All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My first colonoscopy
      #16289 - 08/05/03 08:51 AM
StansAngelXXX

Reged: 07/08/03
Loc: Albany, NY and Hartford, CT

Hi everyone- I've met with my new doctor and she is great. She has scheduled a few tests for me, my first being a colonoscopy for this coming Monday. What should I expect? I am being sedated for the procedure which is comforting because I am nervous. I cannot imagine drinking 64 oz. of Gatorade with Miralax in it!! With dulcolax on top of it. Now is a good time to recommend good books to read- sounds like I'll be in the bathroom all day- a first for someone with C!!

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My first colonoscopy new
      #16294 - 08/05/03 09:20 AM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Sarah - three cheers for you, for getting the 'scope!

If you do a search for colonoscopy, you should pull up some posts. Quite a few of us have shared our various experiences. In a nutshell, many people would probably tell you that the prep is the worst part - drinking the "stuff" and being tied to the bathroom that day. It seems there's more than one way to prep a patient - the stuff I had to drink was really yucky and I had to struggle to keep the second dose down! Gatorade would have been delicious, I think! The diarrhea wasn't really any worse than you might have with a virus, for me, anyway. (I'm "d" anyway). Once they put me to sleep, I knew absolutely nothing until I woke up - and was just woozy - no pain. My gastro doc always uses a pediatric scope, so I really had very little discomfort following the procedure. When I got home, I took a long nap because I was still woozy & drowsy. The next day, I just took it easy but really had no problems. Hope it's the same for you! Your great attitude will serve you well!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#16332 - 08/05/03 11:23 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I am right there with you. My first is scheduled for Aug 22. I had a sigmoidoscopy 10 years ago, but I don't remember very much about it. I understand how you feel. My mom had it done last year and told me to take off my clothes and lay in the bathtub. Sounds disgusting doesn't it?

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#16359 - 08/05/03 01:06 PM
StansAngelXXX

Reged: 07/08/03
Loc: Albany, NY and Hartford, CT

I'll let you know how the whole procedure goes. I'm not sure about the bathtub thing quite yet, but desperation can cause a number of actions! If I try that, I'll let you know too! I assume try the bathtub thing AFTER things start running out clear or else we'd all be in for a big mess. Good luck to you too!

#16361 - 08/05/03 01:12 PM
vcarson

Reged: 06/23/03
Loc: Alabama

I had my first one in June and I thought it was a breeze. The prep really wasn't as bad as I'd thought either. I had to mix a small bottle of some very salty stuff in sprite. Had to do that 2 nights in a row. Since I have D anyway with my colitis, isn't wasn't much different, except I did get dehydrated. But the actual colonoscopy procedure was nothing. GREAT DRUGS!!! I hear I was a real comediane but I remember nothing! Came home andhad the best nap of my life! You'll be fine!

#17728 - 08/19/03 04:35 AM
Nicola

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: QLD, Australia

Last Friday my new doc suggested I have a colonoscopy. I have the contact details sitting on the dining room table and look at them every now & then... I am a great big chicken. However, I have a mate at work who has told me there is nothing to it - he has one done every year as his family have a history of polyps? So its just precautionary. He warns about some major wind afterwards though. Suggests to put your feet up, get a DVD or two and settling in for the night. Hmm, I will give the clinic a ring in the morning and schedule one in. Perhaps a note from the doc prescribing lots of foot rubbing and bottomless cups of peppermint tea to be made by one's partner after the procedure is in order. And possibly the day after too.

Edited by Nicola (08/19/03 04:40 AM)

#17741 - 08/19/03 11:01 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

i also have to have a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy(i think that's what it's called) on Sept. 5th and am a little nervous too.
it's only 3 days before my birthday and hope that i have recovered by then.
has anyone ever had an upper endoscopy done?

#17742 - 08/19/03 11:17 AM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

when I had my testing done i was more worried about the upper endoscopy more than the colonoscopy. They will give you a drug to relax you and make you forget the procedure when mine was all done I did not even have a sore throat.
I felt that test was the easier of the two. Its not anything to be afraid of.

#17743 - 08/19/03 11:29 AM
ArynMagoo

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: California

thanks i really needed to hear that!

#17744 - 08/19/03 11:53 AM
Cate712

Reged: 07/18/03
Loc: Missouri

I've also had the upper endoscopy but it was about 15 yrs ago. I assume it's the same and it wasn't bad at all. I'd rather have that than a root canal!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review