All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
A helpful reminder before posting a question
      #167285 - 04/05/05 01:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

A warm welcome to all the new posters! It's good to have you here.

Just want to make a suggestion that you check out Heathers Thread in the front of the Eating Boad titled "New folks, please read this post first"! Lot's of helpful information. It will definately help introduce you to how to make best use of this website.

In particular, she has a note about the search button.

Quoting :
"Thanks for joining us! If you're new, one of the best ways to find information on a topic is to use the "search" button at the top of the board. Choose the word you want to search for (bloating, fiber supplement, travel, restaurants, etc.) and change the date range to "all posts". This will show you all posts on the board on the topic you're interested in. The same questions tend to come up over and over again, so there is a wealth of information on the boards on many topics already. It's important to search for a topic before posting a question as this helps keep the board from getting cluttered with repetitive posts (and redundant answers).

There are ongoing posts about eating out at restaurants, traveling safely, soluble fiber supplements, lists of safe foods to buy in the US, Australia, and UK, and patient-recommended doctors who are great to their IBS patients. You can find all of these popular topics by simply searching".

It has really helped me to do a search on questions like specific Soluble Fiber supplements, specific foods, getting recipes, etc.

I know sometimes you just want an answer right away! But really, doing a search first can bring up a ton of previous answers that just may help you!

But sometimes even the search doesn't really answer the question. Believe me, I have needed to post many times because I need further information. But the search method is a good place to start.

Again, welcome, and I encourage you all to read all Heathers posts at the top of this board. They are just so helpful!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! new
      #167308 - 04/05/05 01:42 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Beth--

What a friendly reminder! I also find the search option very useful and fast! I wanted to mention something similar, but I knew I wouldn't say it right. You, however, said it all so nicely and clearly.

Hooray and thank you!

Maria

Re: A helpful reminder before posting a question new
      #167318 - 04/05/05 02:20 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Is it really that bad here? I am a Mod on another board and I've found the newbie questions to be quite helpful. Sometimes it reminds us that have been there a while about things we may have forgotten, or it can even bring up new ideas/thoughts about the topic.

For example, I'm sure that oatmeal has been discussed a lot, but how much talk has there been about the potential for gluten being in oatmeal until recently?

To be clear I do believe in using the search engine and reading the FAQ, and if their question is fully answered there then there is no need to ask it. But I hope that we don't stifle conversations on old topics because as I mentioned before we can learn new things on old topics.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike

Oh, you made me feel so much better! new
      #167320 - 04/05/05 02:26 PM
Augie

I wanted to post this, but not sound like an old meany! I know we are first starting, we just want a fast answer to our numerous questions, so we jump right in a desparate search for answers. I know I did!

But the search button is so usefull for getting so much more information from the whole 2 years or more the website has been active. I love the search button for that reason!

--------------------
~ Beth

#167321 - 04/05/05 02:29 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh, and just in case you get the wrong impression from my post, I don't think you are a meanie.

very good advice new
      #167335 - 04/05/05 03:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think it is helpful and not mean to explain where answers are. People get more out of the forum when knowing how it all works. I wouldn't want to discourage people from asking questions though by any means. I know you used the search button a lot when starting and really learned a lot that way- along with questions.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

A moderator's viewpoint new
      #167349 - 04/05/05 04:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be clear, nobody is discouraging ANYONE from posting questions! This is just a reminder that the search function is available, it works, and it's a fantastic source of fast information. There is also a TON of information available on the rest of the site, and pretty much all of the basic diet questions can be answered by reading the material that Heather has so graciously provided elsewhere on the site (not on the boards) for free.

Also, searching CAN give you good answers to your questions much faster than waiting for someone to answer... especially if someone is posting on a weekend, when most of us aren't around much.

As one of the moderators here, I definitely appreciate Beth's post. Thank you, Beth. I know the boards and the diet can be overwhelming at first, and it's good to have reminders of what *other* tools are available to us here on these boards.

Honestly, the boards get a lot of traffic, and I know that personally, if I see a question for the 100th time, something that could easily be answered by doing a search, I skip it and give my time and expertise to the person who's asking something that hasn't been asked before. I can't be the only one on here who does that.

#167350 - 04/05/05 04:04 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

beth you are so cute :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Thanks for your support new
      #167380 - 04/05/05 06:31 PM
Augie

You said what I was trying to say. Thanks, Casey!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks! new
      #167381 - 04/05/05 06:36 PM
Augie

I was in no way trying to dissaude anyone who needs help from posting a question. Goodness no. Just suggesting the search button and Heather's posts as a good starting point!

