All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Mary new
      #166670 - 04/03/05 07:04 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I suppose the best thing I have going for me is a very understanding gorgeous boyfriend. He thinks I'm super sexy (sorry TMI!) regardless of bloated tummy or no bloated tummy. In fact he says he struggles to notice it (I'm sure he's just being kind!). So I really feel for you Mary, it would be so tough on the singles scene when you're self conscious about a pregnant belly! And I know what you mean about being a hermit - I HATE going places. I HATE having my belly poking out in public, it gets me so stressed out.

Well give the fennel tea a try, it doesn't work for me as my bloating isn't caused by gas. My intestines are just incredibly swollen. Obviously meaning I'm injesting something they don't like, but what more (or is it less!) do they want besides brown rice and pureed veges!!!

Never fear, we'll beat the battle of the bloat together.

Take care xx

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Chany new
      #166671 - 04/03/05 07:07 PM
Taylahmai

Its interesting that we're all fairly slim but with such enormous bellies!! I've often wondered whether its malnutrition....... you know like the ethiopian kids who have enormous bellies. I'm sure I don't get anywhere near the vitamins and minerals I should.... its so hard when you have to keep portion sizes down and you're so afraid of fruit and veges!!

Tummy tea is good tho I'm off to brew a cup, yummm.

Take care xx

--------------------

Re: It's the nature of the beast. new
      #166673 - 04/03/05 07:13 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Kandee! Oh I know I know, and what a beast it is And you've summed up my sentiments exactly re: not having the motivation/ energy to do anything for myself because I'm so miserable! I lay awake for hours last night thinking about how I'd 99 % beaten the bloat last year.... so how could I have fallen into such a slump again.... and I listed in my head all the things I was doing different, and exercise was the big gap. I go walking every morning, but last year I'd done intesive exercise every day, and I think thats the difference for me.

So it has given me a bit of motivation, but I'm just so exhuasted from being sick that I don't have half the enthusiasm for change that I had last year I really do wish I could crawl into a closet and stay there! But I won't, I'm going swimming with friends at lunch, and am going jogging at the beach tonight with my puppy dogs If nothing else, the exercise will give me some feel good hormones, and maybe that in itself will help to beat the bloat!

I'm off to the doc this arvo, I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care xx

--------------------

Mary, I could have written your post myself! new
      #166677 - 04/03/05 07:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Everything you said, I ditto!! UGH, this bloat is a nasty monster that not only is uncomfortable and ugly, but plays mind games on our self esteems and makes it impossible to wear cute, girly or sexy outfits!!

No bathing suits for me! And I love the water! Not to mention the "man" getting a look at my ugly bloated belly. Geesh, how embarrassing! So do I stay single my whole life??? Say it won't be so. And this isn't even getting into the issues of eating GF and IBS. That combined with ugly belly bloat doesn't make for an appealing mate, now does it! I know once you get past all that it wouldn't matter, but that's the problem. At first, before the man gets to know the real you, this will be the first impression. Not a good one!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Mary, I could have written your post myself! new
      #166679 - 04/03/05 07:36 PM
Taylahmai

I thank my lucky stars that I met my wonderful b/friend while I was flat tummied and could eat and drink whatever I liked. My GF IBS diet, constant bloat and BMs pains do wear him down a bit, so I try to keep the daily torment to myself. But the main thing is, he loves me no matter what I look like.

I think the thing to remember is that there are so many wonderful men out there who love people for who they are, not what they look like. If we can learn to accept ourselves for what we are, then there's nothing stopping us from all being in wonderful loving relationships.

But despite all that preaching, I'm the biggest culprit for hating and hiding my body I'm determined to get to a stage where I can accept I've done everything I possibly can to help myself, so hope to learn to love myself again.

--------------------

Re: Is bloating common for a certain 'type' of IBS.....? new
      #166738 - 04/04/05 04:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I lost 2 pants sizes by getting my tummy under control with this diet and acacia (actually at the time it was benefiber, but I switched to save $$)... and even witht he 2 sizes bigger pants I was bloating way out of them by the end of the day.... now I don't... at the time I didn't lose a pound, I lost that later...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Mary new
      #166839 - 04/04/05 10:12 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Taylahmai,

Ya know, I know you're right about accepting ourselves as we are, but it is so hard when I can feel the waistline of my pants all day and I look around and the whole world seems thinner than me. I know it is in my head.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Augie-I relate so well to your post-High mainenance from the start. I think that is why I shy away from going out in general-what guy would really get all this stuff. I need to find a way over this hump. New phase in life-living with IBS means going up a size and not being the little thing I used to be-those days I guess are gone forever.

I am glad I found the board and have you guys to understand it. Before I came here I used to just cry a lot and starve myself. Most times that would keep my tummy falt-nothing to drink or eat if I was going out. Not a great quality of life-huh??

THanks so much again. All your words of encouragement are awesome!

Mary

THANKS!!!

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Re: Mary, I could have written your post myself! new
      #166840 - 04/04/05 10:15 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Augie/Beth--

Thanks. Not sure what we can do-but we can support each other!!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Re: Is bloating common for a certain 'type' of IBS.....? new
      #166857 - 04/04/05 10:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've had IBs since I was 15, I'm 34 now. I was always very C until I started taking Miralax a few years ago, now I sometimes swing into the D. It doesn't seem to matter if I go everyday or not, I'm ALWAYS bloated! I've gained a lot of weight this year due to soem other medical probelms (three miscarriages and a severly sprained ankle with complications, was on crutches 6 weeks!) So, with the weight gain and bloating, I too struggle with self image issues!

I've asked many different dr's what causes the bloating or what I can do for it and none of them have any answers for me. I always buy my pants a size larger than needed and most days, have them unbuttoned before I even leave the office! One weekends, I live in drawstring pants. I'm talking TRUE drawstring pants, not the ones with elastic in them, they are sometimes very hard to find. I always change my clothes as soon as I get home from work.

My "health issues" do seem to wear down my hubby as well but he is at least understand about my bloating and doesn't mind me living in night shirts and draw string pants! He has seen firt hand the extreme bloating. There is no way I could ever "suck it in" or anything like that so I don't even try to hide it from him anymore. Its part of who I am and he loves me for me! Big, fat belly and all!

Exercising does seem to help some put since I've injurged my foot, I'm not allowed to do any weight bearing activities. So, I joined the YMCA and take an after work WATER aerobics class!! I went out and bought myself a conservative, one piece suit thats comfy to work out in. I tie my towel around my waist so when I'm walking to the pool, I don't feel so fat. Once I'm in the water, no one can really tell anyways. I figure I'm there to exercise, not to impress anyone so I try not to let it bother me.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Bloaters, take a look at this! new
      #166879 - 04/04/05 11:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Michelle (from North Carolina) posted this picture of herself. I think we can all identify with this one! You are not alone, everyone! Look how thin Michelle is in her "normal" picture. It's so annoying that our bodies play this trick on us!

bloating!

Can you relate? I can!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review