All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
? about fats.....obviously to be avoided...
      #168538 - 04/09/05 12:43 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but do you use any in cooking at all? i have NO IDEA how to cook, so I'm really lost here. i sautee meat usually, and use a very little bit of canola oil. I don't cook with a ton of fat to begin with but how do you cook the food and get it not to stick etc?? help!
I'm willing to learn how to cook to manage this disease.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ? about fats.....obviously to be avoided... new
      #168540 - 04/09/05 12:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just use a little! I use 1T oil in sauteeing stuff usually...or tey a spray oil! They use a tiny amount but work really well.

OK, so I'm doing it right. new
      #168541 - 04/09/05 12:57 PM
_Willow

I actually don't LIKE fried food most of the time, so I'm going to respond well to this diet.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#168545 - 04/09/05 01:37 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I usally use Pam Spray, or a little broth/liquid base. I've even cooked in tea or used it as stock. A little juice works well, too, if you can tolerate or like the flavour.

#168560 - 04/09/05 03:44 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

meats- grill, etc.. fish I put some oil on the grill for though...

other things I sautee in broths or if I need fat a little bit of oil.. just a stray coat on the pan normally!

I hardly use oil at all actually except in baking- if you don't use fat things spoil too fast!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

at first new
      #168579 - 04/09/05 05:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

try to use actual recipes so you can see how much goes in and how many grams that equals in a serving. Cooking Light magazine is great for learning how to cook low in fat. Although their recipes are 30-35% fat and we should eat 20-25% fat, so you still sometimes have to lessen the amount of oil. Yet it gives a good idea of how to do it all. Make sure you have a nonstick large saute pan. And do not put oil or butter or margarine on your food after cooking. It takes awhile to get used to that but it ends up tasting better to you. Bread finally tastes like bread and not margarine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

neat! Thanks, I'd have never thought of that. NT new
      #168628 - 04/10/05 12:47 AM
_Willow

NT

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

LOL new
      #168629 - 04/10/05 12:48 AM
_Willow

but I like buttered bread....*whine*
I don't think I'm ready to give up a PB sand either. i can use LESS but can't give up the PB.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I think I'll love my George Foreman even more now, lol -nt new
      #168630 - 04/10/05 12:49 AM
_Willow

nt

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

PB occasionally is fine for many of us... new
      #168639 - 04/10/05 01:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...but I'd give it up just for a little while to start the stabilisation process. And then just have it after and with SF.

yep that's me new
      #168647 - 04/10/05 04:30 AM
Little Minnie

I have the reduced fat PB on a sandwich almost every week day. I use HFCS free bread, homemade non-HFCS jam and just less than 1T reduced fat PB. It comes to 280 calories, 7-8 grams of fat, 5 grams of fiber.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: LOL new
      #168657 - 04/10/05 05:47 AM
khyricat

try non dairy replacements for butter... in small quantities- you'll still taste them.. or try other subs- like roasted garlic- yummy and fat free or virtually (depends on how its made) and not strong garlic taste at all.....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but new
      #168669 - 04/10/05 07:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

isn't important to keep fats (reasonably, of course) especially if you are C? To keep you "lubricated"?

But you guys already said that Heather says low fat not no fat!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong, but new
      #168671 - 04/10/05 07:46 AM
khyricat

yes, but since so much food has fat in it, even chicken breast.. by its nature, I don't add fats in cooking unless neccesary... especially because I'd rather get that fat in things that I'd have ot cut out otherwise like prepared foods, nuts, peanut butter, etc....

Also- avoiding frying foods in quantities of fat doesn't mean leaving it out in other ways- some of the sauces, etc have it... I make gravy from the pan drippings when I roasta whole chicken, I sometimes eat a piece other then breastmeat... but I skim the gravy so its not AS fatty... for someone who grew up on schmaltz (chicken fat) on toast thats something I can't give up.... but I get as much fat out of it as possibel and still get the chicken flavor!

my overall fat intake is about 20-25%, but most peoples these days is MUCH higher, and I have ot fight to keep ti low.. and htings like scrambled eggs- todays second breakfast have to have SOME fat to keep from sticking!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Thanks Amie, btw... new
      #168672 - 04/10/05 07:56 AM
Augie

Did you see my question to you about fruits?? I bumped it, but I guess you still missed it! Was wondering if you eat any fruits at all, since you posted you can't have them. Which ones can you have and how often? Just being noisy! I thought a couple a day would be okay.

How did you determine you were fructose intolerant?

--------------------
~ Beth

I use .5 TSP in most sauteeing, along with a bit of Pam -nt- new
      #168684 - 04/10/05 09:30 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Thanks Amie, btw... new
      #168729 - 04/10/05 03:52 PM
khyricat

I can eat fruit- apples, etc.. but not the JUICE... there isn't enough fiber and the fruit juice mades me D... no clue why... it just happens... I do fine with tomatoes for example, and baked apples, and banana breads, but if I drink a cup of any type of juice other then tomato I seem to run straight for the bathroom.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#168735 - 04/10/05 04:07 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

khyricat, I just noticed your note on fruit juice. I have been studying for years. There is a wonderful doctor in Idaho who has written several books on IBS. He pretty much is in sync with this group. He has researched this for about 40 years. I can't get clear into it, but it truly fits and adds to info here. But the problem with juice is fructose. It's like "diabetes of the gut" as I understand it. It irritates the gut much like other things get you and/or other people.

