All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Those of you with C... new
      #163072 - 03/22/05 01:53 PM
sweetasc6h12o6

Reged: 03/22/05
Loc: Saint Louis, MO

Ya'll are so nice and helpful!!! I've been taking Equalactin (500mg polycarbophil), do you know if this is the same as Benefiber? And is Metamucil different than Citrucel? My dad takes Metamucil for regularity (don't know if it's C or D...I don't ask LOL) and I've tried Citrucel and it doesn't work Thanks so much again!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bamagirl new
      #163134 - 03/22/05 07:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you take the cal/mag in one tablet or separate tablets? Do you take 250mg of the calcium or the magnesium? Do you have a brand that you could recommend?

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#163162 - 03/22/05 09:40 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

My lovely lineup is:
100mg liquid Magnesium in AM (just started it, am supposed to work up to 400mg)
"Multidophilus" probiotic
1 1/4 t Acacia (still working my way up!)
B vitamin complex
~50-60 oz liquid per day
moderate exercise 3-4x week, walking every day
I just stopped taking digestive enzymes (interfered w/ bc pills) and peppermint caps (think I have reflux)

--------------------
~Angela

Re: bamagirl new
      #163240 - 03/23/05 06:21 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I take a combination of 500mg cal/250 mag. I take Nature's Bounty Chelated mineral form so I don't throw it up. I split the pills so wind up 250mg cal/ 125/mag x 3 day. The calcium really helps me sleep so much better, and the mag helps move things along! I have to have chelated minerals though, and water is key. Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#163241 - 03/23/05 06:24 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Source Natural Essential Enzymes have a broad combination of enzymes. I'm not sure if the papain is in there or not.

The Omega 3:6:9 is a combination of organic flax oil, borage oil and fish oil. I take one capsule with lunch and one with dinner. A lot of mention here about flax oil helping C, and the lady at the health food store said you get the greatest benefit from a combiation of oils. The ones I'm taking now are NOW brand.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Stevia-plus in my coffee and two spelt muffins with flax seed.... new
      #163249 - 03/23/05 07:18 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I no longer need any SFS, don't cramp, seldom bloat....LIFE IS GOOD!

--------------------
"puffy"

#163269 - 03/23/05 08:15 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, e-lax is not a good idea on a regular basis. If all else has falled you ask your dr about Miralax. Its a prescription laxative, but its an osmatic laxative, it works by pulling water into the colon unlike the e-lax which is a harsh stimulate laxative. Its still possible to become dependant on miralax but I've taked it four 4 years and it still works great!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#163285 - 03/23/05 08:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

SFS (soluble fiber supplements) such as benefiber, equalactin, citrucel, fiber-con or acacia (I'm sure I missed a couple but those are the main ones) all basically do the same thing, they stabilize the gut. Certain brands do seem to work better for certain people so feel free to try different brands to see what works best. Typically the powders contain more fiber per dose than the pills do.

I've been IBS C for about 19 years now. I got to the point where I was taking over the counter laxative 4-5 times a week. Finally my dr prescribed me miralax. I've been on it for about 4 years and it still works great for me. Your colon still may become dependant on it but its an osmotic laxative and doesn't use harsh stimulants. I mix a spoon of Acacia in with my Miralax every morning!

Stool softners are all pretty much the same, peri-colace. You can take them on a regular basis without problems, unlike regular over the counter laxatives.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

How much magnesium is safe? new
      #163291 - 03/23/05 08:47 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Right now I've been taking somewhere around 2000mg a day. Any less and I can't go... but I also should try some stool softeners since that is essentially what the magnesium does for me anyway.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#163294 - 03/23/05 08:54 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I drink a capful of Miralax every morning in a large glass of water/cranberry juice. For the past couple weeks I've also put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed on my cereal or in my oatmeal every morning. Wow. I have never gone to the bathroom so well!

I think this combination of Miralax & flaxseed is really helping me.

I will say, though, that I tried eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal a couple days & got VERY C, even taking the above supplements. I learned to stay away from that cereal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review