All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
acacia only!!
      #165510 - 03/30/05 06:55 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have recently stopped my enzymes and probotics - it has done nothing. In the reading that I have done our bodies manufacture enzymes - I am still taking the acacia 2x a day and I am almost up to 1 tablespoon 2x daily. I went out of town and did not take it often so I began where I left off. I am hoping that when I reach 2 tablespoons I can feel a difference. Any comments or suggestions?????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acacia only!! new
      #165581 - 03/31/05 01:34 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm,....well, yes, our bods can produce the enzymes on their own! BUT, if you eat lots of raw veg then the enzymes from the veg stop your body from needing to produce so many enzymes...which can be considered a stressor on the body. That's why raw veg is so good for people (but not IBS! ). So in taking extra enzymes, the idea is that you're doing the job raw veg would and relieving your body of a stress. Anyway, that's the theory. Plus, sometimes people just can't produce enough of one enzyme, eg. lactase.

I'm on 2T Acacia and do pretty well at that dose. Sometimes take more if I'm iffy. Remember that even after you get to the significant dose, it can take a while to feel the benefits, so give it a good chance.

#165634 - 03/31/05 06:06 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am on acacia only. About 1T a day. I have some enzymes but stopped taking them when I decided they weren't working. I figure I could try again sometime since they are in the drawer waiting. I tend to think those sorts of products are all hype. But that is just me (and my doctor).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: acacia only!-Linz new
      #165716 - 03/31/05 10:59 AM

Thanks for responding. I am thinking soooo positive with acacia because of supportive people like yourself who is doing well with acacia. It is easy to take - in the morning with my tea and at nite with my tea! I tried drinking it in water but I felt it had a different taste!

Re: acacia only!little minnie new
      #165718 - 03/31/05 11:01 AM

I feel the same way about the enzymes and as I indicated to Linz, with supportive people like both of you, I am soooo positive that the acacia will make some difference! If I ever have to be on an antibiotic, then I will begin taking the probiotic again with the antibotic for safety measures. ow much accaia are you on each day???

Re: acacia only!-litttle minnie new
      #165719 - 03/31/05 11:02 AM

sorry about the acacia dosage with you - after I re-read your post you had already indicated!!!

#165720 - 03/31/05 11:02 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I recently tried 2 1/2 months of digestive enzymes and have decided to drop them too. I take acacia, a probiotic and the cal:mag supplement with good results. Just interested to know why you stopped/started on the enzymes. Curious.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: acacia only-bamagirl new
      #165721 - 03/31/05 11:06 AM

I had taken the enzymes and probiotics a long time ago then stopped because of no results. when I began to read all of these posts it appeared many were on both - so I started again. But after a couple of months I again feel it is not worth it. I will take a probotic for a while if only I am on an antibiotic for safety cushion. I am only on acaica (probably the most important) at 1 tsp 2x daily (morning tea and nite tea). I am hoping this weekend to begin taking 1 table 2x daily. Have you had any luck with the acaica????

#165722 - 03/31/05 11:07 AM

Sorry - another question - why are you on a probiotic and how many times per day?? When I was on the enzymes and probiotics I was taking 2 of each 3 times per day -Wow!!!

#165726 - 03/31/05 11:22 AM
bamagirl

I too started probiotics and enzymes based on research and recommendations from here. I too had just finished a ton of antibiotics initially, and think I will leave off the probiotics when I finish what I have on hand. The enzymes, well just too many effects outside IBS...guess I didn't need them. My IBS was stable for years, but last year got triggered again, and I'm not stable yet. The acacia and cal/mag I know I will stick with because both have helped tremendously! I've been on both for a year now and with great results! Trial and error is the name of the game, and we all have to find our own way with this mess. (no pun intended)

I just know that this board and the people here have changed my life, and I'm so glad I found it!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#165728 - 03/31/05 11:25 AM
bamagirl

Was taking the enzymes - 1 capsule with each meal. I only take probiotics once a day.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#165859 - 03/31/05 02:14 PM

Are you real good with not eating meat? I try very hard to eliminate most red meat (except occasional pork) and of course no fried foods at all. I eat a lot of bread and eat a lot of pastas with vegs. When I drink alchol I drink vokdka or gin with cranberry juice - I really try and stay away from beer!! I am trying my best!

#167377 - 04/05/05 06:26 PM
Raiken

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi. Thanks for responding to my question about acacia awhile ago. I'm been remiss about checking in. I'd like to know how the cal/mag supplement helps you. Does it help the constipation? I'm taking 2tsps of acacia 3 times a day now. I'm still having some constipation, but it's better. I'm also going to start drinking more water. But I wondered if I should try the cal/mag as well?

#167379 - 04/05/05 06:28 PM
Raiken

Reged: 11/13/03
Loc: Massachusetts

I'm actually replying to a previous respsonse of yours. You advised me to drink more water. I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm now taking 2tsp. of acacia 3 times a day. I start to feel boated and gassy after dinner, but it's better than it was before. I'll see if the extra water helps. Thanks for your advice!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1807

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review