All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Stupid question im sure...
      #165384 - 03/30/05 01:23 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hey everyone! im sure this is a dumb question but im just wondering..can things other than food bring on IBS attacks?? like beauty products or anything like that? Im sure that u are laughing haha cuz i am...i know it sounds funny but you never know ...thanks!!
honey_bun

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Questions are never stupid! new
      #165388 - 03/30/05 01:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And the answer is basically yes. Toothpaste is the usual killer as almost all normal brands contain sorbitol...I now get one from my HFS. And I know Barbie has to stay away from ANYTHING containing sorbitol...even shampoos or whatever.

I guess if you're allergic/intolerant, then you are no matter how it gets into your system!

Re: Questions are never stupid! new
      #165389 - 03/30/05 01:39 PM
Honey_bun

Wow..i never really thought about toothpaste..im gunna go read and see what it says on the tube..thanks for the reply!
honey_bun

Re: Chemical triggers? new
      #165393 - 03/30/05 01:42 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think this is a good question because I was wondering the same thing! Could it be the chemicals in the beauty products? What types of beauty products are you referring to? For me, it's not beauty products but household cleaners that I wonder about: I notice that almost every time I use chlorine bleach or other disinfectants, like when I'm cleaning the bathroom, it seems to trigger an attack. Coincidence? The EPA lists diarrhea as a possible reaction to the use of disinfectants containing phenol and cresol...although it doesn't state whether that's due just to exposure or ingestion. Anyway, I'm now looking into safe substitutes.

#165402 - 03/30/05 02:02 PM
Honey_bun

Hey! Thanks for the reply!
I actually havnt really had any particular reaction to a certain product. But sometimes i can get an attack...and have no idea what caused it! I experiment with make up alot and different hair dyes (im addicted to hair dye!) and was just wondering if maybe they were the cause? I need to look into that more...thanks!
honey_bun

#165415 - 03/30/05 02:21 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I know some people are very sensitive to smell, Nelly for one. Some smells, including chemical ones, turn my stomach, especially things like strong disinfectants. It may be somewhat psychological though.

--------------------
S.

#165451 - 03/30/05 03:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

It may be somewhat psychological though.

Yes! I get ill because I just really hate cleaning the bathroom! lol

Yes, yes, yes. new
      #165503 - 03/30/05 06:34 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've just started reading a book affiliated with one of Australia's major hospitals. If you are intolerant to salicilytes (found in a lot of food like jam, cocoa and well the list is pretty big) then you can also be affected by the same chemical found in household cleaners, hairsprays, shampoo's, soaps, perfumes and all sorts of stuff. Hope this helps and if you want any more info let me know and I'll be happy to help out.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Questions are never stupid! new
      #165507 - 03/30/05 06:39 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I stopped using Colgate Whitening Toothpaste cause I believe it has sorbitol in it and it was effecting my IBS in the morning...

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Goodluck finding a toothpaste new
      #165519 - 03/30/05 07:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

without sorbitol. Someone mentioned Sensodyne, but I could swear that one had sorbitol listed when I was looking. Did you already find an alternative without sorbitol?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I get... new
      #165578 - 03/31/05 01:25 AM
Linz

... Kingfisher Toothpaste - they have a pretty big range. Maybe you can get it near you? Have you tried your HFS? Or look for bicarbonate of soda toothpaste - that's often sweetener free.

I don't use any toothpaste.. new
      #165609 - 03/31/05 04:39 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

just a sonic toothbrush with my dentists approval because of this.. the last big help in my remaining symptoms becomming manageable was stopping to use sorbitol toothpaste!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Yeah, sorbitol toothpaste made me pretty ill! -nt new
      #165610 - 03/31/05 04:42 AM
Linz

Re: Goodluck finding a toothpaste new
      #165639 - 03/31/05 06:16 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I use Burt's Bees Lavender Mint toothpaste, which doesn't have sorbitol or sodium lauryl sulfate (a detergent, basically what makes the toothpaste foam) in it. I use it because I used to get nasty mouth sores all the time, and I found that sls may make them worse. It's the only toothpaste I can find that doesn't have sls in it. It also doesn't have flouride in it, just to let you know. I'd give you a link, but Burt's Bees site is down at the moment. I get it at Whole Foods.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Another chemical product question new
      #165643 - 03/31/05 06:37 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

So I saw this thread and it made me remember something that I had been wondering about. I've seen a few commercials for makeup and beauty products that contain caffein, supposedly as an ingredient that tightens your skin and decreases wrinkles and swelling around the eyes. I've thought about trying this since I wake up practically every morning looking like someone socked me a good one in both of my eyes - but more problems with swelling then with dark circles kinda thing. But I worry about it because I have had my WORST attacks when triggered by caffein. Granted, this has always been through caffein ingested, but I avoid the stuff like the plague - SUCH bad news! So do you think it might be safe to use this stuff on my face? If it will make me sick, it's not worth it, but other than that - I would love to loose the beat up look!
What do you guys think?
Min

