All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help! This is my First Passover Since I began this diet and I have no idea what to do?
      #165879 - 03/31/05 03:02 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I usually rely on white bread as my backup food. Soy milk and soy products are not allowed on Passover and since I rely on them I feel kind of at a loss as to what to do. I guess worst case senario... I can live on grilled chicken and dry pesach cereal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I just stocked up at the passover aisle! new
      #165887 - 03/31/05 03:53 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) pesadich ketchup is sugar based and safe!
b) matza is safe! so I bought matza, and matza meal- to make matza balls and use all year as breading.. as well as to eat during pesach....
c) rokeach makes safe gazpacho and pasta sauce (osem had pasta sauce too, but I bought the rokeach)
d) I found instant meal things that are safe- kosher parve with no msg/hfcs, etc... that were mashed taters and vegetables... one was just taters and mushrooms!

I know there was more... but thats what I can think of offhand, I bought a bunch last night and fully plan to buy more... I bought apple butter, and I have other things too... I do a lot of pesach baking and ALL of it is safe... and my friend who makes the gefilte fish said she'd get me the recipe if I want this year! I plan on pigging out at seder!

matzah ball mix isnt' safe, but homemade ones are fine... and easy enough to do with matza meal... you can make angel food cake with potato starch instead of sponge cake, or merengues, or a ton of different cakes...

I make a stew with meatballs (turkey) and matza balls and tomato sauce, but I've also had it made with vegetables in a chicken broth... but that reminds me too much of matza ball soup...

I make soups... the list is almost endless.... I am actually buying some things ingredient wise to last all year so I don't have to keep making them!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Thanks. I guess there is no reason to panic. new
      #165900 - 03/31/05 04:21 PM
Casper

I have a yearly panick attack when I start to clean for Pesach. (Started two days ago with my son's room) so I guess it just escalated because of the IBS thing, but you're right. Most of my Pesach recipes are IBS safe and anything Kosher for Pesach is not going to have HFCS in it. I just placed an order with my friend (Kosher Case Club) for pesach and stocked up on apple sauce and pasta sauce. OMG - I'm such an idoit! I make Matzo Balls all the time. I must have had a brain freeze or something. I also have an amazing recipe for pesach muffins that I can totaly make safetly. OK the panic attack is over. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. Have a good night.
Chany

Re: I just stocked up at the passover aisle! new
      #165903 - 03/31/05 04:26 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

is matzah really safe? i have no idea why but everytime i eat matzah i get REALLY sick, and its just unbleached bread and water! i am very careful when i read labels so i know theres no secrets in the ingredients...does anyone else have a problem with matzah? i dont kno if this is crazy but is it because its not soft? like bread is usually doughy and the matzah isnt... i dont know how to explain, kind of like eating raw stuff is bad but cooked is ok- not exactly but along the same lines??

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

#165928 - 03/31/05 04:51 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Well are you eating machine matzah or hand baked matzah? Because I find hand matzah a lot more tolerable than machine.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Last year was our first Pesach in Memphis... new
      #165972 - 03/31/05 06:35 PM
Casper

and for at the Passover workshops that was run for the youth groups The kids made Matzah and baked it on a BBQ grill! Coming from New York it was a far cry from the typical Matzah factory trip that my kids had experienced in the past. But I se what you mean because the hand made Matzah was actually soft like a thin pita bread.
Chany

water! new
      #166048 - 04/01/05 06:12 AM
khyricat

matza is very dry by nature... if you aren't drinking enough fluids it will constipate a healthy person.. I actually use it sometimes when I am D as a form of bulk to stop me up! remember at LEAST 1/2 oz of fluid per pound of body weight if not more when eating foods like matza and merengue cookies.... which are dehydrated!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Help! This is my First Passover Since I began this diet and I have no idea what to do? new
      #166249 - 04/01/05 03:20 PM
chi

Reged: 01/05/05
Loc: Chicago

Excellent topic.

I'm planning to pretend I'm sephardic. I have some concerns about the ways we interpret pesach anyway, and don't consider legumes to be in any way related to not using leavening - it just doesn't make sense to me!

I think I can also better honor the holiday and the story when I'm not in the bathroom the whole time !

Re: Help! This is my First Passover Since I began this diet and I have no idea what to do? new
      #166252 - 04/01/05 03:23 PM
khyricat

I like that one.. I think I'll join you there on the legumes probably.. but I know I will be ok otherwise too sicne I really never eat much dairy and haven't in years and haven't had red meat in close to 20 years (this summer will make it 19 years if you don't count a few small tastes in between when mom kept insisting I was overeacting by cutting it out completely!)

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Yes. It's a bit harder to digest because it's ... well ... hard new
      #166255 - 04/01/05 03:28 PM
Casper

You have to chew it thourouly before you swallow it.
Happy passover.
Chany

Yeah that's a given! You can't have matzah without guzzling the H2O-nt new
      #166261 - 04/01/05 03:49 PM
Casper

#166479 - 04/02/05 08:01 PM
AllieGator

What brand of matzah is hand made? i think i ate manachevitz(sp?) im almost positive.

--------------------

Re: water! new
      #166480 - 04/02/05 08:02 PM
AllieGator

is that why i always get sick when i eat ms meringues vanilla flavored cookies? i was EXTATIC when i found that they had nothing triggerable in them and i got sick everytime, even if i had a few! i drink water WAY MORE than the average person , i go through a gallon every 2 days, if i drink anymore ill never leave the bathroom!

--------------------

#166492 - 04/02/05 10:42 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

The best criteria for figuring it out: Machine matza tends to be square; hand matzah is round.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#166515 - 04/03/05 04:38 AM
khyricat

handmade isn't a brand- what you'll find on a regular grocery store shelf isn't handmade... if you got to an orthodox community sometimes they'll sell the handmade, or some people I know make it.... but all the stuff the regular stores carry is machine made....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review