All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Along the college vein new
      #166594 - 04/03/05 11:13 AM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Ruthie!

Thank you so much for your post. I am so thankful to find another singer with similar problems to mine! The bloating makes it hard to breathe and support my voice, but my throat doesn't seem affected by fibro (just hormones - my hormones are in a cycle, but the rest of my body is not due to my severe weight loss). The bloating and pain is what causes the most problems for me in terms of singing, but I find that singing is therapeutic for me and helps my pain lessen sometimes. Does that happen to you as well, or is singing impossible when you're feeling ill?

I'm not feeling very well lately, and I had to use phosphosoda last night to get cleaned out again due to being backed up and in so much pain. It's so frustrating! I'm sorry to hear you have had a tough time of it, too, but what regiments are you on to try to regulate your IBS-C?

Your message brightened my day! I hope you're feeling better today...

-Alisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you tried using and SFS new
      #166614 - 04/03/05 02:28 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I take fibercon every morning with an 8 oz glass of water. Also I take a probiotic at night. I'm not sure if that helps much or not, but probiotics are good to take if you have IBS.
When you have time to read all the sections of this web site you may find other things that work for you. Check out the Cheat Sheet. I keep it posted on my fridge so that I can reffer to it when I am hungry.

Hope this helps. Feel good.

Chany

#166655 - 04/03/05 06:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Alisa!

I'm sooooo relieved that it is not in my head! The bloating just takes away from performance (and quality of life if ya ask me!) My throat has been so soar of late from fibro that I have scratched the idea of doing children's educational music. But I believe this will not be a forever thing and I look forward to the day I can get back on track with the greatest therapy I've found yet!

I LOVE to sing! Have taken lessons, the whole bit! What do you enjoy singing? I have always loved showtunes and country and such. Now I am a religious Jew and I enjoy singing for women and performing for women as well (my last performance was 2 years ago...we raised enough money for the oldest daughter of ten children to have a wedding in a hall instead of at home in Israel!)

I'm so glad you can sing when you don't feel well...how wonderful for you! It can make the whole world different when you can sing.

You're message brightened my day soooo much! i have always wanted to ask someone if being bloated effects their quality of voice. May I ask what other symptoms you get?

I try to eat right. I mosly follow Heather's diet...but I find I need a LOT more fruits and veggies to get my bowels moving. Small meals are crucial for me. I eat a lot of pureed veggie soups. Yo may want to try charcoal for gas (but not on a long term basis) if the teas and SFS don't do the trick. You can also try bromelain as a digestive enzyme and see if that helps.

What do you eat regularly? Have you done a food journal? What GI tests have you had?

Have you given Heather's diet a try?

i really hope you begin to feel better soon.....and that you can get off the phosphosoda. *hugs* Take care!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Have you tried using and SFS new
      #166661 - 04/03/05 06:36 PM
Alisa

Hi Chany,

I've tried so many SFS, but I only tried Acacia for three days before noticing increased bloating and pain. I'm going to cut back my dose and try it again. I also take probiotics, marshmallow root, and a product called CleanseMore by Renew Life. I'm afraid that if I stop any of them, I'll have more C, which has happened in the past. It's a lot of trial and error. Thanks for your suggestions!

-Alisa

#166664 - 04/03/05 06:50 PM
Alisa

Hi there!

I have tried charcoal but not bromelain. What is that exactly? I get such horrible gas, gas pains, bloating (I look pregnant almost all the time), and I have to eat small meals as well. I have to eat little bits throughout the day, otherwise I'm miserable. I have followed Heather's diet and avoid wheat/gluten, refined sugar, dairy (except I eat eggs), and most fats (canola oil and flaxseed are my main sources of fats). I live on lean meats (not red meat), fruits like berries, veggies like squash, green beans, peas, carrots, salads, and corn, and rice. It's very restricting, but it's better than if I eat whatever I want. I make my own baked goods out of gluten-free flours and honey, and I make my own soy ice milk. What do you usually eat? I usually stick to egg whites or eggs, flaxseed, the fruits and veggies I mentioned, the ice milk, homemade muffins or scones, rice cakes with jam, rice cereals, the meats I mentioned (I'm a huge protein person...I love my meat!), and rice noodles. I do keep a food journal as well as a calorie count so I can make sure I keep gaining weight. I do pilates and stretching for my fibromyalgia and IBS, and both do wonders for me.

My main symptoms are the contstant pain and bloating, both of which increase significantly after eating, and I get horrible acid reflux after eating anything. I take ranitidine for that. This affects all aspects of my life and my singing as well. I sing opera, actually, and have studied voice for almost nine years now. I hope to one day become a professional opera singer and sing abroad as well. We'll see what happens! I'm so glad you are able to use your singing to benefit others and for fun for yourself! That's wonderful! My singing is something that brings me such joy and gets my mind off of my IBS.

I've had three endoscopies, four colonoscopies, a laparoscopy for my endometriosis, a chest tube put in for when the doctors collapsed my lung from putting in a central IV line in my chest from being so dehydrated (I had to have a feeding tube as well...my IBS pain got so bad I couldn't eat at all. It was an absolute nightmare), and I've had the barium swallows/radioactive egg tests done, too. No obstructions were found, of course, but the pain is always there. It's so confusing!

Well, I have to go, but I thank you for your message - it's wonderful to write to you! I hope you're feeling better, too.

-Alisa

CleanseMore new
      #166674 - 04/03/05 07:17 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Alisa, I went to buy some CleanseMore yesterday and the bottle says it is NOT for prolonged usage. Please be cautious with this one.

It contains lots of Aloe with is a harsh laxative for us IBSers. It is not recommended at all!

Like I said, even the company states that this product is for "occasional" constipation and only be used short term. I know you feel it is helping, sweetie, but I am concerned that you are taking something that can cause permanent harm to your GI system.

I take two of the products listed in the ingredients, but these are both safe. Slippery Elm and Triphala. You could do both of these separately without consuming the horrible aloe. Both are safe for continual use. I think your marshmallow is basically the same as the slippery elm.

Just me worrying about you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#166810 - 04/04/05 08:35 AM
tam38

Reged: 06/28/04

Hi!

Small world What year/major are you?

Re: Venting and looking for help new
      #166811 - 04/04/05 08:43 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Alisa I don't have alot of advice- but I can appreciate where you are coming from. It is scary being so thin as you worry about nutrients etc... I get bloating no matter what I eat also. You definately aren't alone on this board! Hang in there.
Melissa Feel better soon.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#166818 - 04/04/05 09:19 AM
123linda

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: France

You poor soul.Try eating Heather's diet with no gluten at all.It has really worked for me as long as I also take Oxy-Powder for C.Nothing else works for that with me.I used to have terrible bloating.I have Celiac and IBS-C so I really understand how awful it is.

#166838 - 04/04/05 10:11 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

fourth out of five years, biomedical and electrical engineering

How about you?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 771 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36382

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review