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth, even I'd forgotten about that post! new
      #167454 - 04/06/05 03:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I could have done links to that instead of explaining it not nearly as well!

And yeah post away if you don't find an answer...it's just that some topics come up almost every week!

Man you put that so well! -nt new
      #167482 - 04/06/05 05:38 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

How about a couple of new Board acronyms... new
      #167976 - 04/07/05 11:30 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

ISOT (I Searched On That) - for posters who looked for information and didn't find anything, want still more info, have something new to say, are now hopelessly confused , etc.

PSOT (Please Search On That) - for responders who know there's a wealth of information already available on the Boards for whatever issue has been raised.

As someone who's relatively new to the Boards, people have suggested that I do a search on something I've brought up and I haven't taken it badly. As Augie says, sometimes I just really, really wanted an answer and didn't stop to think that I could do a Search - so a reminder is always in order.

It was brave of you, Augie, to make a point you thought was important, knowing you might be misunderstood, and I was happy to see that almost everyone who responded agreed with you.

I also think Atomic Rose said something very important when she reminded everyone about all the information that's available outside of the Boards. People sometimes post questions that seem to indicate they don't know what Heather's diet is based on and I think those kinds of questions are almost impossible to answer thoroughly - there's just too much to explain. Being able to refer people to the other parts of the Website - all free, as Atomic Rose pointed out - is a great resource.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Volatile, I think the above post might help you new
      #170390 - 04/16/05 04:57 PM
Augie

You seem to be asking a lot of questions that can easily be found by first reading Heather's into posts at the top of this eating board. It explains all about brand name safe foods, what foods NOT to eat, and most importantly, how to use the SEARCH button to find out about common questions.

I know you are just starting out and probably overwhelmed, but it is imparative that you get the basics of the diet down first before you will ever find relief.

I hope you take the time to read them, and to start modifying your diet, even though it is very different than how you are used to eating.

Good Luck!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Volatile, I think the above post might help you -BUMP -nt- new
      #170585 - 04/17/05 12:51 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Augie and Maria new
      #170590 - 04/17/05 01:42 PM
Sand

Give it up, guys. Dollars will get you doughnuts it's not going to help.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Thanks Augie! Well said! -nt- new
      #170630 - 04/17/05 04:22 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

That's what I'm afraid of... new
      #170688 - 04/17/05 07:40 PM
Augie

Obviously the messages are either not being read, or being ignored. My anxiety level is on the rise here.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: That's what I'm afraid of... new
      #170693 - 04/17/05 07:59 PM
Sand

Do NOT let it get to you, Beth. The absolute last thing any of us needs is for something like this to trigger an attack - that would be ironic (or something).

I think the flood is slowing down. Plus, if other people on the Board are willing to help, even with questions that have been covered a million times - and even with questions that have just been asked by the same guy and answered by someone else - that's up to them. There's really nothing wrong with it and those of it who don't want to, don't have to.

My main concern is that the landslide of stuff from Volatile has pushed a lot of other stuff way down on the Board. I went back and found someone I posted to Friday night and bumped her up to the top again and she's been found by a couple of people who could help her more than I could. She was pretty new and hated for her to think we were just ignoring her. If you know of anyone else whose post has been buried, you might do the same. (But do it tomorrow after a good night's sleep.)

Volatile posted on the Health and Fitness Board about 10 days ago. Those posts were pretty interesting to read and I considered emailing the moderators, but decided to let things ride. Like I said, I think the flood is slowing down.

I'm getting off the Boards here shortly and think you should do the same. Get a good night's sleep and by tomorrow things should be more back to normal.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite. (Boy, there's a nice sentiment. )

--------------------

Thanks Sand new
      #170696 - 04/17/05 08:05 PM
Augie

That's what I was afraid of too. That other's posts were getting ignored and pushed down so no one could see them. I just emailed Casey to let her know about a post that someone addressed to her, but it got buried.

I am going to bed now. I hope you are right about the flood slowing down. It's just frustrating because all the info is right in Heather's posts. It's basic Eating for IBS 101. Plus, the answers are given, but seem not to be read.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Sand new
      #170698 - 04/17/05 08:10 PM
Sand

You're welcome. And, yes, it is frustrating, but you know what they say, Beth: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Actually, I prefer the version that goes: you can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to float on his back you've really got something. (Oops, irrelevant, moment of temporary frivolity.)

Take care.

