All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Iron
      #167058 - 04/04/05 08:22 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I've had lots of blood tests lately, and today was 8 viles worth! I'm worried about fatigue as I have low iron levels at the best of times.

Can anyone recommend some safe high iron foods or a safe iron supplement? I find iron tablets make me C and I can't have soy or nuts

Does anyone else suffer from low iron? Mines particularly bad after my period, so with all these blood tests I'm zonked.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Iron new
      #167062 - 04/04/05 08:44 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yep, I seem to suffer from almost permanent anemia. My doc put me on FeFol I think it was called (came in a white plastic round container with a red lid) and you can get it over the counter. Didn't constipate me (almost everything that doesn't give me D gives me C ) but I don't know if it would you seeing as you're a C. Foods good for low iron levels are eggs (but I think it's the yolks that are the best bit, don't know if you can have these) then I think English spinach and silverbeet. There's quite a few foods but I'm a bit blank right now. Will edit if I think of anything and add it on. Hope this helps a bit.

--------------------
Amy

#167095 - 04/04/05 11:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ask your doc for shots if you have real trouble getting it past your tum!

Dark green veg is good I think tho.

#167225 - 04/05/05 09:22 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Does anyone know - can you overdose on iron? In other words, is too much iron bad for you?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#167231 - 04/05/05 09:47 AM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

I had such low iron levels that my Dr. eventually gave me iron I.V. Much easier then iron tablets.. You can't eat enough foods rich in iron to make up for your anemia. They sent me to a Hemotology Dr. This helped tremendously..

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

Iron supplements could be bad if you don't need them... new
      #167232 - 04/05/05 09:50 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Michelle--

My understanding is that you shouldn't take an iron supplement unless tests show you have iron-deficiency anemia and a physician decides you need it. You could get iron toxicity with a supplement (if you don't need to be using one) which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, or worse! Too much iron in your diet could, potentially, cause damage to certain organs, but I think this is really, really rare.

-Maria

#167239 - 04/05/05 10:07 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

While I don't suffer from low iron, this is a problem my younger sister is continuously dealing with. I've seen how fatigued she can get, especially after her periods as you mentioned. It's scary! I can only imagine what you two must be going through! Plus she's a picky eater--no meat, hates vegetables--so she's had to work around that. With her dr's help, she's found that lentils and beans are good sources of iron, foods cooked in cast-iron pans absorb more iron, and that most breakfast cereals are fortified with iron.

Do you take your iron supplement with vitamin C? This is supposed to make you absorb the iron better, but maybe the vitamin would lessen the constipation. I've also heard of iron supplements combined with stool softeners.

Take care!

#167257 - 04/05/05 11:57 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've had lots of blood tests lately, and today was 8 viles worth! I'm worried about fatigue as I have low iron levels at the best of times.

I'm sorry. As you well know low ferritin levels are common with gluten intolerance.

Can anyone recommend some safe high iron foods or a safe iron supplement? I find iron tablets make me C and I can't have soy or nuts

Well non-heme sources are not as readily absorbed as heme sources..so you have to tank up on more. Beans and greens are a good start. I read somewhere a long time ago, and I have no idea if this is true or not (may be an old wives tale) is that you can test your own iron levels by eating beets on an empty stomach. Then if your urine is pink, you are low.

Does anyone else suffer from low iron? Mines particularly bad after my period, so with all these blood tests I'm zonked.

Linz had a good idea and that is to get shots..then it bypasses the gut. Also I've heard of a lot of non-pregnant women taking prenatal vitamins because they are high in iron. If you up the high iron foods don't forget to eat them with something that has some vit C in it for greater absorbability. Kandee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------

#167304 - 04/05/05 01:36 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:

I'm sorry. As you well know low ferritin levels are common with gluten intolerance.

In fact people with LC and Gluten intolerance can be anemic with regards to other vitamins as well. This is due to the GI not being able to absorb as much nutrients when it is inflamed. To bad there's not an easy test like a glucose meter that one can do on their own for detecting anemia with regards to various vitamins.

I'm curious if IBS people can have this problem as well. Anyone know?

Mike new
      #167332 - 04/05/05 03:21 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Quote:

In fact people with LC and Gluten intolerance can be anemic with regards to other vitamins as well. This is due to the GI not being able to absorb as much nutrients when it is inflamed. To bad there's not an easy test like a glucose meter that one can do on their own for detecting anemia with regards to various vitamins.

I'm curious if IBS people can have this problem as well. Anyone know?

Not sure, but I would think if weight loss is a problem, plus not eating any form of meat, safe or other wise, or egg yolks/dairy because of them being trigger foods, it just might.

I do believe malabsorption of ALL nutrients can be a problem with any gastrointestinal ailment in many people.
In my book, vitamins are a must.

Did a little reading on LC/MC (what is the correct term?) and it appears that the symptoms can be the same as Fibro. True? If this is the case could there be a lot of fibro folks out there with a mis-diagnosis because LC is not commonly looked for? That, plus the fact that most fibro people do better on a GF diet may suggest they have LC instead. Educate me please.
Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3292

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review