't tolerate fats too well. But we C'ers need fat to be able to "go" so maybe a teaspoon or so of it would be beneficial? I know a girl with D that takes it and she does fine.

I'm off Zelnorm and have been for a week now. Honestly, I'm doing fine, which confirms my suspicions that while Zelnorm was a wonder drug for me for 9 months, it no longer does anything. I still have 3 months supply, so I will keep it around for emergencies.

I do take Citrucel - about 7-9g a day (14-18 caplets) and sometimes I supplement it with acacia. I like acacia for adding to my protein shakes because for some reason, even though it is soy and therefore safe, I don't do well with them unless I specifically eat a SF before drinking them.

I will ask my gastroentrenologist for some ideas when I go see him today.

Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: SFS new
      #169600 - 04/13/05 12:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Pureed berries, i.e. in smoothies, really do help things along for me too, when I'm in C mode. Flax oil, personally gives me
D, so I avoid it. It's hard to find a system or balance that works--too much, too little, too irritating, too expensive. I also find that soups/purees of veggies that I can tolerate, and now enjoy helpful, not to mention full of NUTRIENTS from a real source. Also, I know this from experience, that what works one week may be a disaster the next, so I adapt. Start out with good old fashioned SF--the real thing and when you're stable play with it...chart, journal and see if patterns emerge.

Re:Delayed Gastric Emptying new
      #169601 - 04/13/05 12:52 PM
Augie

They test for delayed gastric emptying by making you eat a meal first. Standard meal is toast, 2 containers of milk (for me they replaced with O.J.) and scrambled eggs injected with a dye. Then, I laid on a table for like 3 or 4 hours while they took x-rays every 20 minutes or so. This is how they can "see" and time how quickly the food empties out. There is a normal time and anything slower than this can be a problem and diagnosed as delayed emptying. Symptoms are bloat, constipation, feeling full quickly after eating small amounts.

They can try to treat it with drugs, like Reglan, but the drugs are controversial as to how safe they are and side effects are horrible! So, they recommend low fiber, and eating 6 tiny meals a day. I don't know how they expect the low fiber to help with the constipation though!

I need to talk to my doctor again about this. Well, once I find a doctor.

Tell me, when they inserted the balloon inside you, was it to help the emptying? Do you think that might help me? I haven't found any info on correcting this situation by a procedure, only by methods I listed above.

--------------------
~ Beth

Do you have any recipes new
      #169602 - 04/13/05 12:55 PM
Augie

for the soup? Do you make it yourself? Are you also a C?

when you say start with a good SF, do you mean food source?

Do you take an SFS? And I think the flax oil is too much fat for me, but I wouldn't mind the D!

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh, Elizabeth new
      #169604 - 04/13/05 01:06 PM
Augie

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I don't have a good GI and am shopping around for another one. So thank you for taking the time to ask yours.

I will think about the flax oil in tiny amounts. I do take flax seed (ground) but that doesn't seem to be helping. I am up to 1T plus 1 tsp a day. But again, this is fiber (which I thought was good before I read about the delayed emptying) so may be causing more problem but the liquid is not fiber. I have the fatty acid tablets too, so may try those first.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3085 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54530

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review