Re: NO Fluoride?????? new
      #165942 - 03/31/05 05:07 PM
LittleLisa

My sister would have heart failure! She's a hygenist. She said to try Toms of Maine which you can get at the grocery store. She THINKS it doesn't contain sorbitol.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I use Denti - Clean. It's all natural and I have no problem with it. -nt new
      #165946 - 03/31/05 05:28 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Tom's of Maine DOES have sorbitol, as well as sls, in it, I've checked -nt- new
      #165947 - 03/31/05 05:29 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Oops, yes...Sorry new
      #165950 - 03/31/05 05:42 PM
LittleLisa

While I was typing the post she was on a website called Jeeves and it did say it contained Sorbitol. She did say, however, that a minimal amount is swallowed when brushing your teeth so she's not sure how it can aggrevate IBS (she also has IBS),however, I guess it's just like I can eat chocolate without any problem and other IBS'rs have to stay away from it. I know that when I chew sugarless gum or eat sugarless candy that it effects my tummy bad. So obviously if I get a larger amount in me it effects me but so far I've been using Crest Vanilla Mint toothpaste and it hasn't effected me. Go figure??? Sorry for the "misinformation"!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

sensodyne new
      #165979 - 03/31/05 07:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No, I use it and have read the box. At least the whitening kind of Sensodyne doesn't have sorbitol.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I don't use any toothpaste.. new
      #174910 - 04/28/05 10:25 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

Hey, guess what? I did a search, and found a topic on something I was going to make a new one on, now I don't have to make a new topic repeating this. Strange.
Anyway, my question, what toothpaste should I use? I switched from a sorbitol toothpaste to another one which does not have sorbitol, but when I use, that moment I still get bloated.

Toothpaste new
      #174925 - 04/29/05 12:23 AM
Linz

Check that it doesn't have any other artificial sweeteners like aspartame in. Or you may be inadvertedly (sp?) swallowing air whilst brushing your teeth.

What about Jason Naturals??-nt- new
      #174961 - 04/29/05 05:24 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

I don't know... new
      #174962 - 04/29/05 05:37 AM
khyricat

I've given up after never finding one without something that is a trigger in it... my dentist said it was ok for now, I see him again in a month... after that I may have to search for one.. but even the HFS didn't have anything without any artificial sweeteners in it.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Try Kingfisher... new
      #174965 - 04/29/05 05:41 AM
Linz

.... here is their USA page.

Re: Tom's of Maine new
      #175000 - 04/29/05 07:50 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05

I have a tube of Tom's of Maine that lists the ingredients as such:

Glycerin, water, calcium carbonate (chalk), hydrated silica, fruit extracts (strawberry, bananna, and other natural flavors), carragennan (seaweed), sodium lauryl sulfate (from coconut oil).

This was the Kids Silly Strawberry flavor, btw. (I'm allergic to mint).

Underneath, it says:

* No Saccharin * No Artificial Sweeteners or Preservatives * No Artificial Color or Flavor * No Animal Ingredients *

So....I would thing that the tally for Tom's (at least this flavor would be generally safe (unless you need to specifically avoid sls).

I have to say though, it cleans my teeth just fine, but leaves them feeling a bit "sticky" somehow. It just makes me want to go eat something (no exactly the desired effect for a toothpaste!). But it's better than no toothpaste.

It does contain flouride.

*Note to any with Fibro though--it's in the old fashion aluminum type tubes, and I find it quite a battle to squeeze, especially if I'm tired. Probably doesn't matter for most though, my family swears its perfectly easy.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: I don't use any toothpaste.. new
      #175049 - 04/29/05 09:12 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

In an organic Natural food Store, you will find products re: personal hygeine that are safe, i.e. devoid of sorbitol, and other chemicals. Some grocery stores with well stocked natural health departments carry them as well.

If anyone is interested... new
      #175067 - 04/29/05 10:15 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

In one of my Vegan cookbooks there are recipes on making toothpaste from baking soda. Probably won't taste as good as real toothpaste, but it is safe! I will post them if someone wants them, but will not bea ble to until tonight, or sometime this weekend, or monday... (not on the computer much on weekends)
When I wasn't stable sorbitol in toothpaste bothered me, but now I can deal with aquafresh ok.

