All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help Me Play Detective!
      #162963 - 03/22/05 08:58 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

I was doing better yesterday, and once again today I'm extremely ill with severe diarrhea and gas. Please see if you can help me narrow down what it could have been. Last night I had one soy burger (like the frozen Boca Burgers) and a fat free blueberry muffin with no dairy int it. I have also just increased my fibercon from 2 pills to 4 a day. As I'm sure you all understand, I'm tired of being miserable! Thanks.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Me Play Detective! new
      #162965 - 03/22/05 09:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. Well blueberries can be difficult, but a muffin should be fine...it didn't have any artificial sweeteners in it did it?

The soy burger didn't have dairy in it, did it? Sometimes a problem.

What else did you have yesterday? ANy triggers, cold drinks, gaps with no food, too big meals, stress? Or are you tired?

Linz has it pretty well covered... new
      #162974 - 03/22/05 09:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just wanted to second the idea about the soy burgers being a possible problem... a lot of them do contain dairy, and I think some also contain whole eggs, not to mention a lot of possibly questionable additives and such. I'm perfectly ok with any quantity of soy in the form of tofu, soymilk, etc, but I can't eat soy "burgers" or any other colored/flavored soy "meat", for some reason.

Hope you figure it out... and feel better quickly!

Re: Linz has it pretty well covered... new
      #162981 - 03/22/05 09:44 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Everything they said, and I look for soy burgers that are marked Vegan. That way I know they are safe.

#163004 - 03/22/05 10:57 AM
Ericasmom

No-I checked the muffin label for dairy, but not the soy burgers. They have 9 grams fat a serving-is that too much? I'm also coming off those horrible supplements but didn't think I'd have such a bad reaction. Yes-I slept terribly last night. Only about 5 hrs sleep. Thanks.

--------------------

Fat content new
      #163005 - 03/22/05 11:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's the percentage of calories from fat that matters..so I'd need to know how many calories there were in the soy burgers. Fat is 9 calories a gram and you want to aim for 20-25% or less.

Personally, I can tolerate higher, but that's just me. And having high-fat foods with low-fat foods to lower the overall percentage of fat in the meal can help.

#163048 - 03/22/05 01:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Depends how your tolerance is... 9g of fat in something would be way too much for me, especially if I was eating anything else with it. I know the official word is 20-25% of your total calories, but I have to eat less than that, and I try to not eat anything that has more than 6g fat in it.

#163053 - 03/22/05 01:09 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

soy burgers didn't have MSG or other "artificial flavour enhancers" did it? They hurt my tummy!

--------------------
S.

#163071 - 03/22/05 01:52 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Do you eat soy on a regular basis or was this the first time? If you're not used to it, your body doesn't produce the enzyme needed to digest it and you get gas and diarrhea from it. Just a thought.

If that's the case, then just build up slowly with small amounts and/or take Bean-O which is the enzyme your body needs.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#163121 - 03/22/05 06:09 PM
Ericasmom

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one, girlfriend! My body is definitely not used to it yet! Thanks for the suggestion-I'll cut back!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1957 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review