All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brown Rice....
      #168682 - 04/10/05 09:25 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Does anyone else have trouble with brown rice.....? My bowels love white rice, it feels soo soothing and warm when it goes in, but brown rice, as its IF makes me windy and bloated....I heard that brown rice was better for IBS than white rice, plus white rice isn't good for the candida diet, also everyone on here seems to tolerate it well, does it take a while to get used to? - any peeps out there that don't tolerate it well and why??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown Rice.... new
      #168687 - 04/10/05 09:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Actually brown rice isn't "better" for IBS. White rice is pure soluble fiber, which is what IBS'ers need to get and stay stable. Brown rice still has the bran intact, which is insoluble fiber, and it's therefore harder to digest... and for most of us, NOT to be used as the "base" of a meal because of that.

Personally, I can't do brown rice either. Maybe try it with some sort of purely SF food beforehand, like potatoes? I'm not sure if that'll work or not!

Good luck!

#168693 - 04/10/05 10:06 AM
nikjones_uk

Thanks
and...love the new photo xx

#168694 - 04/10/05 11:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I was also wondering this because i'd like to try brown rice. Its alot healthier than white.. but i dunno if its tolerable.

--------------------

#168700 - 04/10/05 11:55 AM
nikjones_uk

I have had it with some white rice, but I guess the whole point of it is that we should cut white rice out completely, coz it is healthier...but it still gave me gas! DOH!

#168719 - 04/10/05 01:57 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i always think i have a problem with it b/c i eat dishes that use brown rice as the base, but i really think its the complex mix of veggies, sauce and flavor. theres a vegan-korean place i eat at and the food is prepared by buddist-chefs who only use flash-cooking [hot-boiling water] but still i have an issue with brown rice for certain dishes. i meant to ask your question but i kept forgetting maybe we're in the same boat and your replies will help me too! BTW--what is the candida diet??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#168742 - 04/10/05 05:27 PM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

I have trouble with all IFs, including brown rice! Are you generally IF intolerant? I have to be very careful with the IF/SF ratio, or I feel really crappy. White rice isn't very exciting, but I agree...it feels soooo good going down. I just know I'm going to feel good after I eat it. I love brown rice, but can't do more than a bite or two, and that's after eating an SF. I might try mixing white and brown rice, maybe in a 2:1 ratio. I'm still at that stage where I'm more interested in being stable than eating healthily.

#168752 - 04/10/05 06:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't eat it because it bothers me the same way. I eat white rice. Wild rice is pretty bad, too.

That stage... new
      #168789 - 04/10/05 11:17 PM
nikjones_uk

...I got to about a month ago, and as I kept to all the safe foods, I ended up intolerant to things! So not sure if the brown rice is causing the probs or not! I guess I should do some elimination, but to do that I really need about a week off work!! Just in case!! haha !

Candida.... new
      #168790 - 04/10/05 11:21 PM
nikjones_uk

Not sure if you have candida or whether I should explain, so I'll explain what it is, just in case - sorry if I'm boring!! haha

Well, Candida albicans is a bad bacteria that lives in everyone, but if the immune system gets low it overtakes and starts eating all the good bacteria. Candida is basically an overgrowth of yeasties, so avoiding yeast and sugar is a very good start. Probiotics are a good idea to start taking, as well as;

- Nothing that is mouldy, e.g cheeses, mushrooms or old veg
- No processed foods
- Definitely no sugar
- Definitely no yeast products, like bread or marmite/vegemite
- Low fruit, as fructose can also help it grow
- Basically just a cardboardy, healthy diet, without too much fruit, sugar and carbs!!

A VERY good herb to take is pau d'arco, I have it in a tincture and it honestly tastes like a glass of whiskey, as it does have alcohol in it, but its an anti fungal and very good for candida...

I hope that helps - any other questions just ask....I like to help where I can xx

I can't eat it. new
      #168798 - 04/11/05 01:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Way too much IF for me. Remember that most docs still recommend lots of fibre (ie. IF) for IBS!!! So that might be where the "brown-rice-good-for-IBS" thing has come from.

Re: I can't eat it. new
      #168870 - 04/11/05 09:03 AM
nikjones_uk

Doctors are BL&&DY useless the lot of em!

I agree! new
      #168875 - 04/11/05 09:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

All my docs tell me to eat anything I want(except milk) because food has nothing to do with IBS. Stupid idiots! My old Internist told me to eat all the donuts, Burger King whoppers with mayo, deep fried french fries, etc that I want!

I am trying to also incorporate brown rice into my diet, as I really believe the white rice worsens my Constipation. There is a reason they put people with Diarrhea on the BRAT diet (banana, rice ,applesauce and toast diet!

I know a lot of people don't think rice causes constipation and that it is just SF, but for me, I feel white rice is constipating. So far, not much luck with the brown rice. I will try doing 1/2 white and 1/2 brown. I tried basamiti brown rice, and found that it made me crampy. So now I will try brown jasmine because I know white jasmine is softer and mushier than regular white rice. So I'm hoping the brown jasmine rice will be mushier than the other brown rice. Who knows, though. This all guess work. I could be totally off base. I just think the brown rice would be less constipating since it is IF.

I changed my white rice bread to brown, and that is easier adjustment than than the grain itself. If you are GF (can't remember) maybe you could see how you do with this change first. Or try doing 1/2 and 1/2 like you said.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Are you doing the candida diet? new
      #168876 - 04/11/05 09:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If so, how is it going for you? Do you feel better? You have me thinking about trying it now. But I don't know how I would give up my fruit and my GF bread.

How much and what kind of fruits can you have? Any veggies you need to avoid besides mushrooms?

I thought a probiotic would take care of the need to do a yeast free diet. I am confused. Are there others who have done or have tried the yeast free diet?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Are you doing the candida diet? new
      #168942 - 04/11/05 12:07 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

Bump

Re: Candida.... new
      #169063 - 04/11/05 06:05 PM
Leshabug

Reged: 04/05/05

Have to ask why you are on the Candida diet??? Do you feel that you have it and how do you know??? Also what are you eating?? Salads, veg,???

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review