All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: My GI gave me the same advice new
      #166715 - 04/03/05 09:37 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Hi! I went totally wheat free along with many other things from 1980 to about 1990. I learned to make rice breads, actually anything flour (safe) and NO eggs even. I used applesauce which acts a lot like eggs.

There is something I learned about a year ago. I thought I was having problems with lactose. I got some cheese as one old doctor who has done great work on this subject said cheese had no lactose. I got upset on cheese so I cut it out not understanding why it bothered me. One day I bought some soy cheddar cheese thinking I'd made a GREAT find. It got me! So I got into the label, and it was CASEIN!!! I cannot handle casein. So if any of you ever come across this check those labels and look at casein and whey hard. I can do whey, not casein. But I rarely even do the whey. I did find a true non-dairy sliced cheese made of soy some months back. It's "okay" and melts onto san in microwave or whatever!

My former internist actually told me in the 70s to go see a shrink! Well, I was already having counseling so that was not the right answer. This went on and on until someone in his family began having food sensitivities. Must have been earth-shattering as the entire family changed course and ate differently. Then all he could talk about were food sensitivities! These doctors just don't know until they or a loved one falls ill to IBS via food sensitivites. Most of my problems have to do with food sensitivities (like allergy I think).

I don't think I'm allergic to wheat (I love French bread, but I overdo so maybe it's time to stop or straighten up). Maybe I should do all the tests again as in "Elimination Diet" as I did in 1980! I truly got along well, but I was not having much problem with IBS. My other doctor found allergies in my blood tests.

Right now I just want whatever is wrong to be gone! Real gone! I'm just miserable. I'm all over the message boards on it so I won't repeat, but when someone says they are discouraged I understand. I am just about ready to join the chorus of "give up" except I have no way to go. If I'm just dealing with an infection perhaps this will grind down. I can only hope.

Anybody else have problems with all antibiotics? I get so ill now that it's awful! I can be IV'd with most, but the other morning two, or at least one, about ruined me! I got SO ill. It surprised me! I was then asked to take Cipro and Clindomycin (think I'm allergic to it). Yikes! On Flagyl and got really bad reaction!

What do you do when you need antibiotics? I'm really getting concerned as this is first time I've needed anything since I had intestinal surgery Dec. 2003 (not for IBS so don't even go there!).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well you've got nothing to lose then Beth.... new
      #166723 - 04/03/05 11:14 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

..... if you truly believe you are not celiac, and you've got no relief from being GF, then test small amounts of gluten and see what happens. I've heard the best way to test a food you've eliminated for so long is by eating a large serve of it once, and then waiting 2 weeks to see what your reaction is. Don't go gung-ho into gluten products (like I did when I started eating it again ) or you're guaranteed to suffer. Perhaps try 2 slices of IBS safe white bread, and watch what happens over the 2 weeks following.

I can soooo understand your dilemma Beth. GF eating is expensive, anti-social & stressful. So if we're not celiac, then why should we go GF!!? I'm off gluten for the time being, because I saw enormous relief from it last time I did it (this time is taking so much longer tho..... sigh). But I don't honestly belief I'll be GF for life. I'm certain that seems as I'm not celiac, there must be a gluten threshold for me (ie 1 slice of bread every couple of days maybe..... or a few serves a week of food that contains small amounts of gluten).

As for fructose malabsorption, don't worry, going fructose free (FF) is only temporary until your symptoms improve (assuming you have fructose malabsorption that is). Then you can gradually add fructose products back into your diet until you find your threshold. I'll dig out the info and email it to you. I'm not testing fructose at the moment as I'm only GF, DF and yeast free at the moment. And a temporary fructose free diet doesn't mean you can't have any fruit, you just have to stick to low fructose fruits like berries. If you rely on fruit to keep you stable, then you can do a modified fructose free diet where you cut out all other forms of sugar, except for your 2 pieces of fruit a day. The results will be slower, but if you suffer from fructose malabsorption you'll still see results from lowering your fructose/ sugar intake.

As for yeast, well I was bamboozled by how many products contain yeast, or the food that feeds yeast. I posted a thread in the living room called 'the candida diet' if you want to have a read.

