All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Wow! You're just who I need to talk to!! new
      #168407 - 04/08/05 05:45 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

So it is possible, huh? Are you a C as well? I'm mostly C but get bouts of D, that are not vicious.

If you can do it, then i can too. I have a barium swallow on Mon, and after that I'll be looking into "the diet" One last week of sin, SIGH!!

And portions.

And do you get hearttburn too? I find eating helps that so it's another reason for the gain. I am just at my wit's end. After 4 mos at the gym and seeing not one result, not one POUND, I am prety frustrated.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wow! You're just who I need to talk to!! new
      #168417 - 04/08/05 07:04 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I had heartburn - back when I was first diagnosed. It went away after I was on the diet for a while. I don't know whether it was the diet or the weight loss or a combination of the two.

I was IBS-D - but then I went the other way because I think I cut out too many insolubles. So I can swing either way now. I rarely have trouble either way anymore though. I am pretty stable. I usually have bloating and cramping -- and can stop it before it gets any worse than that.

You know you're frustration at the gym could be because of the way you are working out -- or that you're diet is sabotaging you -- or both. I know I used to do these workouts called The FIRM and never lost anything. Then I switched to a less demanding routine and I did start losing. Who knows? My body needed the other kind of workout. Maybe if you switch things up you'll have better results.

Also - sleep can make a big difference. I got an article in my e-mail on how losing sleep can make you gain weight. I used to track my weight loss and I would lose less (or none at all/gain weight) on the weeks when my dh was out of town and I didn't sleep well. So that can make a difference too.

Edited by kshsmom (04/08/05 07:08 PM)

Re: Are any of you struggling with your weight? new
      #168419 - 04/08/05 07:18 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I will tell you that I use to be a curvy 12 and at one time a 14. But this IBS diagnosis since having a baby made me lose a total of 55 pounds since last January! I must say though that I am noticing an increase in weight these past few months since I am stable and am able to eat a more variety of things. Weight has always been a struggle for me growing up as I was always called the big girl. (being 5ft 9 inches and weighing 155) It nearly knocked me over when someone called me skinny after being so sick with the IBS. Only now when I see pictures of myself do I realize how much my weight had changed.

I would say that if you follow this diet and watch the sweets you should be able to lose weight. I dont how much you like to exercise (me I am not really into it) But I would suggest even walking every night. It is a tough struggle, but remember to be happy with yourself and don't worry what size society thinks woman should be. Do it for yourself to be healthy and happy! Good luck!

Angela, I teach too! new
      #168437 - 04/08/05 11:29 PM
_Willow

I am a C mostly, so I haven't had much luck with losing due to IBS,lol. But I will be going on the diet once my barium swallow comes back, and I know I'm not making things worse. My barium enema came back normal, AKA IBS. I don't mind exercise, I just am constrained in that Dh works nights, I teach and my little girl has to be with me when I work out!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Huh, is that right?? new
      #168438 - 04/08/05 11:34 PM
_Willow

I usually get 6 hours of sleep and a nap in every day. That's the upside to having a rambunctious toddler up till 11 PM. Late nap!
Anyhow, I think I'm much more C than anything but I do get D as well.
The gym was circuit training, the best workout you could do, and I was on Weight Watchers too for a while. I definitely sabotaged myself a time or two but I really worked up a sweat and saw no results. It was just devastating.

But I think I'll USE my ball and weights and bands at home, like you, and walk whenever I can. I just need to figure out where the HECK in this tiny place to set it up. Right know it's all stuffed in closets. I bought a jumpo rope too, thought of giving myself a coronary, lol!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks, Maria new
      #168442 - 04/09/05 12:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I also sneak in more calorie burn new
      #168464 - 04/09/05 05:57 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I do that by parking further away from the grocery store - using the stairs - instead of the elevator... doing something actve during the commercials of my fav TV show. I never kill myself working out - but I try to stay more active all the time. That ball is a lot of fun!

#168468 - 04/09/05 06:58 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Marija,

I can relate to your experiences here. I have had IBS since I was about 11 ir 12. I didn't even know what that was back then, nor did anyone else. My body image was messed up, not too mention satiety cues etc. I have been down the same paths-anorexic, bulemic, and anxiety eating-compulsive. I take each day at a time and have also learned to focus on health and not weight.

My weight fluctuates. i was a svelt 110 lbs about 7 years ago when I was in one of my close to anorexic modes. Today I weigh in anywhere from 125 to 130 depending on what the week has been like. It is vry easy for me to gain weight if I am not careful. I gained 72 pounds when I had my son.

Thanks for sharing - I don't talk about my disorders much. It took me over 20 yrs to get a grip on them. I do attribute my celiac and IBS to the self image problem and contributing to my obsession with never feeling or looking thin.

Here's to our health!!!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#168469 - 04/09/05 06:59 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Marija,

I can relate to your experiences here. I have had IBS since I was about 11 or 12. I didn't even know what that was back then, nor did anyone else. My body image was messed up, not too mention satiety cues etc. I have been down the same paths-anorexic, bulemic, and anxiety eating-compulsive. I take each day at a time and have also learned to focus on health and not weight.

My weight fluctuates. I was a svelt 110 lbs about 7 years ago when I was in one of my close to anorexic modes. Today I weigh in anywhere from 125 to 130 depending on what the week has been like. It is very easy for me to gain weight if I am not careful. I gained 72 pounds when I had my son.

Thanks for sharing - I don't talk about my disorders much. It took me over 20 yrs to get a grip on them. I do attribute my celiac and IBS to the self image problem and contributing to my obsession with never feeling or looking thin.

Here's to our health!!!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Btw... new
      #168512 - 04/09/05 11:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you need to get checked out for GERDs as this can lead to horrific complications if left untreated (but is also really easy to treat! ). It might not just be the IBS and weight that's cuasing the IBS.

Good luck with starting the diet! Be as adventurous as possible and you won't miss out so much! I love my diet now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1058 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review