--------------------

Edited by Sand (04/17/05 08:12 PM)

Okay, Sand new
      #170706 - 04/17/05 08:20 PM
Augie

I stayed on a little too long. IBS stress is very high. Who would think the Self help IBS board could induce IBS! This is out of control.

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm glad I'm not the only one... new
      #170710 - 04/17/05 09:15 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

that has been really annoyed by the flood of messages. Good grief! How sad that I've actually wanted to stay away from these boards...

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: That's what I'm afraid of... new
      #170712 - 04/17/05 09:49 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Hey, I've done searches. It's funny that when I do a search to get an answer to my question, within reading I find five more questions. There is a lot to learn on here, and since I will be traveling and eating out soon I need to learn as much as I can about what to eat, I have and will do searches, but that leads to more questions, and sometimes the seaches have no direct answer which means I have to ask more of this.

Volatile... new
      #170718 - 04/17/05 11:40 PM
Sand

I can't speak for Augie (Beth), but since I'm involved in this thread with her, I'll put my two cents in.

First, you don't seem to have a handle on Heather's diet overall. When someone asks questions like "what do I do about gas and bloating" it's easy and adequate to say "search on gas and bloating" or "try fennel tea" or "try gas-x". You're asking questions like "can I have milk", "can I have butter", "can I have cheese". The simple answer to all those questions is "No", but since you're asking them as separate questions, that's not an adequate answer. The adequate answer is a full explanation of dairy as a trigger food because you don't have that concept down. When you say you've eaten turkey and want to know why you don't feel better, the adequate answer is to talk about how you need to break the cycle with an extremely restrictive diet, then add in even safe foods like turkey gradually as you stabilize.

People can give you these adequate answers to all your questions, but by the time they do so, they've simply repeated back to you all the information that you should have read in familiarizing yourself with Heather's diet. Even if people are willing to take the time to do that for you, I still think you won't get the full sense of the diet - it's too interlocking for answers to individual questions to give you what you need to know.

Second, you asked the same question more than once without waiting for an answer. If it's been a day or so and you haven't gotten an answer, feel free to bump your post in case it's gotten lost. But waiting less than that before re-asking is confusing and chews up Board resources.

Third, at least once that I know of you asked a question that had already been answered. I know because I answered it originally. I don't know if you were having trouble finding your original post or if you were shopping for a different answer, but it annoyed the heck out of me. And it contributed to my perception that you're not doing searches, because my response gave you a list of things to search on.

Fourth - and this has nothing to do with what Beth is saying, so this is strictly my opinion - you seem to be demanding rather than asking. I get that you're panicked about this diagnosis and want your problem solved RIGHT NOW, but that's not going to happen. It's going to take time and you're going to need help from the people on this Board for the long haul. I'm very uncomfortable with the sense that you somehow feel the people on the Boards are responsible for your IBS and are therefore obligated to help you when you want, as much as you want, and as fast as you want. Of course, I'm not nearly as nice as most of the other people on the Boards, so I may be the only one who feels this way.

IBS is a miserable illness. Heather's plan has helped a lot of people get a lot better. It is not, however, an instant cure. If for some reason you aren't getting the basics you need by reading the info on the Website (outside the Boards), get hold of Heather's book "The First Year - IBS" and read it. Once you understand the basics of the diet - soluble fiber, trigger foods, insoluble fiber, what to do to break the cycle - a lot of the questions you're struggling with will become clearer.

No one expects you to stop asking questions. The diet can be tricky and the Board exists to help you with that. However, you can't learn everything you need to know by asking questions. The premise of the Board is that you have a working knowledge of Heather's diet and you're asking questions to clarify, not learn from the ground up.

I think about it like this. If you're taking Algebra 2, of course you're going to have questions. But if the questions you're asking are about stuff you should have learned in Algebra 1, you're never going to get very far in Algebra 2. And if I'm in your Algebra 2 class, you're going to drive me nuts.

--------------------

Re: I'm glad I'm not the only one... new
      #170719 - 04/17/05 11:42 PM
Sand

Thanks for posting this. I'm feeling pretty shaky after replying to Volatile, above, and this makes me feel a little less like I've crawled out on a limb and sawed it off after me.

Maybe this is another lesson for all of us in learning to trust out gut.

--------------------

Edited by Sand (04/17/05 11:48 PM)

Nope, definitely not! new
      #170737 - 04/18/05 02:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm just ignoring him. Skipping his posts, not even reading them. I'd suggest others who are frustrated simply do the same, and be sure to focus on other posts. Not only have people answered his questions repeatedly and thoroughly, but he's asking basic questions that could be answered by just READING THE SITE. I can't be bothered. Like I said in my "moderator's perspective" post below, I'd rather give my time and resources to people who can read, understand, appreciate, and APPLY the answers - and be GRATEFUL for the help, rather than whining about not being able to eat pizza or beer.

