All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Healthy weight?
      #167495 - 04/06/05 06:44 AM

Unregistered

I think that due to IBS I am a bit underweight. I am sure many of you have dealt with this in the past. I am currenctly trying to regain some of what I have lost. What is a healthy weight for a 20 yr old girl at 5'6? thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Healthy weight? new
      #167502 - 04/06/05 07:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, personally, I think its relative! I'm 5'8 and feel great at 135-140. I'm currently a bit (ok, a lot) heavier than that right now, its been a rough year for me and I tend to put on weight instead of lose it! I think the medical "people" say that at 5 feet for a girl you should be 100 pounds and every inch over that you should add 5-8 pounds so at 5'6 you should be in the 130 range?? But I've also had a dr tell me that when I was 135 pounds, I was 15 pounds OVERweight??!!! So, I don't put too much stock in what the medical "people" say!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

It's definitely relative new
      #167504 - 04/06/05 07:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Arbitrarily picking a weight doesn't take into account factors like bone structure and build, or muscle, which weighs more than fat. Everyone in my family is "dense", we weigh a lot more than people think we do for our size. So I'm 5'2", and I range between 125-130. If it were a perfect world, I'd weigh less than that, but the truth is that I look and feel healthy at this weight, and I'd really have to drastically diet to get any smaller. To give you an idea, 125 is what doctors would consider the upper limit of what I should weigh for my height.

Re: It's definitely relative new
      #167527 - 04/06/05 09:03 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Casey- we're the same height and at about the same weight- I dont' like hwow I look when its less then 120, why I'm fighting to keep my weight level.. since I actually did drop below that recently... but I am muscular

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#167542 - 04/06/05 09:34 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

According to BMI (Body Mass Index) a healthy weight for 5'6" is anywhere between 124lbs and 155lbs - but I'd qualify that by echoing what Michele, Casey and Amie said: it's very relative. That calculation does not take into consideration body composition (particularly lots of muscle).

However, that seems to be more a concern if the number is coming back telling you're overweight (i.e. if you weighed more than 155 lbs). If you weigh less than 124 though, you might want to think about trying to gain some. Still though, it's quite relative. You know best if you need to gain or lose weight.

But you're so TINY! new
      #167626 - 04/06/05 12:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That's my ideal weight range at the same height (not that I'm anywhere NEAR that atm), but I am typically very muscle-ly and have gigantic shoulders! You really ARE dense, aren't you? In a clever way.

#167634 - 04/06/05 12:34 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Weight is a major issue for me. I am 20 and 5'6 and I weigh 108. Its soo hard for me to gaina nd I hate the way I look. My lowest was 102. My doctor and I have a good relationship, everytime I vist he jokingly calls me fatso LOL. But on the IBS diet it hard to gain weight. Its even harder when you have D at least once a week that flushes out everything you ate.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Gaining on this diet... new
      #167635 - 04/06/05 12:37 PM
Linz

...shouldn't be too hard! I know you can't have the high-fat stuff, but that's not a good idea for putting weigh on healthily anyway. LOTS of carbs and low-fat protein is the way to go...and sweet treats like ADBs! Plus, snack all the time - it's good for your IBS too.

I took Immodium daily (1 tablet every morning) when stabilising and it really helped me. Maybe you should consider this?

#167645 - 04/06/05 12:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hey, I'm also 5'6 and 108 pounds! That's with a 3 pound gain since October '04. My highest weight was 132 pounds at age 17; my lowest 104 pounds during my first year of IBS (10 years ago) and then again this past summer due to some infection (which started up the IBS symptoms after being stable for a while--sigh).

I'm 28 with a medium frame and feel my best at 125 pounds, but I know it will take a while to get there. Also, I try not to focus too much on what the scale says but more on how I feel. Right now, I feel like my head's really big compared to my body.

That sounds like a really healthy attitude! new
      #167649 - 04/06/05 12:55 PM
Linz

How many Hollywood women do you see who look like lollipop sticks as their bodies are too tiny for their heads!

How you feel is the best way to go by...I'm supposedly a bit heavy at MY ideal weight of 126 pounds, but it's what I feel happy at. Jus gotta get there now!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1782 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review