I had a fabulous doctor in 1980-82 who taught me a lot. She says IF you drink juice dilute 6:1 not 3:1. I even take it further usually. I MAY be having some problems right now as I cannot eat anything I cannot see through, and I'm drinking some apple juice et al. I have diluted, but I'm going to dilute further. It's just that I'm so hungry. Fructose and corn syrup (along with sorbitol, mannitol, etc.) can just play havoc. I'd love to share some of this neat doctor's findings if anyone is interested.

One neat story was how a little boy was actually bleeding from his gut. He narrowed it down to his toothpaste. He got very little down his throat, but ANY was too much. And the stories are numerous and helpful. He worked with Native American Indians and narrowed down their gut problems (I'm part NAI, and I seem to have inherited their milk intolerance...this is VERY typical of Indians).

Try just flavoring your water with fruit juice and see if you can tolerate that. If not, you are very sensitive to fructose so read labels (which you probably do already).

Lindsay

#168739 - 04/10/05 04:53 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey there - just to add another piece of info to the conversation - I am mainly a C and can tolerate a great deal of fats - it actually helps me go - I can have up to four tablespoons of olive oil at a time, lots of nuts, nut butters, olives etc - but never have deep fried. so maybe you are one of the lucky ones!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

If you insist, linz, but... new
      #168772 - 04/10/05 08:04 PM
_Willow

I'm only doing it for you!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I know, I'm a little puzzd new
      #168773 - 04/10/05 08:14 PM
_Willow

so I think I'll keep them low.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I can handle that, minnie, new
      #168774 - 04/10/05 08:23 PM
_Willow

I'll need your support, lol.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: LOL new
      #168778 - 04/10/05 08:31 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

but I like buttered bread....*whine*
I don't think I'm ready to give up a PB sand either. i can use LESS but can't give up the PB.

Oh trust me you don't have to give it up! I use "fat free" squeeze margerine, to me it tastes great on toast It has no dairy in it either. Also, try using low fat peanut butter. Personally I just use regular(natural kind only), but not everyone can handle that.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Thanks Amie, btw...Me too Amie! new
      #168782 - 04/10/05 09:53 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

One cup of oj and I'm dashing to the loo for hours! Drives me crazy. Sigh, I really miss dark grape juice, yum!

--------------------
Amy

PB fake ice cream new
      #168815 - 04/11/05 04:31 AM
Little Minnie

There is a soy ice cream that comes in chocolate PB that is divine! I can only buy it at the HFS in Minneapolis so I am anxiously waiting my next visit! But nutz over chocolate Luna bars are very peanut buttery too. (there is a new flavor also called peanut butter cookie but it is high in fat- 6g. I want to try it sometime as a dessert and not a snack.)

Here is a pb cookie recipe. As you can see it is 31% fat but as a dessert after other low fat food they are ok. I use reduced fat skippy and that will drop the fat more. It drops to 1.875 fat grams per cookie from 2.4.

Peanut Butter Icebox Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons stick margarine, softened use a dairyfree kind like Willow Run
2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter use reduced fat skippy
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

Combine first 3 ingredients, and set aside. Beat margarine and peanut butter at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugars, beating at medium speed until well-blended. Add vanilla and egg white, and beat well. Add flour mixture; stir well. Turn dough out onto wax paper; shape into a 6-inch log. Wrap log in wax paper; freeze 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cut log into 24 (1/4-inch) slices, and place slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on wire racks.

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Variation: Add 1 ounce of grated semisweet chocolate to the flour mixture.

Yield: 2 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie)

CALORIES 69 (31% from fat); FAT 2.4g (satfat 0.4g, monofat 0.7g, polyfat 0.5g); PROTEIN 1.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 10.8g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 9mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 53mg; CALCIUM 7mg;

--------------------

#168853 - 04/11/05 07:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yeah, that's Heather's explanation, too. People with IBS are sensitive to fructose and fruit juice is high in fructose. As I understand it, the juice is worse than the fruit because you consume a lot more fructose faster with juice than you do if you have to actually eat the whole fruit. She recommends treating them like insoluble fiber and eating them carefully with high SF food. I imagine that cutting them with water would also help because it would reduce how much fructose you're getting in any one glass. But I would still lay down a good SF base.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Amie, So you can have... new
      #168877 - 04/11/05 09:27 AM
Augie

Any fruit? And any amount in one day just not juice?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Amie, So you can have... new
      #168910 - 04/11/05 10:51 AM
khyricat

not realyl.. but in moderation I have been able to have all fruits I've tried so far.... emphasis is moderation... and offset by having a SF base beforehand... juice will trigger me in minute qunatities though!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Amie, So you can have... new
      #168929 - 04/11/05 11:48 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Just cutting in....

Beth I can have any of the SF fruits (peeled and BAKED apples or pears, raw bananas) pretty much as much as I want all day. Other fruits I rarely eat, and then only in very small amounts with lots of SF. I don't drink fruit juice either, though occassionally I have some diluted cranberry juice.

I think it is the fructose in the juice that kills me, and with the whole (non-SF) fruits it's probably the IF + the fructose.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15412

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review