All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
Abby *big hugs* new
      #163976 - 03/25/05 08:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I am soooo sorry you have to go through this too

My e-mail is Ruchily@yahoo.com. It would be great to be in touch so we can help each other out

I HAVE been on AD's. But I got off them as I don't like to take medication. Have you tried valerian? Or anything natural? You might want to consider it. I'm still learning the ropes with GF as I was mostly wheat free before avoiding major things like spelt and stuff. Can we have any old tea or does it need to specify GF? Do medications need to be GF? Like if I buy valerian does the botte have to say GF on it? There is just soooo much to learn? how are you figuring out what is ok/not ok?

I definately would like to be in touch with you! I find having someone to go through things with makes a WORD of difference!

Thank you for your heartfelt reply. You WILL gain weight as things get better and you absorb your nutrients properly from what I've read. I am praying for you Abby *big hugs*

Thanks again....your post helped SO MUCH!

Sending you courage and prayers...with love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Myra new
      #163994 - 03/25/05 09:33 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi Ruchie,
I'm so glad you ended up going and having fun! You sound so much more cheery today then you did yesterday, so that's great. Let's keep our fingers crossed that what you ate was alright.

I'm doing better today, thanks for asking. I got really stressed/peeved on Monday, and that really sent me for a spin this whole week. I've been trying to stick to "breaking the cycle" foods these last few days and that's helping some.

It's going to be tough this weekend: I'm going skiing with some friends. Yippee! But I have a whole bag just full of food I can eat, and I'll have to think of reasons why I can't eat McD's, but I can eat chocolate-peperment fugde cake. I usually give people the "I'm on a diet" excuse for my odd eating habits, but they might see through that quickly.

We're going to Sunrise Resort in the White Mountains. You probably know where that is.

Have a great weekend!
--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Feeling SO alone....I know you will understand tho! new
      #164004 - 03/25/05 09:52 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Holidays that are based in tradition are very difficult - and I do not believe it has anything to do with a religous faith. I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago with St. Patricks day - I did not go to the family gathering because I could not eat the meal (and I did not want to smell the meal and bring my own) and felt incredibly sad that I missed it. It also created a sense of confusion for my nieces as they believe that I am the only person who is Irish in my family (my sisters don't count!)... long story

Though - much to my suprise - I got a call about Easter dinner which asked - "what can I eat?" so we worked a meal. I know I have to be patient with my family - and it is not always easy - but if they have questions - I will answer them.

This is a life long condition - and I know it was hard for me to know what I could and could not eat when I was first starting out - and I still make mistakes. I know as much as I want to be there - they want me there as well. Am sure your family and friends feel the same way. They will try to accomodate - and they will make mistakes - just like us. But we need to be sure we eat the correct things. Try to go to Purim (it is you they want to see) - and bring something you can eat (yes I know it is a pain)...don't be sad like I was on St. Patricks...

Hang in there..

Anne

Re: Hugs for Ruchie new
      #164025 - 03/25/05 11:05 AM
misery459

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Thank you Ruchie! I feel like I found my place.

--------------------
Misery459: Life is a Highway, live it on a Harley.

Hang in there! new
      #164040 - 03/25/05 12:22 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Just wanted to encourage you. We all know how tough these gatherings can be and it is just plain easier to say forget it and not go. Even though I certainly take this "out" often, I usually am glad when I go to the trouble to make my own food and partake in the fellowship of friends and family.

Where are you moving to that will be easier?

I hope you will have a wonderful time if you decide to go tonight.

Take care,
Leigh

Re: Big Sis new
      #164071 - 03/25/05 01:51 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Yep, life can be hard. But it always gets better at some point. Don't ever lsoe hop little sis.

Don't get me wrong, I make a lot of my food from scratch. I have a zillion cookbooks and sometimes find a few to make in a week just for added variety.

Hang in there Ruchie!!!

#164077 - 03/25/05 02:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sending you great big hugs, Ruchie. Do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask of you (or should ask). I will pray for you. XOXO

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#164081 - 03/25/05 02:44 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey
im sorry to hear about your terrible pain and i wanted to send a *HUG* your way!! i work @ a food restaurant [panera bread] and none of the people i work with understand where and why i stand where i do with my food. im always bringing my little lunchbox with my prearranged "safe" meals. as im also a vegan, i try to explain THAT to them and add in about my digestion and jokingly they kind of make fun of me. i try to laugh it off but deeper it hurts. they dont understand so they make jokes. most times i feel im the odd one out. what do you most commonly eat? i see your gluten intolerant. well heres another *hug* and i hope you feel better ASAP! youre def. NOT alone

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Darlin' new
      #164120 - 03/25/05 04:59 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I am so sorry you are feeling so down!

I understand what you are going through. I have the same fears of going out. Last weekend, after Matt and I had been on vacation for a week (and eating out almost every meal), we stopped by my parents house in Dallas on the way home for a few nights. My parents were so excited about our engagement that they insisted on taking us out to dinner, even though I told my Mom in no uncertain terms that I did not want to go out to eat and that Matt and I would cook for everyone. They insisted on taking us out to eat and now, almost a week later, my stomach is finally settling down. The price we pay for politeness...

The best I can suggest to you is to eat before you go and then pick at your food there. Unfortunately, we often come across as rude, but if you could explain that you have severe food allergies, that might help. One thing I've learned is that I would rather come across as picky, anorexic or rude than have a week of pain and bloating from one meal.

Something I think is interesting: As an anorexic, I was terrified of restaurants and anywhere that I would be forced to eat. Not even the fact that people would expect me to eat, but that I might lose control and actually eat. Now, I realize that I am just as terrified of food and restaurants. I wish that I could take a pill rather than eat each day. At home, on a normal basis, I am completely fine and stress-free, and even enjoy my new cooking creations most of the time. But I hate going out to eat because almost anything I eat (even if I special order it and it *should* be safe) is going to make me sick.

But, our lives cannot revolve around our tummies. We have to do everything we possibly can to stabilize them, and if we eat something not safe, we deal with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing your own food. If the only thing you can think of to bring is something like a crustless pumpkin pie made with soymilk (just an example here), tell everyone you've brought a healthy dessert, but don't expect anyone else to eat it :P That way, you look like you're contributing to the meal, but if there isn't anything safe, you can pile some non safe food on your plate and just mix it around and only eat your safe dessert.

(((Hugs))) We're here for you!

Love, Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I feel for you Ruchie... new
      #164126 - 03/25/05 05:22 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. That sounds like a terrible situation and I know how hard it is to be in the position where everyone else is eating something that you can't have. It's hard because it's not like I even WANT to eat whatever it is, I just don't want to feel weird because I'm not eating the same thing as everyone else. It's hard in college because everyone just eats all sorts of junk.

I do think the reactions you are describing seem insensitive. You don't need them prying into your private personal problems and their questions are unnecessarily painful. I agree that I always want to eat at home rather than go out since it is so difficult to go to other people's homes or even restaurants. And the consequences of eating something wrong are really not worth it...I hope that you can move somewhere with more supportive and understanding people in the community. Sending you hugs and support!

BTW yesterday I went to a fibromyalgia support group as part of my Psychology of Health and Medicine class and it was really interesting. I didn't know much about it, and now I understand how debilitating and encompassing it can be I feel for you having to suffer with that AND IBS AND this gluten thing. It's a LOT to deal with and I understand how difficult it must be; I think you are doing a great job even though right now you're going through a tough spot. Best wishes

--------------------
~Angela

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review