All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
GF breads etc new
      #165132 - 03/29/05 09:10 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I think you can make almost any recipe GF if you can get a GF All-Purpose Flour and xanthan gum (or guar gum i think?) use like 1 tsp for each cup of flour (I think that's right someone else, like the GF goddess Kandee , correct me if i'm wrong). Do you have the Eating for IBS book? I have made the Cinnamon Zucchini and Brown Sugar Banana Bread and they came out great! We also have Bette Hagman's GF Gourmet book, but her recipes are rather complex and you need to use lots of subs for dairy and stuff...Actually, I think Heather's recipes worked better since they are already adapted for dairy free. We also made this yummy GF cornbread from the IBS recipe index: GF cornbread

I have been tested for celiac, and, although I have a minor reaction to wheat, I don't have any of the big antibodies so I'm not celiac. I eat a fair amount of gluten, and mainly just bake the breads GF since my dad wanted to eliminate it. Plus, I have found more GF baking books and info than just wheat free, although wheat free would be easier. I can also buy wheat free breads at Whole Foods. My dad has never been tested or anything, he's not sick at all. He is just health obsessed (lucky for me!!) and eats no dairy or gluten to keep his cholesterol low.

I had my appointment yesterday, but the woman I went to at my school is actually not a nutritionist, so she referred me to the one who works there. So now I have to wait til next week Oh well. I think it will help too, thanks a lot for asking!! I will keep you posted! Let me know if you do any GF baking!!

--------------------
~Angela

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Taylahmai new
      #165138 - 03/29/05 09:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know this has come up before, but I can't remember/find your answer...have you considered Fibro? All those symptoms you describe are typical of Fibro (well bloating's typical of IBS which is typical of fibro) - as are sensitivities to all kinds of stimuli!

Linz new
      #165152 - 03/29/05 10:18 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Linz, yep I have considered fibro thanx to your info last week, and am going to discuss that as well as the possibility of hypothyroid when I see my doctor on Monday. I can just feel it in my bones that my problems are more then just IBS related. Actually, could you please clarify something for me? Is fibro the same as chronic fatigue, or is chronic fatigue just a symptom of fibro? So many conditions to understand, I think I'll need to quit work and become a full time researcher!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Re: Linz new
      #165153 - 03/29/05 10:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a different illness to fibromyaglia syndrome, but how they tell the differene I do NOT know! I guess maybe CFS has different "extras"?

And yes, chronic fatigue is a symptom of fibro...but everyone varies. Atm I'm not doing great, but sometimes I just need to get 9 hours in bed a night to feel ok.

Re: Abby *big hugs* new
      #165199 - 03/30/05 07:27 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Hey Ruchie, I havent been online much this week so I never got to reply to your post. Im not exactly sure on all your questions but I'll try! For the tea, I would guess that most of them are gluten free because usually they are just 100% leaves =) Medicine definitely needs to be gluten free, Celiac.com has a list of both prescription and store bought medicine that I have found pretty helpful. If its not on that list then I call whoever makes the med. I tried to use the pharmacy for help (several of them) yesterday and they were sooooo clueless about the whole celiac/gluten thing. They had no clue what it was and thought as long as it didnt say "gluten" in the ingredients that it was fine! But anyways the bottle almost never says gluten free on it so either check the list or call the maker.
There is so much to learn about all this stuff and I definitely am not even close to knowing it all but Ive gotten most of my help off the internet. Its the first thing I do when I wake up - get online and search for sites on celiac and gluten free food or check the message boards for any new questions about it. I also have bought a few books but I mostly use them for cooking. Well I hope you and the rest of us start feeling better VERY soon!
- Stacey

Re: Abby 82 new
      #165217 - 03/30/05 08:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Which meds are you on? I went to celiac.com and could not find the link to check for meds that are GF. The only thing I saw related to meds costs money to download the site!

Did you find another link on that sight to look up meds?

Thanks.
PS, Did you get my email?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Ruchie!! new
      #165221 - 03/30/05 08:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks Avidan My husband gave me the hugs on your behalf

It's tough! Having IBS AND being gluten free...I am learning I will just have to eat before I go somewhere (except on Shabbos I can't do that because of Kiddush....hmm...any ideas there?)

Unfortunately...some "adults" are not very mature and do not know how to deal with people being different. They don't understand why I can't have this or that.

BUT apparently this is my Nisayon from Hashem! And I can see clearly He wants me to learn to be assertive AND to be Dan Lechafzchus (sp) and if someone doesn't know how to repsond to me I should recognize their pain and have mpassion for THEM! They are NOT trying to hurt me...they just don't know how to deal with the situation and so they say/do things that they "shouldn't". So...I need to have a LOT o Emunah and Bitachon (pray for me, ok? Shaina Ricklah Bas Ita Chana). It's not easy...BUT I know it's for the good (Gam Zu L'Tova!!!!!)

How are YOU doing? I'm sooo glad your dad gaveyou a Heter for Gebruchts! that 's wonderful news! Now I need a heter from my Rav to eat Oat matzah on Pesach WITHOUT the official celiac diagnois. Any suggestions?

How was your Purim? I hope that all your Tefillos are answered SOON! How's school, etc....

I hope you begin feeling better very soon...refuah shleimah!

Take care!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Abby *big hugs* new
      #165223 - 03/30/05 08:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

I didn't know your name was Stacey...and I love the way you spell it. VERY pretty!

At least my vitamins (well, some of thm) say GF. So that's a start.

I'm about to go away for a week and I need to bring my own food. Any recipes you have to share are more than welcome! I'm quite nervous about the whole thing...and I'm trying to use my nervous energy to be prepared instead of useless worrying

How are you handling all of this? Are you feeling any better about things? How is your weight (if you don't mind my asking...if you do...ignore me or tell me to hush!)

I hope you are seeing results and feeling WAY better! You deserve to be happy AND healthy (don't we all!)

Thanks for the repsonse....

*hugs* Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Chrissy new
      #165224 - 03/30/05 08:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

How I wish I could talk to you on the phone!

((((((((((((((Chrissy))))))))))))ou do?

You have reason to feel down. To be listless and depressed. Food is your comfort and you can't use it anymore. Now what do you do?

You may find OA helpful.

OR you may try somethings...like...

Writing down what you eat. don't monitor it. The 1st week eat whatever you like whenver. This will give you a picture of what you're consuming and it may help you put a stop to it.

Btw...I also had a traumatic time as a kid--early adult. Feel free to e-mail me....

You are NOT alone!

Can you go outside? Get yourself a treat?

hv you ever tried nything natural for the depressive symptoms? have you ever had your adrenals tested? Is it possible your seratonin levls are off?

PLEASE know you are not alone...I have been where you are. Ifyou CAN move around. Put on some favortie music and dance. I know if I don't exercise I get VERY depressed. Something in the endorphins....

I just want you to know you are NOT alone...and you CAN beat this (I kno...I'm on my way to beating it as I type).

*big hugs* Chrissy....don't give up...we all love you!

With love and hope, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Linz new
      #165225 - 03/30/05 08:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

chronic fatigue means your #1 symptom is fatigue with the secondary symptom being pain...fibro is pain being 1st fatigu 2nd (read this in a fibro book).

Chrissy...if you think it's something more than IBS...you're prob right. But please consider this: Gluten intolerance CAN cause these symptoms as well. If you take the gluten out FOR GOOD you might find yourself feeling better from that alone.

Trust yourself! We know our bodies/experiences better than ANYONE! Do NOT settle for anything less than having every test and topic covered with the doc!

*big hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review