All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: This is so frustrating... new
      #16355 - 08/05/03 12:21 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I've tried to reply to you 3 times and keep stopping because the words aren't coming out right. Here's the gist: you with your friends is me with my family (MY family as in "back home", MY family not my OWN family meaning husband and kids). I know how you feel. I've tried to explain and it does little good. I've had to #1) limit time with them (seriously!!) because just being around them, my mother especially, was putting my colon into a full out charlie horse, but #2) learn to see the positive things when I AM with her and somehow let the eating comments roll of my back. It is a conscious effort and very hard! Hugs to you and hope you find that right balance for you! And I'm sure you'll have a lovely spread when you hostess.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! I Feel Like I'm Drowning new
      #16357 - 08/05/03 12:36 PM

Unregistered

Hi

I've had the same problem before with friends and didn't want to tell them the symptoms that I had or would get from eating their food.

I finally just started to say that I had food allergies or a sensitivity and if they didn't want me to lose anymore weight that they would not try to force me to try to eat the food that would cause me to become even more ill. I know it's hard especially when you're being pressured by your friends!!! So start to bring some of your own food with you. If they are your friends they will understand and if not you eventually have to learn to tell them to back off. It's hard when you're stressed already but it will make a difference in the end.

For your house try to make some of Heather's recepies. I borrowed a copy from the public libaray before I purchased a copy for myself. My favourite is the apple sauce chocolate cake. It's a soluable fibre and it's very easy on the tummy. It's incredible and when your friends see you eating that they wont be questioning you anymore thinking that you have turned anorexic.

Feel free to e-mail me anytime because i've been through it.

#16358 - 08/05/03 01:04 PM
Ashley62

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada

I'm really sorry you had to go through that - it's very frustrating trying to explain to people. When I began telling some of my friends recently that I'd been in pain almost daily for 20 years they were stunned. I find most of them have been helpful once I explained the problem to them.
Maybe the luncheon at your house would be a good opportunity to educate them a bit. Give them a brief overview of what you CAN eat - there's actually quite a lot once you think about it - and the things you can't eat. Then explain a bit about the problems - pain, bloating etc. without getting into the nitty gritty that we all know so well

If you explain that you need to eat a certain way or you'll be in extreme discomfort, hopefully they will all be glad to assist you!! Also, if you show them all how to eat low fat - you'll be helping them!!

Keep us posted - and good luck!

--------------------
Leah
"Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul"

#16362 - 08/05/03 01:21 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

A big problem I have being in my early twenties is drinking. I used to be able to drink, and now none of my friends can understand that I can't drink anymore. I can't even have a sip. I get the constant "why aren't you drinking?" "Can't you have just one?" They think it's going to change the very next day and my magical fairy godmother is going to poof and make me able to drink. Drives me nuts!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#16365 - 08/05/03 01:33 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Am so sorry you felt so bad. I so know what you mean tho,i had a friend sit me down,tell me she thought i had an eating problem,like yeah,i have iBS,i can't eat certain foods,she was meaning anorexia,because like many you loose some weight eating healthy.She had even spoken to my other friends about it,i was the last to know it seemed.Was so upset about it all,of course that then triggers an attack!What people cant change,they have to accept,and eventually am sure they will.Have a happy hostess day!

--------------------
Morven

#16366 - 08/05/03 01:36 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

I'm so sorry but I can relate. I get gripped at all the time that no wonder I am so little I don't eat. But somedays, especially feeling bloated and C your body can't handle it, plus I usually get full after a few bites, I think this is a symptom of IBS as well. So I just eat here and there to keep myself stable. Some days are worse than others. But I know how you feel and I'm sorry. Think about this for your lunch menu, I have noticed a lot of the Asian dishes are IBS safe, so maybe go with that theme. Lots of cooked veggies with the Lo Mein noodles and the rice. I think you might be able to disguise an IBS safe meal under that theme. Good Luck, chin up.

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

mourning the loss of hot buttered popcorn new
      #16367 - 08/05/03 01:58 PM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

My absolute most difficult thing to give up has been hot buttered popcorn. I love it. No, I LOOOOOOOOVE it! My daughter made it the other night and just the smell of it almost brought me to tears. Sigh, yes THAT is what I miss most. I believe potato chips and onion dip are a close second. artist

Re: mourning the loss of hot buttered popcorn new
      #16371 - 08/05/03 02:29 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Have you tried the hulless popcorn? Then you can spray it with the butter spray, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (0 fat) Spray.

#16375 - 08/05/03 03:20 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey BL! Sorry you're having such a tough time with your friends. Are these the same ones that took you out for your b-day?

Well, next week, I think you should make a kick-butt lunch and really show them you can eat good food. And then, don't tell them not only is it good, but it's good for you too until they've eaten! LOL I wonder if they'll even notice....

Maybe you can get them to change it to a potluck type of thing, and then you can always bring yourself something safe to eat? Of course, you could always bring your own food anyway even now. If that seems like you'll be rude, I say so what. They don't seem to have been all that polite to you, IMO.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

For angylroses new
      #16383 - 08/05/03 04:03 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I had to laugh at the thought of a fairy godmother waving a magic wand and making it all disappear!!! I think that's what a lot of my family and friends think. We know you couldn't eat that last week, but what about this week? they will say to me. Aren't you better now? (Yes, the reason I'm better is that I'm watching what I eat!!!!) But they just don't understand this. I'm glad to know someone else can relate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review