All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
It is a great phrase, isn't it? I first read it ... new
      #168711 - 04/10/05 12:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

in Heather's "The First Year-IBS". I haven't seen the phrase in a lot of other IBS stuff, so I kind of think Heather coined it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It is for me... new
      #168744 - 04/10/05 05:38 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I've just recovered in the last year from anorexia and slight bulimia. The thing is, I developed IBS around the same time I started with the ED and my IBS was almost non-existant when I wasn't eating anything - makes sense, right?

Too bad I don't wish to starve myself anymore... although when the IBS gets pretty bad, it's tempting.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

and you are ME! new
      #168745 - 04/10/05 05:40 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I still get panicked when the bloating gets really bad - ya know, when your tummy isn't hard yet, but it's still pretty bloated? I get freaked out that it's fat and then a few hours later, when it's OBVIOUS that it was just bloating, I'm fine.

Stupid EDs!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

My GI actually said it too! new
      #168800 - 04/11/05 01:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think it's a pretty commonly accepted theory.

Re: My GI actually said it too! new
      #168849 - 04/11/05 07:20 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've read the theory in other places, I just haven't seen the exact phrase too often. I guess I thought Heather coined it because it seems too clever to have come out of a medical research paper.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Eating disorders-IBS connection new
      #168855 - 04/11/05 07:48 AM
satree

Reged: 02/20/05

I think that's the main reason I have IBS-C... I abused laxatives for close to 3 years, I have been anorexic since 17 and I purged for a bit... now I'm recovering at 21. My colon will most definitely have to be removed in my lifetime according to my dr., and I'll have to take zelnorm forever, so yes I think their is a HUGE connection between the 2. Atleast, there is for me. I guess it depends on the individual's case.

Beacon1961 new
      #168859 - 04/11/05 08:20 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Unrelated to this thread, BUT a couple of us South Jerseyers are having alittle get together (about three of us so far), and you live in the area! Check out the thread on the "IBS Get together board", I will bump the post for you, originally posted by *Melissa*. Feel free to email me or her about it!

--------------------
-Sheri

The colon removed... new
      #168866 - 04/11/05 08:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

because of the laxative use? I had an eating disorder for years and I never heard of removing the colon to help the IBS. But I didn't abuse laxatives. Please say more on this!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Eating disorders-IBS new
      #168868 - 04/11/05 08:55 AM
Augie

I also suffered from severe anorexia and a bit of bulimia thrown in, for about 18 years!! Majority of my life. My weight plummeted down to 69 pounds (I'm 5'5 1/2") and most of my adult life was spent weighing about 80 pounds.

While I have recovered from the eating disorder (at last) the consequences remain for a life time? How totally unfair. For so long I wasn't able to eat yummy foods because of the ED and now, when I want to finally eat chocolate cake, milk shakes, pizza, my IBS won't let me. So, my life will go without ever having enjoyed the joy of these scrumptious foods. NOT FAIR.

While I know I cannot change the past, I still beat myself up for having probably caused my present pain and symptoms. My doctor told me it would be temporary, until my body got used to having food in my system again. But that was over 3 years ago! I think the pain and gas and constipation and bloat... I think they will be with me until I am no longer on this planet.

--------------------
~ Beth

Mary new
      #168869 - 04/11/05 09:00 AM
Augie

As you know, I am also IBS-C, have high gluten antibodies, and now you know I also suffered from an eating disorder.

I am wondering if you feel there is a connection between the eating disorder and the high gluten antibodies? I know the IBS is probably due to my ED as it was a very tramatic "insult to the gut" (stupid me). But do you thing our gluten intolerance could somehow be connected to the Eating disorder as well?

Did you have a biopsy that showed flattened villi? Or just the blood tests? Very curious on your thoughts about this. I am thinking maybe my eating disorder has caused the high antibodies, and maybe I really do NOT need to be GF. That my body has just screwed up my blood work somehow.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7130

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review