Sand, your reply was wonderful! I hope he actually reads and comprehends it.

Hehe! new
      #170747 - 04/18/05 03:57 AM
Linz

Sand...I LOVE that algebra anology!

People who'd managed to get on my degree course w/out the prerequisites used to annoy the heck out of me for that very reason!

No, Sand new
      #170776 - 04/18/05 06:35 AM
Augie

You did a great job with your post! Thank you! But it doesn't seem to be helping much.

--------------------
~ Beth

#170780 - 04/18/05 06:59 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

No, sweetheart, we've all been forced out onto that limb - the crawling wasn't exactly voluntary

I support you!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I know! new
      #170781 - 04/18/05 07:02 AM
Augie

I've wanted to stay away too, which is a shame. The boards are my lifeline. But now I just find myself getting more upset and anxious whenever I try to log in and just see more and more repetative posts while the others get buried.

It is sad and not fair to everyone else.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hehe! new
      #170802 - 04/18/05 08:25 AM
Sand

Thanks, Linz. Glad you liked it. And thanks for posting - you've made me feel a lot better (... that voodoo that you do so well ...).

--------------------

Re: Nope, definitely not! new
      #170805 - 04/18/05 08:31 AM
Sand

I think your advice is right on the mark. Or, as Yogi Berra so brilliantly put it, "There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."

And thank you for letting me know you approve of my post - I was pretty nervous about it. I, too, hope he reads and comprehends. It would be a shame if he missed a chance at something that could really help him.

--------------------

#170806 - 04/18/05 08:34 AM
Sand

Well, I'm sorry we're all out here, but it's nice to have company.

Thanks for the support - I'm getting kind of "bleary-eyed" here, as one of my coworkers used to say. Seriously, thanks.

--------------------

Re: No, Sand new
      #170811 - 04/18/05 08:38 AM
Sand

Thanks, Beth. Gosh, you guys are all great.

I haven't cruised the Board yet this morning - I came straight here - but if it's not helping, it's not. I'd say just follow Casey's advice and work around him. (Interestingly, that was also my DH's advice. Great minds with but a single thought. )

Have a good day.

--------------------

This might be a tad off topic.. new
      #170858 - 04/18/05 10:27 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Thank you for your post, Casey! As another moderator (who has too many projects on her table right now) it is a blessing when someone can find an answer using the search feature. Also, I am extremely greatful for all the members who have the patience and kindness to help out with questions - especially ones that may have been already answered many times before.

Although I may not answer many posts on this board, I do lurk to help Heather keep the boards peaceful and helpful. Luckily, there are already 2-3 helpful replies to the post by the time I read it so I don't feel as guilty for not having the time to reply.

So just wanted to say thanks again to all those who take the time out of their busy schedule to help out fellow members and newbies.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#170872 - 04/18/05 11:06 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

I agree with Mike E. Some new members may have something new to add to an old topic even if it has been discussed many times. I think some people are just freaked when their life is rudely interrupted by ibs. (I know mine did come on suddenly) and they want to do whatever they can to get their old life back. It can take a while to realize that it may never be the same. I think she's just scared.

Laura

lj new
      #170875 - 04/18/05 11:16 AM
Linz

Unfortunately the poster who sparked all this off (Volatile..actually a he) doesn't seem to have read the diet guidelines either! Multiple questions asking if dairy is okay get a bit silly when anyone who's read the guidelines knows the answer!

I know some people get freaked...I certainly did...but I've never understood that being ill/anxious/disabled gives you a right to be overly demanding or rude....Heather asks that all newbies read the guidelines before posting and I think it's only polite to do so! That's my two cents anyway.

Of course, if you do a search and your question isn't answered (or you want a different emphasis or feel you have something to add) then post away!

Well put, Sand...I've had a tough time navigating amongst all these posts!!! new
      #170940 - 04/18/05 02:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

And I know I still have a ton to learn!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Well put, Sand...I've had a tough time navigating amongst all these posts!!! new
      #171531 - 04/19/05 02:52 PM
Sand

Thanks for the support. I was pretty nervous about posting but really felt it needed to be said.

--------------------

judging by the fact that I see other names new
      #171571 - 04/19/05 04:22 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

than Volatile, i think we're getting the message across. jeez, high strung.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 951 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review