--------------------
-Sheri

Watch Out For These Non-Food Products! new
      #175089 - 04/29/05 11:07 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, there are things beyond food to watch out for. I would say that anything you could possibly ingest could be of concern. This includes:

-Toothpaste (I thoroughly rinse my mouth after use)
-Mouthwash (I don't use this)
-Flavoured dental floss (I use an unflavoured brand)
-Flavoured tooth picks
-Lipstick (I remove mine before eating)
-Dish Soap (I find concentrated dish soap to be the worst offender because it's difficult to get off all of the suds and you might end up accidentally ingesting some of it)

Belinda

Sheri01 - Please do post ... new
      #175115 - 04/29/05 12:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

your home-made baking soda toothpaste recipes. Earlier today I had been trying to remember what my grandmother mixed with her baking soda to make toothpaste. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: If anyone is interested... new
      #175133 - 04/29/05 01:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Please share! Before stability, I had the WORST PROBLEM with toothpaste/dental floss/mouthwash, until throwing in the towel and buying SAFE NATURAL HYGEINE products, which I continue to buy. Heck, even hair gel is a no-no for me. What a toxic world!

Other things to watch out for..... new
      #175134 - 04/29/05 01:50 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I am one that is very sensitive to sorbitol,mannitol, malitol, etc. I have only found one toothpaste that I can tolerate and that is Arm & Hammer Peroxicare and I only use a small amount and am sure to rinse really well.

Beware of some vitamins that contain these ingredients and all sugar-free stuff and most gums.

Also, I know this sounds strange but I even got an attack after washing my hair with shampoo that had sorbitol in it. I guess either I've gone completely nuts or it was absorbed through my skin. It is in some body lotions, too.

Just wanted to share this info because it took me awhile to track down some of my attacks to these ingredients.

Barbie

--------------------

Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175168 - 04/29/05 04:42 PM
Sand

You say in your post

Quote:

I find concentrated dish soap to be the worst offender because it's difficult to get off all of the suds and you might end up accidentally ingesting some of it

So what do you do? Is there a brand you find rinsable or do you cut yours with water? (I'm assuming you're talking regular dish soap, not the kind you put in your dishwasher.) I'd really like to know because I've noticed lately that I'm having a hard time rinsing all the soap off some of my pots and pans. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

sadly.. not safe for me.. new
      #175186 - 04/29/05 05:49 PM
khyricat

but I'm one for whom carageenan is a no no due to migraines.. its closely related to MSG... and some of their other tubes had sorbitol.. can't win for losing.. I may do the baking soda thing again but the dentist told me uness he saw a problem at my next checkup- many peopel do fine with just brushing and no paste at all.. so I'm trying that..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175188 - 04/29/05 05:50 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

These are the ingredients in the toothpaste I have, is it safe?

Active ingredient: sodium monoflouorophosphate
Inactive ingredients: hydrated silica, propylene glycol water, sodium bicarbonate, pentasodium triphosphate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, sodium lauyl sulfate, flavor, sodium hydroxide, sodium saccharin, carageenan, cellulose gum, calcium peroxide, titanium dioxide, FD&C green no. 3

Re: Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175244 - 04/30/05 03:52 AM
Linz

Sodium saccharin is (I'm pretty sure) an artificial sweetener.

bump for Belinda-nt new
      #178744 - 05/13/05 08:00 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Post deleted by Cyndy

Dish Soap new
      #178749 - 05/13/05 08:15 AM
belinda

Probably I should buy a dish soap from a health food store, but I am too cheap to do so! Basically what I use is a cheap dish soap that is not too concentrated. Up until now, I've washed all of my dishes by hand because I don't have a dishwasher.

Since I live in Canada, I buy something that's probably only available here. It's President's Choice regular dish soap (green in colour), which can be purchased at Loblaws and Fortinos in the Toronto area.

When I'm in the U.S. I buy another cheap dish soap, which is a regular lemon-scented dish soap made (I believe) by Ajax (yellow in colour) and available at the local Walgreen pharmacy store near where I visit my boyfriend in California.

I thoroughly rinse my dishes. With glasses and cups, I give them an extra rinse or two before pouring anything into them otherwise I find bubbles sometimes form signalling there may still be some lingering soap residue.

The bottom line is I stay away from concentrated dish soaps (like Palmolive, for example) that are more likely to leave a soap residue and I also stay away from dish soaps that contain anti-bacterial formulas.

The cheaper dish soaps tend to be the ones that work best for me because they are generally not concentrated, and they're good for my budget too!

"Chemical Soup" Toothpaste! new
      #178769 - 05/13/05 09:15 AM
belinda

I personally don't think any chemicals are safe! You could try using a natural tooth paste sold at a health foodstore.

Or, you should probably rinse your mouth out thoroughly (numerous times!) if you decide to continue using the "chemical soup" you are brushing your teeth with now!

Thanks, Belinda. -nt- new
      #178848 - 05/13/05 02:26 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review