Keep plugging away at it sweety, keep your food journal up when you change your diet, and one day, pray, your symptoms will improve! I'm still optomistic (thank goodness) but I've only been in this IBS game for a couple of years. I'm determined I won't suffer this beast for life.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Chrissy... new
      #166730 - 04/04/05 02:22 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'd be interested in the info on fructose malabsorbtion you have. I've always thought I had a problem with fructose and as a result have eaten virtually no fruit for years (about 10) other than applesauce and sometimes pureed pear. Is fructose malabsorbtion different to a fructose intolerance, do you know?
It is almost impossible to find yeast free products! I'm on a yeast extract free part of my diet and that's almost impossible too. Spent 3 hours cooking my own vegetable stock today (not easy with the kids trying to "help"). Good luck with finding your intolerances and like I said I'd love to hear about the fructose malabsorbtion. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Amy

Re: I eat GF... new
      #166744 - 04/04/05 04:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmm. The biopsy is when testing for Celiac...and there is a pretty good antibody test for that! Which ones did you have done?

I know if you need to go GF then you need to stick with it, but most people who do get relief from going GF and you haven't! Ruchie can tell if she's slipped up and had a tiny bit of gluten b/c of her extra symptoms and I was under the impression that this wasn't you.

The thing is...it's so stressful and cuts out so many great SF foods that you could be hindering stabilising your IBS if you stick with GF and you don't need to!

I agree with Taylahmai Beth! new
      #166745 - 04/04/05 04:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Exclusion diets as a test only work if you introduce it back in (slowly of course or your IBS tum will have a fit whatever).

Re: IBS/Celiac/Gluten Intolerance new
      #166788 - 04/04/05 07:39 AM
Miss Pepper

Reged: 12/23/03
Loc: Delaware

Kandee -
Thanks for taking the time to respond to all of my questions/concerns. I'm going to have to give all of this some thought and do some research on celiac disease and the gluten free diet (which, honestly, sounds like a pain in the neck!!)

Thanks also to everyone for all of the responses/feedback

Re: To all GF eaters (Mary, Ruchie, Chrissy, Nik, etc) new
      #166999 - 04/04/05 04:08 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

The IBS got a little better. I had a rash-flaky dry skin patch for years on my forehead that dispperared completely when I went gf. But It is hard, I read very ingredient, make my own broths, cook every weekend for the week and pack lunch every day. I never eat processed stuff. Gluten is in ce cream, tuna in water unless it is sodium free, soy sauce,broths, cool whip, rice and vegie cheeses etc.... Anything with filler or barley malt has gluten.

I now had to take out dairy and I stay away from soy. Then when I cut the coffee-my one and only vice for years and years-I thought I would definitely go over the edge. But so far I take one day at a time. I still have bad days, so I guess I am not stable yet.

YOu can email if you need help with the GF thing.

Hugs,

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Re: Well, you certainly taught me something, Mike. new
      #167011 - 04/04/05 04:38 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, I didn't put 1 and 1 together and realize that you are the one who wrote the article that made me decide to check out this website again.

I had parts of the diet and found that they made me worse so I figured this wasn't the place for me. Especially since I couldn't find anything about Lymphocytic or Microscopic Colitis on this board.

So I had to say, great job on the article! It might just get those people who have IBS like symptoms to ask their Dr about CD or Gluten Intolerance. Or even bump into my few posts and ask about Microscopic Colitis.

Thanks again,
Mike

I need help, I did a search and can't find it Please new
      #167014 - 04/04/05 04:43 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Would someone give me the ratio to figuring the fat to calorie on food that does and doesn't have the calories from from on it and give me an example. I've forgotten how to do it and can't find it on the board. Thanks a zillion

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Amy and Beth new
      #167057 - 04/04/05 08:11 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I'm emailing you the info on frutose malabsorption as we speak. I can't post it on the boards as I had to pay for it, so could get in strife.

Amy, fructose malabsorption is apparently a very common trigger for people with IBS, and is a result of enterocytes (cells in the intestines) not functioning properly so fructose cannot be absorbed properly. And it differs to fructose intolerance, which is a pretty rare hereditary condition whereby the body doesn't produce the enzymes necessary for fructose digestion. So malabsorption is poor digestion of fructose, intolerance is when it can't be digested at all.

But in both cases the fructose ferments in our intestines and causes horrible bloating, gas and diarrhea. Yet with all conditions, constipation can be a sign as well.

Have a read of the info, its mainly a guide on how to go fructose free. The idea is to follow a strict fructose free diet for two weeks to see whether there's any improvements. And the main thing to note is fructose malabsorption is 'treatable' by going fructose free for a couple of months (I think to let the intestine cells recover?) and then to limit your frutose intake once you've 'recovered'.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3415 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review