All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
A helpful reminder before posting a question
      #167285 - 04/05/05 01:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

A warm welcome to all the new posters! It's good to have you here.

Just want to make a suggestion that you check out Heathers Thread in the front of the Eating Boad titled "New folks, please read this post first"! Lot's of helpful information. It will definately help introduce you to how to make best use of this website.

In particular, she has a note about the search button.

Quoting :
"Thanks for joining us! If you're new, one of the best ways to find information on a topic is to use the "search" button at the top of the board. Choose the word you want to search for (bloating, fiber supplement, travel, restaurants, etc.) and change the date range to "all posts". This will show you all posts on the board on the topic you're interested in. The same questions tend to come up over and over again, so there is a wealth of information on the boards on many topics already. It's important to search for a topic before posting a question as this helps keep the board from getting cluttered with repetitive posts (and redundant answers).

There are ongoing posts about eating out at restaurants, traveling safely, soluble fiber supplements, lists of safe foods to buy in the US, Australia, and UK, and patient-recommended doctors who are great to their IBS patients. You can find all of these popular topics by simply searching".

It has really helped me to do a search on questions like specific Soluble Fiber supplements, specific foods, getting recipes, etc.

I know sometimes you just want an answer right away! But really, doing a search first can bring up a ton of previous answers that just may help you!

But sometimes even the search doesn't really answer the question. Believe me, I have needed to post many times because I need further information. But the search method is a good place to start.

Again, welcome, and I encourage you all to read all Heathers posts at the top of this board. They are just so helpful!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! new
      #167308 - 04/05/05 01:42 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Beth--

What a friendly reminder! I also find the search option very useful and fast! I wanted to mention something similar, but I knew I wouldn't say it right. You, however, said it all so nicely and clearly.

Hooray and thank you!

Maria

Re: A helpful reminder before posting a question new
      #167318 - 04/05/05 02:20 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Is it really that bad here? I am a Mod on another board and I've found the newbie questions to be quite helpful. Sometimes it reminds us that have been there a while about things we may have forgotten, or it can even bring up new ideas/thoughts about the topic.

For example, I'm sure that oatmeal has been discussed a lot, but how much talk has there been about the potential for gluten being in oatmeal until recently?

To be clear I do believe in using the search engine and reading the FAQ, and if their question is fully answered there then there is no need to ask it. But I hope that we don't stifle conversations on old topics because as I mentioned before we can learn new things on old topics.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

Oh, you made me feel so much better! new
      #167320 - 04/05/05 02:26 PM
Augie

I wanted to post this, but not sound like an old meany! I know we are first starting, we just want a fast answer to our numerous questions, so we jump right in a desparate search for answers. I know I did!

But the search button is so usefull for getting so much more information from the whole 2 years or more the website has been active. I love the search button for that reason!

--------------------
~ Beth

#167321 - 04/05/05 02:29 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh, and just in case you get the wrong impression from my post, I don't think you are a meanie.

very good advice new
      #167335 - 04/05/05 03:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think it is helpful and not mean to explain where answers are. People get more out of the forum when knowing how it all works. I wouldn't want to discourage people from asking questions though by any means. I know you used the search button a lot when starting and really learned a lot that way- along with questions.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

A moderator's viewpoint new
      #167349 - 04/05/05 04:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be clear, nobody is discouraging ANYONE from posting questions! This is just a reminder that the search function is available, it works, and it's a fantastic source of fast information. There is also a TON of information available on the rest of the site, and pretty much all of the basic diet questions can be answered by reading the material that Heather has so graciously provided elsewhere on the site (not on the boards) for free.

Also, searching CAN give you good answers to your questions much faster than waiting for someone to answer... especially if someone is posting on a weekend, when most of us aren't around much.

As one of the moderators here, I definitely appreciate Beth's post. Thank you, Beth. I know the boards and the diet can be overwhelming at first, and it's good to have reminders of what *other* tools are available to us here on these boards.

Honestly, the boards get a lot of traffic, and I know that personally, if I see a question for the 100th time, something that could easily be answered by doing a search, I skip it and give my time and expertise to the person who's asking something that hasn't been asked before. I can't be the only one on here who does that.

#167350 - 04/05/05 04:04 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

beth you are so cute :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Thanks for your support new
      #167380 - 04/05/05 06:31 PM
Augie

You said what I was trying to say. Thanks, Casey!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks! new
      #167381 - 04/05/05 06:36 PM
Augie

I was in no way trying to dissaude anyone who needs help from posting a question. Goodness no. Just suggesting the search button and Heather's posts as a good starting point!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review