All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions about frequent small meals...
      #165141 - 03/29/05 09:50 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

Ok, I am still having some challenges with this "grazing" thing. After I eat, sometimes I feel yucky and bloated for like a few hours so then I don't want to eat again for awhile. Then, all of a sudden, I will start to feel very hungry or I will realize how long it has been since I've eaten and think I should eat something. I also have trouble realizing when I'm hungry. Like sometimes it feels like just discomfort or pain and I don't want to eat, but then I eat and feel a little better. If I feel that bad, does that mean my portion sizes are still too large? Should I just establish a schedule and eat according to that no matter what I feel like? And if so, how often? I have been usually eating something like every 2 to 3 hours, sometimes I wait as long as 4. I still feel like all I eat is carbs, which for now is ok since I need the calories, but I am worried I will never get enough protein since I can only eat such small amounts. I try to eat very small amounts of nut butters, fish/chicken, and soy yogurts or tofu, but they can make me very bloated and I am having trouble incorporating them into all the snacking. I am seeing a dietician next week, but I thought I would ask the REAL experts!!

On the plus side, I think that in general I feel better with the small portions and I am getting in more calories which is great!!
Thanks so much for any advice and sorry to bug!!

--------------------
~Angela

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions about frequent small meals... new
      #165143 - 03/29/05 09:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm...I know what you mean about the protein, I'm still struggling to get enough too. Is it any fish/chicken that makes you bloated? Soy and nut butters can def. be troublesome, but fish? Maybe you need some dgestive enzymes?

Making a tuna sandwich and eating half at a time is a good trick of mine. As is making extras at dinner so I have leftovers to snack on.

I don't eat according to any schedule, but then I'm trying to NOT eat too many cals so it's not quite the same.

#165487 - 03/30/05 04:57 PM
Angie113

Hey Linz! Thank you for your great advice, as always ! I was taking digestive enzymes for like a month or so, and I didn't really notice any change, and then I found out they interact with the bc pill!! So I had an episode of breakthrough bleeding, which I attributed to the enzymes, and my doctor agreed and told me to stop taking them. I might stop taking the pill soon, but for now I think I will have to leave the enzymes be. I wonder if Bean-o would have the same effect, since it's an enzyme. That might help with the soy...

I like your idea about only eating half the sandwich at time. I will try that. Thanks!!

--------------------
~Angela

Angie, why don't you... new
      #165521 - 03/30/05 07:22 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

post what and how much you are eating and at what time. This way, we can have a better idea on how to advice you and maybe switch or add some things around.

This would also be helpful to me, as I am thinking I may be doing too much food at one time.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Angie, why don't you... new
      #166320 - 04/01/05 10:15 PM
Angie113

Thanks Beth for the suggestion! Here goes:
Breakfast : 1/2 cup cereal w/ 1 cup ricemilk and 1 TB almond/flaxseed meal
OR 1 to 2 slices of Heather's Bread w/ 1 cup ricemilk and Earth Balance butter or nut butter
OR spelt bagel w/ nut butter or soy cream cheese and 1 cup ricemilk
Snack: (sometimes, if I get hungry two hours after breakfast) rice cake
Lunch: 2 slices toast w/ soy yogurt
OR 1 slice toast w/ nut butter or avocado and small cookie or Fig Newman and 1 cup ricemilk
Snack : rice cake or toast w/ ricemilk
Dinner : toast or rice or pasta w/ nut butter, Earth Balance, avocado, or bean dip, sometimes w/ 1/2 cup soup or other veggie
Before Bed : ricemilk and ricecake or bread
BTW, I have been eating a lot of bread lately because I made some over spring break and now I have an excess! Usually I try to eat more rice or other grains. Thanks for any advice on this!!

--------------------
~Angela

frequent small meals - how small is small? do you listen to body or eat only if hungry? Re: Angie, why don't you... new
      #362292 - 11/30/10 04:41 PM
meesshh

Reged: 09/04/10

Hi Everyone,

I completely relate to ANgie's first string - not wanting to eat because of pains/discomfort after eating and no hunger. I am very underweight right now and found Angie's list of meal sizes very helpful. Would others also share meal sizes?

People say "listen to your body", but I don't know what it is saying when I am in spasm or heartburn - eat or not eat? I can go 24 hours without solid food if I am all cramped up.

And dinner at 7PM doesn't seem to digest in time for bed, unless I just have cereal and soymilk and eat all bulky things like half an apple by 530PM.

Do I eat when hungry or just eat on a schedule? Do I eat a fist of food no matter what so I can get nutrition, or if not hungry, drink a meal replacement? Any tips? How do you decide when to eat and how much? Thanks for any input!

Michele

#362309 - 12/01/10 02:48 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

No two hours go by when I don't eat, sometimes it is merely half a banana however.

Also depends what you eat and when, I've found that in the morning, after not eating during the night I am more hungry. That said I do usually eat at 10pm as well. I can however tell when I am hungry and the kind of hunger I get. sometimes it is that i need to eat even if I am not really that hungry. that sounds weird, but in this case half a banana will be enough and my hunger will go away. if I am really hungry half a banana will not have my hunger go away. then I eat something in half an hour. I am lucky, I am doing an arts PhD ie am totally flexible as to when and how often I can eat. it varies as I said but a meal for me is never bigger than 2 slices of thin bread with lots of chicken and pepper/ half a potato and fish/ oatmeal 30g with soymilk. these keep me going for 2 hours usually.(maximum) I don't like eating bigger portions.

Also depends on what you eat, protein rich foods like chicken, quinoa, tofu,beans and even oats keep you feel sated longer. but you have to be careful about what is an IBS trigger and all that. beans may be too much you see.

for bloating from soy, beans etc: Beano may help:
http://www.beanogas.com/

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3079

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review