All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Darn that Dr. Atkins! new
      #16408 - 08/05/03 07:17 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

I actually TRIED something like the Atkins diet before I knew about IBS triggers--I thought I would die from the pain. After reading Heather's book and this website, I realized why that happened. So I've tried telling my Atkinized friends this story and they STILL don't get it. Now I usually just tell people I'm on a "special diet, ordered by my doctor," or that I have severe food allergies.

One thing I've found: When people have not experienced chronic pain, food sensitivities, etc., they are just not very sympathetic. That's why it's so helpful to chat with people who've been there!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Also.. new
      #16409 - 08/05/03 07:18 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thanks! Can I substitute rice milk for the soy milk? Are they interchangeable in recipes? (If so, would it need to be plain rice milk or would the vanilla flavored work? I just bought some of that.)

Re: Help! I Feel Like I'm Drowning new
      #16417 - 08/05/03 09:52 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Beaglelover,
I'm sorry your friends refuse to accept you have IBS and can't eat what they eat. It's very frustrating when friends disregard your feelings.
I am on Bentyl, and I have IBS C. I am able sometimes to eat trigger foods only if I take bentyl 2o minutes before eating. But it is not a cure all, and all your friends who use anti-spasmodics all the time are abusing their digestive systems. And they difinately sound like they are in denile about IBS.
I hope you are feeling better, and be strong and stick to what you know is best for you.
Cloudygirl

Re: For ecmmbm new
      #16418 - 08/05/03 10:01 PM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Beaglelover,
I am sorry if I'm out of line, but why bother hanging out with people who are so ignorant and unsympathetic to your digestive disorder?
Maybe if you stopped going for a few weeks or months even, they may realize how insensitive they are being.
Good luck
Cloudygirl

Re: Also.. new
      #16423 - 08/06/03 03:18 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yup, you can use rice milk. And the vanilla would work also since you're making something sweet.

hulless popcorn? new
      #16429 - 08/06/03 06:20 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Wow, I have never heard of this! Where can I find it? How on earth do they remove the hulls? This sounds like a great compromise, thank you! artist

never mind, I just continued reading -- nt- new
      #16430 - 08/06/03 06:26 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Re: RLU new
      #16432 - 08/06/03 06:27 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

I think Heather has some sharp IBS safe Asian style recipes in her book, I will look when I get home. But I think it would be a hoot to have an entire IBS safe meal and your friends none-the-wiser until after they enjoy the meal and the realize that is the way you have to eat. Maybe they will understand it better once they experience it. I get crap all the time about the bread and other carbs Heather recommends and I am athletic so people are always trying to push the protein down my throat and take away my carbs. I'm like please I would die if I didn't my colon would come to a screeching halt altogether. I'll browse through tonight and see, but I think your safest bet is to go Asian theme. Lots of cooked veggies too.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Boy, I thought I could be blunt sometimes!!! new
      #16441 - 08/06/03 08:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I have thought about that, but it's not that easy. These are my neighbors. Our kids are all friends. We celebrate everyone's birthdays together. Even the husbands go on golfing outings together and then the couples get together for dinner. I am in a Bonco group with them, in addition to a neighborhood book club. Our lives are very intertwined, as you can see. After moving into this community new and not knowing anyone, I gladly welcomed their company and the social activities that they have invited me to.
Hopefully, I will be getting a new job soon and that will take up a large portion of my time.

Re: Help! I Feel Like I'm Drowning new
      #16590 - 08/07/03 11:22 AM
Kristen

Reged: 08/07/03
Loc: Barre, VT (Home): Syracuse, NY (School)

I can totally relate to the friend problem! I am relieved to know that I am not the only one! I had a huge issue last year when I lived in my sorority house. My so-called "best" friend at school was convinced I was anorexic because I lost so much weight and I read labels all the time and I watched everything I ate. We all know why did that, but she was sure I was anorexic. Instead of learning about IBS which she knew I had, she proceeded to talk to all of my sorority sisters asking them if they thought I was anorexic. Pretty soon the entire house was believing I was anorexic because of this "friend."

Then she decided that the best thing for me was to confront me and tell me everyone thought I was anorexic. When she confronted me she TOLD me I was anorexic. When I tried to explain everything to her she said I was in denial and that I used IBS as an excuse not to eat. She said another friend of ours had IBS and she could eat whatever she wanted. I told her that everyones IBS was different, and that this friend had just been diagnosed so her habits may change (and I question if this girl even has IBS).

Needless to say, I couldn't convince her and we got in a huge fight. I decided to put a stop to the rumors and I called a house meeting and I stood up in front of 32 girls and explained EVERYTHING! YIKES! I told them if they really were concerned about me to come and talk to me and I would GLADLY explain IBS to them to help them understand my condition.

Luckily, I was able to convince most of the people (the girls I consider my REAL friends). The OLD "best" friend and about 3 other girls and I will never resolve this issue, but what can you do? Obviously they were not true friends. It was a difficult realization to come to!

Just hang in there, it sounds like your friends really care about you and if they are true friends they'll accept your condition and want to learn more about it!

Kristen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review