All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: If anyone is interested... new
      #175133 - 04/29/05 01:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Please share! Before stability, I had the WORST PROBLEM with toothpaste/dental floss/mouthwash, until throwing in the towel and buying SAFE NATURAL HYGEINE products, which I continue to buy. Heck, even hair gel is a no-no for me. What a toxic world!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Other things to watch out for..... new
      #175134 - 04/29/05 01:50 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I am one that is very sensitive to sorbitol,mannitol, malitol, etc. I have only found one toothpaste that I can tolerate and that is Arm & Hammer Peroxicare and I only use a small amount and am sure to rinse really well.

Beware of some vitamins that contain these ingredients and all sugar-free stuff and most gums.

Also, I know this sounds strange but I even got an attack after washing my hair with shampoo that had sorbitol in it. I guess either I've gone completely nuts or it was absorbed through my skin. It is in some body lotions, too.

Just wanted to share this info because it took me awhile to track down some of my attacks to these ingredients.

Barbie

--------------------

Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175168 - 04/29/05 04:42 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You say in your post

Quote:

I find concentrated dish soap to be the worst offender because it's difficult to get off all of the suds and you might end up accidentally ingesting some of it

So what do you do? Is there a brand you find rinsable or do you cut yours with water? (I'm assuming you're talking regular dish soap, not the kind you put in your dishwasher.) I'd really like to know because I've noticed lately that I'm having a hard time rinsing all the soap off some of my pots and pans. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

sadly.. not safe for me.. new
      #175186 - 04/29/05 05:49 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but I'm one for whom carageenan is a no no due to migraines.. its closely related to MSG... and some of their other tubes had sorbitol.. can't win for losing.. I may do the baking soda thing again but the dentist told me uness he saw a problem at my next checkup- many peopel do fine with just brushing and no paste at all.. so I'm trying that..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175188 - 04/29/05 05:50 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

These are the ingredients in the toothpaste I have, is it safe?

Active ingredient: sodium monoflouorophosphate
Inactive ingredients: hydrated silica, propylene glycol water, sodium bicarbonate, pentasodium triphosphate, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, sodium lauyl sulfate, flavor, sodium hydroxide, sodium saccharin, carageenan, cellulose gum, calcium peroxide, titanium dioxide, FD&C green no. 3

Re: Belinda, what do you use for dish soap? (more) new
      #175244 - 04/30/05 03:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sodium saccharin is (I'm pretty sure) an artificial sweetener.

bump for Belinda-nt new
      #178744 - 05/13/05 08:00 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Post deleted by Cyndy

Dish Soap new
      #178749 - 05/13/05 08:15 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Probably I should buy a dish soap from a health food store, but I am too cheap to do so! Basically what I use is a cheap dish soap that is not too concentrated. Up until now, I've washed all of my dishes by hand because I don't have a dishwasher.

Since I live in Canada, I buy something that's probably only available here. It's President's Choice regular dish soap (green in colour), which can be purchased at Loblaws and Fortinos in the Toronto area.

When I'm in the U.S. I buy another cheap dish soap, which is a regular lemon-scented dish soap made (I believe) by Ajax (yellow in colour) and available at the local Walgreen pharmacy store near where I visit my boyfriend in California.

I thoroughly rinse my dishes. With glasses and cups, I give them an extra rinse or two before pouring anything into them otherwise I find bubbles sometimes form signalling there may still be some lingering soap residue.

The bottom line is I stay away from concentrated dish soaps (like Palmolive, for example) that are more likely to leave a soap residue and I also stay away from dish soaps that contain anti-bacterial formulas.

The cheaper dish soaps tend to be the ones that work best for me because they are generally not concentrated, and they're good for my budget too!

"Chemical Soup" Toothpaste! new
      #178769 - 05/13/05 09:15 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I personally don't think any chemicals are safe! You could try using a natural tooth paste sold at a health foodstore.

Or, you should probably rinse your mouth out thoroughly (numerous times!) if you decide to continue using the "chemical soup" you are brushing your teeth with now!

Thanks, Belinda. -nt- new
      #178848 - 05/13/05 02:26 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 848 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22365

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review