All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
My celiac story...please send me courage!
      #162953 - 03/22/05 08:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi!

So...I added wheat back in last week in VERY small amounts. I had been eating barley oncee a week and doing seemingly ok with it. But I added the wheat, and then spelt bread, and my gas is smelly, I have hemms, a horrible taste in my mouth, etc., and I know it's the wheat but I think it's the gluten too? I ate oatmeal and felt AWFUL! Then I did something totaly dumb......I decided I would prob never have bread again so I ate a ton of french bread (couldn't resist!) Now I feel slugish and my tush hurts!

I KNOW, I KNOW, my tests came back neg for celiac. But it sounds like I shouldn't eat the stuff regardless doesn't it? I know I'm always telling people to trust their gut. And I think I already have the answers....but it would help to hear your opinions.

no sugar, citrus, meat, (chicken even makes me sick!) tofu upsets my tummy....every day it is something else I can't digest properly. Who knows...maybe it's the barley I had every week keeping me from getting better?

Sorry to post about celiac on the IBS board....hope no one minds

Thanks for reading! Feel good everyone *hugs*

P.S. Feeling low right now...any cheer-me-ups for being sick from gluten/wheat? How do you cope? Do you do something extra nice for yourself? I think I need to...I jut feel so yuck right now

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My celiac story...please send me courage! new
      #162955 - 03/22/05 08:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't have advice - very unusual for me! - but I wanted to let you know I read your post and I'm so sorry to hear you're suffering so. Please don't beat yourself up about eating French bread - it's not dumb, just human. Frustration is a b**ch.

As for what I do when I'm feeling yuck, I curl up in a corner of the couch with a cup of herbal tea and a good trashy novel and disappear the world for an hour or so.

Hang in there - you're not alone.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

{{{Hugs}}} new
      #162961 - 03/22/05 08:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can you have a teeny bit of super-duper chocolate? A square of green and blacks always cheers me up!

Keep in mind that the fibro might be messing up your food tolerances...Jen thought she was gs for ages and then wasn't.

Spit test for gluten antibodies, thyroid, and my emotional state.... new
      #163057 - 03/22/05 01:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

No, no chocolate for me. It's not worth feeling worse for...

I know it's wheat for sure...gluten not as sure. I DO know I've been taking this stuff in and out of my diet for 2.5 years and I seem to do better without it.

i just tried going to Trader Joe's but I couldn't find it I am going to get hubby to go with me tonight so I know what I'm lookin for next time.

In the meantime I need to go to WalMart and to Whole Foods. I just feel so down I don't want to go anywhere BUT i will go anyway! If there's one thing you ladies have taught me...it's to get out evev if I don't feel like it. GREAT lesson!

Not easy right now! We're testing my adrenals with a spit test AND my gluten antibodies. I am HOPEFUL that things WILL get better. And that we will get to the bottom of this. The natropath isn't so sure I have fibro. He thinks it may be hypothyroidism. My thyroid is 3 CENTMETERS! It's HUGE! He said (as Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum mentions in From Fatigued to Fantastic), that hypothyroidism often mimmicks the symptoms of fibro. So we will see. it doesn't matter so much what I "have" as it does that I am able to treat it and live my life happily!

I feel in my bones I am on my way to wellness. But the path there is DIFFICULT, full of challenges, lonely times, etc. i'm so glad I have all of you on the boards to cheer me on...cause I sure need it!

Thanks Linz...you're the best! *big hugs* I hope you are feeling GREAT these days? Love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie!! new
      #163112 - 03/22/05 05:27 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

You poor little possum. I can hear your frusturation loud and clear!! We're in the same boat, negative tests for coeliac (for some reason in Aus we put an 'o' in before the 'e'.....) but still very sensitive to gluten. I went strictly GF for 6 weeks last year and so much energy returned. I've been predominantly GF since then (7 months) but have felt crappy ever since I started being only 'predominantly' as opposed to 'strictly'. But its confusing because I've also brought a few other foods back in since my strict 6 week diet of no meat, sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, alcohol etc etc. So its hard to know what my food intolerances/ sensitivities are. Hence why I'm going stop all the wondering, frusturation and confusion, and am doing my detection diet.

Anyway, as for gluten: wheat, oats and rye are all terrible me (bloat, C and horrible gas), I can't remember the last time I had barley, so I'm not sure how I react to it. Spelt I think I handle better, but its so hard when you have delayed onset of symptoms.

Anyway I'm determined that my detection diet is going to finally give me the answers that I need. I'll let you know how I go with my strict quest of GF. BTW, the pharmaliv (liver tonic) I was taking didn't do much, unfortunately I started eating gluten again at the same time and I became so fatigued, bloated and C that I stopped taking the supplement, and started focusing on my digestion again.

Maybe one day I'll clear my IBS and be able to focus on looking after my liver to see if that gives me some improvement!

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

PS forgot to say...... new
      #163117 - 03/22/05 05:33 PM
Taylahmai

BIG *hugs* from down under, I'm feeling really down at the moment as well. So have decided that because I'm doing so well with my detection diet, I'm going to treat myself to a new pair of sunnies, and a trip to the beautician. I'm hoping that will make me feel a bit better bout myself.

Perhaps you can treat yourself to a facial or a massage? Or a new bag!! All girls need a little something to cheer them up when they're feeling really down

--------------------

what is your detection diet? new
      #163131 - 03/22/05 07:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And how are you managing the constipation without magnesium or SFS? What are you eating? Brown rice, millet, fruits with peels?

What is your diet like, Chrissy?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Sorry you are feeling blue new
      #163132 - 03/22/05 07:21 PM
Augie

Which I could make it better for you! But I can't even help myself. I too am down and feel beaten and defeated tonight. I am so confused and in so much physical pain. I have given up so many foods, yet get no relief. It is not fair.

I wish we could all just get together and laugh and hug. We must keep each other going. I know I couldn't handle this without you guys.

Ruchie, have you thought about going back on the lexepro? I know you want to be med free, but maybe your brain needs it? I'm not trying to push pills, No way. But thought I'd bring it up.

Many hugs to you, sweetie.
Love,

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: what is your detection diet?
      #163136 - 03/22/05 07:31 PM
Taylahmai

Hey Beth,

I replyed to your thread about detecting trigger foods when you have C a little while ago: check it out

As for managing my C, well I'm hoping to do it mostly with food alone - ie eating the right things (once I work out what they are!!). Plus I take a multivitamin which contains a little bit of magnesium, hopefully its enough to keep me ticking along. And the main thing for me is WATER WATER WATER and MORE WATER! Plus lots of tea and exercise.

I haven't eaten brown rice, millet or buckwheat for a while now, but am planning on bringing those into my diet once my bloat settles down a bit. For me, food consists of steamed/ roasted veges, GF bread, tuna & chicken at the moment. Not very exciting but my tummy is in real turmoil - oucch

--------------------

Re: what is your detection diet?
      #163137 - 03/22/05 07:39 PM
Augie

You don't do any grains at all? Not even white rice? No baked potato or sweet potato:

Is your GF bread white rice or brown rice?

What veggies are you roasting?

I am very interested in this! Are you doing this all on your own?

I'm surprised you took out the magnesium. Even in a vitamin there cannot be that much.

I am impressed that you are still able to go even without the fiber of grains!

No fruits either?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2018 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review