All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Visiting the gas symptom again
      #163989 - 03/25/05 09:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Does anyone know why I get constant gas when I don't eat or drink or do any behaviors that would cause gas?

I don't eat any of the "gassy" vegetables, like broccoli or cauliflower, asparagus, etc. I don't do carbonation or any soy, garlic, onions, chewing gum, raw veggies, or any questionable foods. So why do I have this horrbile gas and gas pains?

Does anyone know what else could be causing this?

Thank you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I get gas with IF... new
      #163996 - 03/25/05 09:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...even if it should be safe! I still have major problems with IF even tho I'm stable.

Re: Visiting the gas symptom again new
      #164039 - 03/25/05 12:11 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry I don't know what could be causing it. I just wanted you to know that I don't eat any of the foods you mentioned either and gas and bloating are now my two worst symptoms. It is horrible isn't it, the pain is unreal sometimes, especially with trapped gas. I wake up every morning with gas and pains that either get worse or go away as I get up and get moving.
Have a good weekend and happy easter

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Visiting the gas symptom again--- (me too!) new
      #164042 - 03/25/05 12:31 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Gas and bloating are my two MAJOR problems too. One time I even thought--well, I must be three months pregnant (I also have irregular cycles, so I go long times between periods sometimes). I ALMOST bought a pregnancy test, but then it got better and went away. if you figure this out, let me know! Avoiding what causes me gas has been my ultimate goal lately, and I think I'm doing good, but I still have my days....maybe I need to try different kind of fiber...right now I'm just taking acacia....about 1.5 tsp per day.

--------------------

#164054 - 03/25/05 12:51 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

This used to be my greatest IBS symptom as well. It was reduced GREATLY using the IBS audio tapes. It has been almost two years since I listened to them and I am still doing much better. And I was as skeptical as they come! Also, I find that if I eat something at least every three hours that helps. If I am starving and then eat, I often feel gassy as the food takes up the space where air had been building. I also find that when I try to be careful about sugar intake (I am avoiding sweets and eating less high starchy foods for a bit while I get a few pounds off!) I do much better. When you do get gas pains, do you use a heating pad on your abdomen? I find it really helps. So does the "cat" position (on all fours or just leaning over on a counter top so my belly is facing down). One last thought, there is a particular cancer, a type of ovarian cancer I believe, that mimics IBS (and is sometimes misdiagnosed as such) in the form of bloating - I say this not at all to scare you, but to suggest you check it out with your physician. If the email forward that I have received a few times is true, your physician may argue against a blood test (for CA-125) but you should insist on it, just to rule that out. Hope this helps.
Andie

#164056 - 03/25/05 12:55 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Interesting that you bring up the ovarian cancer. Before I was first diagnosed, it was also around the same time that my cycle got screwy. So my first thought WAS something gynecological. I went to that doctor first, had tests, and he said I was fine and put me on birth control. (Since have gone off, so back to screwy, but it's only inconvenient now). THEN went to my regular doctor, who diagnosed me with IBS. But it's a REALLY good idea to cover all the bases. Going to more than one doctor can't hurt! (except your wallet)

--------------------

Ovarian cancer... new
      #164058 - 03/25/05 12:58 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...is one of the biggies that should be ruled out before a diagnosis of IBS is given.

Edited by Linz (03/25/05 12:59 PM)

#164069 - 03/25/05 01:34 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

are you taking any SFS? I know you've tried a couple but have you tried acacia yet? If so did you stick with it for a while? As I've told you before, I live with gas/bloating every day no matter what I do but with the acacia, it's not that bad. Also are you exercising? I walk 3 miles every morning & that really seems to help. Mine never really gets trapped so I don't have pain from it, but it's embarassing & stinky(depending on what I eat). You could also try takiing gas x every night. I know Michele does & she said that helps her.
As for why we get this (no matter what we do), that I dont' know, just lucky I guess LOL.
Give the SFS another try if you're not on them now. Hope you feel better soon
Meryl

Beth. new
      #164128 - 03/25/05 05:30 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've noticed for me it's that food chemical thing. If I have lactose, fructose or anything with amines in it (chockie, cocoa, yeast) off goes the whole gurgly tummy gas thing. It could be something in one of the foods you think is okay. I always knew chockie was bad but it wasn't till I found out about the chemicals that I realised chokie's only bad for me if I have bread with yeast in it for lunch. It kind of builds up in the system and causes problems when your body reaches it's limit of tolerance. Not sure otherwise but it's likely a food that's the culprit. Otherwise are you maybe leaving it too long between eating? If I have a late lunch I'm gurgling for the rest of the day.

--------------------
Amy

#164131 - 03/25/05 05:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Modern medical science can't even answer that one!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Amy, did your doctor diagnose you... new
      #164177 - 03/25/05 08:34 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

with these food sensitivities, or are you just trying to figure it out from the book you have read? Is there some type of test to see if you are sensitive to the chemical?

I don't know where to even start to figure out an elimination diet or whatever I would need to do to see if I am sensisitive to the amines or the other ones.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Amy, did your doctor diagnose you... new
      #164181 - 03/25/05 09:07 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

He hasn't actually diagnosed me (well he sort of thinks they could be a problem from what I've told him). The lactose/fructose enzyme was tested for when I had my gastroscopy so I'm waiting for the results on those for sure, otherwise the only way I'll know for sure about the amines/sacilites is to do an elimination diet for a few weeks. If only those foods affect me then I'll be intolerant to the chemicals and in the mean time it will also check that wheat/gluten etc are okay too. Hope this helps. (I try hard not to self diagnose, it usually gets me disappointed or scared!)
So as far as lactose and fructose and I think glucose go you can be tested to see if you're missing the enzyme that processes these sugars through a biopsy of the colon (I think maybe the small bowel area). But if eating fruit doesn't send you dashing to the loo for hours you are probably okay in that dept.
The other one unfortunately requires more trial and error with diet, however because it's done through the hospital they are there to help guide you and tell you what may be the culprits. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review