All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I can relate to you -- but I am a little farther down the road new
      #167851 - 04/07/05 05:43 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I am an asthmatic -- and this has been a rough season for me. I was in the ER twice in two weeks and on prednisone and all kinds of extra meds on top of my advair - plus still having to use my nebulizer.... it was a tough time.

In any case, what I wanted to tell you is that I have had IBS and known it for about 2 1/2 years now. Since I switched to the diet I have lost 54 pounds. I did it slowly - between 1 & 3 pounds a week - and sometimes I did stop losing. This past winter I gained back 5 pounds - only to start losing again once spring hit. I want to lose another 7 - 10 pounds. That would put me at 122 - 125 - and at 5 foot 1 inch - that's normal not tiny. We'll see if my body agrees with me.

Now -- I am not dieting though --- I am just eating like I am supposed to for IBS -- though I do watch portions so I don't get too much fat -- or too many cals overall. (That will trigger an attack for me) I have dessert though (ADB brownie!!!)- I eat candies, I drink a mug of choc soy milk ..... So it's not a "diet" in my mind.

I just wanted to encourage you that it can happen. I know that after the first year my cholesterol had gone down - and I felt much better. It made my overall health better - not just my IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yeah this diet can be helpful! new
      #167869 - 04/07/05 06:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The best tip I have (ie. what I didn't do and wish now that I had) is to not go over the top on the sweet stuff. That way you'll be getting pretty healthy and generally low-cal foods. I was so chuffed to be able to eat brownies I totally overdid it and gained more than the weight I initially lost just from following this diet.

LINZ! new
      #167875 - 04/07/05 07:30 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I was going to ask you to post the full pic- your wedding dress looks really nice, simple and classy- any more pics of it for me?? pleaaaaaseeeee?

--------------------
S.

so very true... new
      #167877 - 04/07/05 07:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have to fight to maintain my weight on thsis diet with my exercise levels... DH (when he sticks to it) eats with me and has lost some and mostly maintained- sometimes he eats junk and gains some but... he is a severe asthmatic and on steroids as well...

Good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Yes.... new
      #167881 - 04/07/05 07:45 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

balance is the key -- I have to remind myself of that with every pan of brownies I make.

Re: Are any of you struggling with your weight? new
      #167889 - 04/07/05 08:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, its a daily struggle for me!! My profile picture is from about a year ago. I was going to send you a personal email but I don't see it in your profile. I'm also a size 14-16 right now. A couple of years ago, I lost 40 pounds and got down to a size 6!!!! I did it by doing FIVE miles very morning on my eliptical trainer. I've had a very hard year, three miscarriages and a severly sprained ankle that develop major complications. Becuase of the ankle injury, I'm not allowed to do any weight bearing activities, not real conducive to weight loss!!! So, knowing that I HAVE to do something, I joined the YMCA and now take an after work swim aerbocis class three nights a week. Its a constant battle.

And, to add insult to injury, I was shopping in one of my former favorite stores, The Limited and asked for a size 14 and this aneroxic little chic says to me with a sneer "We don't have Plus sizes here!" Well, they used to carry 14's and since when is a 14 a PLUS size!!!! The severe bloating I get doesn't help ones self image either!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Wow! new
      #167936 - 04/07/05 09:57 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Linz! You look beautiful! I love the dress and your hair. Very elegant, sophisticated, yet sweet. You have great eyes and eyebrows. Thanks for sharing the pic! I'm probably never getting married, so it's fun to see others in their bridal gowns.

Re: Wow! new
      #167938 - 04/07/05 10:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree Linz, you look absolutely LOVELY!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#167944 - 04/07/05 10:08 AM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Well, I'm beautifully curvy at a size 16.

Of course, I'd like to shed a few so I can have a better selection of clothing, but I try not to worry too much about it right now and focus on the more urgent things, like getting the IBS under control. I'm really just starting on that. Previously I had an eating disorder which manifested in compulsive eating, anorexia and bulimia, at different times. I blame the eating disorders in part on IBS and GERD since they really screwed up my ability to feel hunger/satiety.

Addressing the GERD really helps me feel the hunger/satiety cues.

I don't believe in dieting on account of casual dieting leading to eating disorders for me, but I do believe I'm on a good path to controlling the digestive disorders and eating healthily. I did start exercising in a sane manner about 2 years ago and dropped about 12 or so pounds in the process.

I guess what I would say is that as much as it pains us all, you're better off addressing the health problems and maybe weight loss will follow.

Good luck!

#167945 - 04/07/05 10:10 AM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Oh, and I'll add my 2 cents on Linz being absolutely stunning on her wedding day!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1594 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review