All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Along the college vein new
      #163532 - 03/23/05 10:02 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Avidan!

Thanks so much for your message. It's SOOO nice to know there are others out there who know what I'm going through by experiencing such IBS problems as well. I am at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. The food services have been accomodating by making me special meals according to my dietary needs (although the quality isn't super...but I'll take what I can get!), and my teachers have been very understanding. Both of my parents teach at the University, so that helps as well. I am a voice performance major, so my voice teacher has been a huge mentor and source of support for me and my health. I've studied with her for nearly nine years now, and she has been with me through my health problems and how it affects my performing. Thank you also for sending me the link to the thread. I did find it helpful. I hope you are doing well. Isn't IBS with constipation absolutely HORRIBLE?! My empathy is with you - I know how frustrating this can be. I'm so thankful to be a part of the boards on this site now, though!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alisa, how did your dr's appointment go? new
      #163533 - 03/23/05 10:16 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

In addition to the PCP visit question, I was wondering if you've tried using those new disposable heat pads? I use Playtex Heat Therapy pads during my period (sticks to your underwear and works SO MUCH BETTER than 4 ibuprofen pills), but I also find them EXTREMELY helpful when I'm having any kind of abdominal cramping. Therma Care is another brand, but the Playtex ones are cheaper and one heating pad lasts 12 hours. Maybe these would help alleviate some of the pain you're experiencing.

Hope you're doing well this week!

These are GREAT! new
      #163565 - 03/24/05 02:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Helped me through many a bad day at work!

Re: Venting and looking for help new
      #163568 - 03/24/05 02:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Getting the celiac or gluten intolerance thing worked out will make a BIG difference. You don't want to be eating foods that hurt you b/c of that and nor do you want to be eating gluten-free if you don't have to!

Medicinenet has some great info on celiac...see here . In particular, here's the page on testing for celiac.

Good luck with your doctor!

Re: Alisa, how did your dr's appointment go? new
      #166240 - 04/01/05 02:48 PM
Alisa

I actually do use ThermaCare heat wraps all the time! I LOVE THEM!! My doctor appointment went well, but nothing really came of it. I'm in contact with doctors at MAYO clinic and UNC about possible treatment with Naltrexone and pelvic floor re-training. I'll be contacting a doctor at UNC by email tonight. Hopefully, this doctor will be able to help me. I just get so frustrated with doctors who just let me do all the research and experimentation without following up on me or helping me. It causes tremendous stress on my family and me. I hope you're feeling better today - have a great weekend!

#166385 - 04/02/05 09:28 AM
tam38

Reged: 06/28/04

Hello - I am a senior college student, also suffering from IBS. I was diagnosed was I was 10, but it really started to get bad my freshman year of college. Over the past four years I have discovered many methods to help me get through the rough periods. Talking to your professors is definitely a great idea. Whenever I have to give a presentation I always talk to the teacher about my situation and it decreases my anxiety by ten fold. They are usually very understanding.

I would say the biggest help will be to closely monitor your diet. It's extremely hard to eat well in college when everyone always wants to order pizza and drink beer. My friends often think that I'm weird b/c I follow such a strict diet, but eventually they get used to it!

Good luck

ps - Avidan, I go to school right next store to you at Drexel!

#166498 - 04/02/05 11:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Alisa,

Welcome to the boards!

I have a question for you...if you don't mind? I was a voice major and am contemplating doing some projects with my voice. And I find when things go awry with my body...my singing/acting is affected.

Can I ask what happens to you?

I find my throat hurts from fibro or whatever is ailing me (we're still unsure of that diagnosis...). I also find bloating makes it hard for me to brathe and it effects deep breathing one uses for optimal vocals. Does this sound familiar?

I'm sooooo sorry you are going through all of this in colleg. Things got bad for me within my 1st few months of marriage and have goten worse since (however...I have started feeling better....).

Feel fee to e-mail me if you like Ruchily@yahoo.com

I hope you are feeling MUCH better and that you get to the bottom of all of this soon. Check out the IBS Fitness Board for ideas on gaining weight as well. You're NOT alone *big hugs*

With love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Welcome Alisa new
      #166532 - 04/03/05 07:31 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

You've come to the right place. This site is full of people with great advice.
I have (had) the same problem. I couldn't tolerate food. I was so scrawny that I looked like a skeleten. Well actually I looked like a pregnant skeleten becuase my belly was always bloated from the IBS.
I was also afraid to eat becuase I never knew what would set me off.
But now that I've been follwing Heather's diet I found that I have been able to put on a little weight (not much but I'm not withering away anymore).
Alisa it doesn't happen over night. Start with the "What to eat When you can't eat anything" foods and work your way up. Don't worry. You'll get there.
Also it's important to discuss with your doctor what you are doing so he/she can moniter your progress and give you advice and help when you need it. IF you have a good doctor he/she will be encouraging and helpful.
Just take it one day at a time and consider each food that you swallow to be a victory.
Visit this sight often and keep asking questions. One thing I doscovered since I started visiting this site is that there is No Such Thing as a stupid or embarressing question. We are all in the same boat.
Lots of Luck.
Chany

#166585 - 04/03/05 10:17 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You go to Drexel?!? So do I!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Welcome Alisa new
      #166593 - 04/03/05 11:07 AM
Alisa

Hi Chany,

THANK YOU so much for your post! I appreciate your support so very much. I, too, look like a pregnant skeleton. I had to use phosphosoda last night to clean me out since I was so backed up and in so much pain. Life is so hard with IBS-C and my constant pain, but I'm a very positive person and rely on my faith to get me through things like this. What else have you tried besides diet to help with your IBS-C? What supplements have you tried and liked? I need help to keep my bowels moving normally and consistently!
-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4975 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36379

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review