All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
whole foods breads
      #165079 - 03/29/05 04:35 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

so im absoultely in love with whole foods, i feel like a kid in an ibs friendly candy store! now although most of the foods they sell i CANNOT eat because they are "healthy" aka whole grains and such, there are some things that i can. however i was wondering if anything has eaten their breads or bagels? they say they are unbleached AND unbromated...i asked several workers what unbromated meant but im still confused, i got the sense it meant some part of the bran or whole grain part was not removed, wouldnt that mean it could be problematic for some people? ( i dont tolerate ANY whole grains, even a little oatmeal is a killer for me) and i also noticed they use high gluten flour- now i know im not glutent intolerant so would that mean im ok with that aspect of it? any thoughts would be appreciated!!

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: whole foods breads new
      #165080 - 03/29/05 04:44 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i get their sourdough bread. i haven't had a problem with it....I LOVE THAT STORE TOO!!! it's not a sell out type health store thats gone big. i trust most of their foods, and the workers there are knowladgable....which is a HUGE plus in my opinion!! My whole foods has vegan desserts that I can tolerate as well....and they have it's soy delicious rocky road!!!! as far as bread though, thats what i have, i get mostly normal bagles from safeway...as long as there is no HFCS

#165085 - 03/29/05 05:23 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I've had their plain english muffins (the ONLY dairy free ones I can find) and I was fine with them!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

great bread here!!! new
      #165087 - 03/29/05 05:34 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i feel the same way too!! walking into the store i feel like im in a safe-haven!! Rudys Organic Country-Morning White Bread is *THE* perfect bread there!! its organic AND dairy-free~i was so skeptical about eating bread from there too b/c as im careful about my IBS diet, im also more careful about my vegan diet--so im absolutely sure that bread would be fine for you to try. i know just what you mean about refusing grainy-bread. i actually dislike it on its own, not just b/c of my ibs. but that helps me stay away hehe. where are you from?? im in illinois and just discovered whole foods not too long ago. i always write about it in posts and replies but i never know if anyone else is near one. glad to hear theyre branching out [to wherever youre located] hope it works good for you!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: great bread here!!! new
      #165090 - 03/29/05 05:40 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

im from rockand county in ny...about 30 min from new york city. we dont have one in that area but there is one in white plains (30 min away) and one in new jersey (20 min away) i used to talk about whole foods a lot but i go to school in albany, ny and im so busy with tests i can hardly ever find time to post anymore. we have TERRIBLE supermarkets upstate, i miss whole foods at home

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

I have eaten their sourdough and rice bread with no problem... new
      #165092 - 03/29/05 06:10 PM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

they don't use preservative so the bread will mold quickly.

--------------------
"puffy"

#165429 - 03/30/05 02:44 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I found this definition of "unbromated" on the Web:

Unbromated Flour - A type of flour that contains a high level of protein and is often used as an ingredient to improve some aspect of the baking process or the prepared food. It is commonly used in baking foods at high altitudes, where higher levels of protein provide more gluten to form a dough with higher elasticity.

It sounds like it really means "gluier".

I like Whole Foods breads - I was heartbroken when our local store stopped carrying Rosemary Bread - BUT a couple of their breads have unexpected whole wheat in them, so read the ingredient tags carefully.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#165646 - 03/31/05 06:42 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

when you say you don't tolerate whole grains- what do you mean??
I am asking because I started eating a whole grain cereal and am having some "different" feelings inside and was just wondering what you meant by that.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: great bread here!!! new
      #165695 - 03/31/05 09:55 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

yah i know what you mean. i live a little bit from the city [chicago] too which is where alot of those stores are. it takes a little bit to get to the closest one which is still about 35 minutes away. and to add traffic its a pain! this past time when i went i stocked up so i didnt have to keep making the frequent trips. did you get to try that bread?? i also came across another food that seems good for ibs-ers. do you eat yogurt?? this kind is non-dairy. its a probiotic organic soy yogurt, and its made by wildwood natural. it has alot of fiber, more then other soy yogurts im sure and has those cultures that are good for the gut or something. hopefully you get to try soon! if all else fails for the bread you could always make your own at home if you have a bread machine. good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: whole foods breads
      #165698 - 03/31/05 10:09 AM
suarez

Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: ILLINOIS

I have also heard that Trader Joe's has a lot of what
Whole Foods have but are cheaper.
I have not had the chance to check out the one by me because
it is about 30 minutes away.
Deb

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review