All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is decaf black tea also a trigger?
      #166635 - 04/03/05 04:18 PM
Harmony

Reged: 01/08/05

I am also wondering if I make a very lean meatloaf with loads of crackers, egg whites and mashed potatoes could I get away with that? Iam ibs-c

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is decaf black tea also a trigger? new
      #166643 - 04/03/05 05:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Technically, even decaf black tea is a trigger, because of the tannins in the tea that are a GI irritant. But I know that some people on here drink it anyway and would disagree with me.

Meatloaf should be fine if you use ground turkey instead of beef/pork/whatever, and be sure to make the mashed potatoes with no butter, milk, or other dairy products.

I'm absolutely fine with it! new
      #166747 - 04/04/05 04:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And drink loads. But I've actually found that Rooibos is very nice with soy milk as an alternative cuppa.

#166776 - 04/04/05 06:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

For me, it varies by brand. I drink Bigelow Decaf Constant Comment every morning with no trouble, but Luzianne Decaf (which I love) acts as a trigger. Unfortunately, I find most other decaf teas just taste bad to me.

There's a trick for taking caffeine off tea. If you're not very sensitive to caffeine it might work for you. I do this sometimes when I feel like I just have to have a "real" cup of tea:

Place 1 caffeinated teabag in mug. Add boiling water. Brew for 1 minute. Pour away tea, saving teabag. Place teabag back in mug. Add boiling water. Remove teabag immediately.

This mug of tea should have less caffeine than a normal cup of tea, but as I said, approach cautiously. And as far as I know this does nothing to remove the tannins, so if that's what you're sensitive to, this won't help.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#166826 - 04/04/05 09:43 AM
Harmony

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done that also. I should try the comment tea. I am not sure what all triggers an attack yet. I am experimenting....OH Gosh!...:)

#166827 - 04/04/05 09:45 AM
Harmony

The only way I am going to find out, is to try it...:( Experimenting is so much fun...NOT...:)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review