Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need vitamins....help!!
      #167017 - 04/04/05 04:47 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

I'm a mom and I breastfeed.
We are also trying to get pregnant.
I have a long history of Anemia that I've usually dealt with fine by taking Prenatal vitamins for most of my life.
Prenatals have an abundance of everything since they are designed to take while pregnant/nursing.
They have like 175% iron.
I think.

Anyways, well since reading Heathers book I quit thinking the Prenatals were bad.
I noticed minor improvement with IBS, but needless to say I became anemic again.
I also got sick a lot.
And since I am nursing then I became real tired and my skin dry. obviously nursing zaps MY nutrients and hence the need for Prenatals.

I really need to take the Prenatals again, but am scared!
I am not sure what about it is so bad for IBS.

I do not buy into this hogwash about getting all your nutrients from food. Especially now when I can only eat white bread, no milk, few cereals, few veggies, rarely fruits etc.
I was eating healthier before, but ofcource doing so with raging IBS then.

As a nursing mom and trying to get pregnant then I need more than food can give me.
My WIC lady is furious that I stopped taking my vitamins.
And she is a prof nutrientionist.

So my ? is ok WHAT about vitamins is bad for IBS??
And if I'm required to still take them, can I do something to help, like I dunno take more Fiber, take more Peppermint caps?? lol I dunno

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need vitamins....help!! new
      #167020 - 04/04/05 05:01 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Vitamins can be hard on tummies, and sometimes cause IBS problems,that's why they're not recomended. I still take mine, but on a full stomache full of SF. I'm NOT an expert, but if I were nursing and ESPECIALLY if I were trying to get pregnant, I would take the vitamines.

Just my two cents,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#167098 - 04/04/05 11:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Check your vits for lactose and sweeteners - these won't help!

IMHO, I'd take them! Getting sick and tired won't help your IBS much either. I take a multivitamin and am fine with it myself - I think I need it as I struggle to eat enough veg...taking them after SF is a good idea. Or split up the dose by taking separate pills so you can spread the iron out throuh the day insted of hitting your GI tract with it all at once. You can get shots if your tum really can't cope.

#167300 - 04/05/05 01:33 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Thanx!!!
Thats a relief!!
I think it was the heavy iron in vitamins that Heather wasn't happy with in her book.
I can see why, they always make my stools lumpy and black...ugh.
Infact I've been taking xstra iron for so long that I got all worried when I quit and the Acacia made my stools all yellowish brown and soft (did I really just discuss my stools on a publicboard?? Nooo... not me! )

But yeah certainly while nursing and/or pregnant going to be pregnant then I just gotta deal with it, I can totally tell the difference without them.

I like the idea of cutting it in half, good idea!

Can you recommend a time of day and good everyday food-like maybe my quaker rice cakes? and food amount to take while taking the pill-in-half??
Thanx!

#167311 - 04/05/05 01:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I second (third?) what's already been said... definitely try taking the vitamins. If they give you a noticeable problem, THEN worry about finding alternatives... but hopefully you'll be fine with them.

I try to take any pills after a meal, and if I have to split something into 2 doses, I make them as evenly spaced as possible... after breakfast and after dinner, for example. Then I'm sure to have plenty of food in my stomach to cushion it, especially since I almost always have bread (or something else purely SF) with every meal.

Good luck!

#167341 - 04/05/05 03:50 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, TP! I don't think we've met. I'm the resident success story, no attacks of IBS-D in well over a year. I take a multivitamin plus iron every day and have never had the slightest problem. I don't take them first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, I wait until after breakfast. There are many, many things more important to worry about when it comes to IBS. I think Heather only mentions them as kind of a last resort potential problem. Things like high fat, red meat, coffee and alcohol are MUCH bigger deals!

Good luck to you and welcome!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#167346 - 04/05/05 04:00 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hello! congrats on breastfeeding - its probably the best gift you can ever give your baby if you are able to do it! :-) If you have not noticed a drastic improvement in your ibs symptoms having stopped the prenatals - go straight back onto them and take them after a good meal. Its very important for your long term health and your baby - even if it means a touch more nausea or D - I think its a worthy cause as long as they are not the DRASTIC factor in your suffering. Good luck in getting pregnant again!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

food to take them with... new
      #167348 - 04/05/05 04:03 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

rice cakes would not be enough in my opinion - I take my multi and fish oil etc after either my breakfast (oatmeal or some mutigrain hot cereal - very filling and slow to be absorbed and digested) or dinner (usually a lot of a carb - rice, millet, quinoa and a protein and lots of vegies or a soup) - don't take the vitamins after a snack - take them after a good proper meal :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Think Casey and Dalia have answered you! -nt new
      #167455 - 04/06/05 03:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You all rock! new
      #167795 - 04/06/05 11:43 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Always have such wonderfull replies and advice, so thankfull so many of you dedicate the time to answere our posts!
Thanx!

Oh and thanx for the breastfeeding compliments, she is 15mos old and I've nursed her since birth. 1 reason I did is cuz I read it dramatically reduces GI problems later in life....hmmmm.
I sure hope so!
I'd hate it if my kids went through anything like this!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review