All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Venting and looking for help
      #162728 - 03/21/05 02:28 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

I am an 18-year-old college student who has been plagued with chronic pain, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, IBS (maybe celiac disease), and severe weight loss. I am scary to look at because I am so thin. I am trying desperately to gain weight, but the foods I can tolerate are so low in calories that weight just isn't coming and staying. I feel so alone and scared of all the health risks of being so underweight. Is there anyone who can give me advice or a word of inspiration? I'm so tired of being told I have an eating disorder by doctors when I don't and my problem is bloating and constipation (which increases after eating anything). Please help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Venting and looking for help new
      #162731 - 03/21/05 02:35 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Alisa,

So sorry to hear that you've been plagued with all these health problems. I am a college student too, and know that having IBS alone doesn't mix with school work - let alone all of what you have.

Definitely check out Heather's books. Then start on the basic Breaking the Cycle diet she recommends to get your body stable. Then slowly start increasing some safe foods into your diet.

There are a lot of people on here trying to gain weight and have done so by eating lots of safe breads that are high in calories.

Hope this helps and welcome to the boards!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#162733 - 03/21/05 02:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try boosting your soluble fiber intake. Eat small amounts often. Constantly be nibbling on something. Bagels, rice, potatoes, white bread are now your new best friend. There are lots of members on this board with a gluten intolerance. I'm sure you'll get some advice with that.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#162743 - 03/21/05 02:52 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm assuming you've already read the info on this site and have started (or are planning to start) Heather's diet. If so, you're on the right track! Once you're stable and eating regularly, you'll gain the weight back; just know that it may take a while. For some people, it's hard to lose the weight, for others it's hard to gain it back.

Oh, and please know that you're not alone! I was diagnosed with IBS-D when I was 18 and in college. That first year I went from a healthy 130 pounds to a puny 105 pounds. At 5'6" I was so underweight I couldn't even donate blood. For me, the weight loss took an emotional toll. I had never been so small before, never felt so weak and low in energy. It was as though I were a different person! I didn't recognize my own body! I mean, I hadn't weighed 105 pounds since 6th grade!

Eventually, I went back up to 124 pounds and felt great! Unfortunately, after being stable for a few years, I had some sort of stomach flu or gastroenteritis last fall (which triggered the IBS again) and now I'm back down to 108 pounds. But I'm doing better and I have gained three pounds since October. I'm just following this diet, lifting free weights to get the muscle back, and taking care of myself the best I can. I also try not to focus too much on what the scale says, but more on how I feel. Here's a link about gaining weight on the IBS diet.

I'm sorry you're suffering from other health conditions as well. If your doctors are not going to listen to you and they want to assume you have an eating disorder, I say, "Get new doctors!"

#162752 - 03/21/05 03:56 PM
Alisa

Thank you so much for your reply, Maria. I have looked at this website and have followed a similar diet for the past four years. Knowing you have gone through similar problems to mine makes me feel better! I am almost five feet tall (a little under), and weigh in the 80's. I know - it's awful. I was around 100 pounds two years ago and then lost the weight quickly due to increased pain after eating. My weight has fluctuated back to 90 lbs, and now after a stressful term at school, I'm back down in the 80's. I'm starting to eat as much as possible at every possible time of day (and night), so hopefully that will start helping. I am in search of a doctor who will understand my situation, and I have an appointment with my primary care physician on Wednesday. I hope it goes well! I hope you are feeling alright...

#162753 - 03/21/05 03:58 PM
Alisa

Thank you for your reply, Hansolo! I am so thankful to have advice and support from fellow IBS sufferers. I have an appointment with my primary care physician Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes...

#162755 - 03/21/05 03:59 PM
Alisa

Hi Jennifer! Thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear from another college student! What have you done to help your IBS at school and manage stress? I'm so glad to be a part of the boards now!

#162759 - 03/21/05 04:07 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

Hi Jennifer! Thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear from another college student! What have you done to help your IBS at school and manage stress? I'm so glad to be a part of the boards now!

I actually just started taking a once a week yoga class, which has helped my IBS tremendously. Also, I make sure to watch what I eat and take a precautionary anti-spasmic pill that my doctor prescribed to me if I have a test (Levsin is the name of it), which comforts my stomach and my mind.

At the beginning of the year, if my class syllabus says that attendence is mandatory, I will sometimes talk to my teacher and inform them that I have a cronic medical condition that sometimes forces me to miss class sometimes. I am not required to tell them what the condition is as it is none of their business! But I also make sure to let them know that I am pretty good at managing it so I don't anticipate to be out of class more than once or twice. So far, all of my teachers have been very cool about it as long as I keep up with my school work.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Along the college vein new
      #162773 - 03/21/05 05:07 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Hi there, and welcome to the boards.

I'm also in college, and you should know that a lot of the profs are pretty understanding if you need to miss a class, a day, or even two days (as I once did) if you're not feeling well because of the IBS.

Another thing you should do if you get a chance is to talk to your Student Disability office, or whatever the equivalent is. If you in fact get a medical diagnosis for IBS, you can qualify for test accomodations, such as extended time to compensate for time spent in the bathroom, alternate locations, and more.

I reccommend going to this thread. It's all info from college people about how their experiences with IBS.

Hope your doctor appointment goes well.

Avidan

PS: Where are you in school?

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#162806 - 03/21/05 07:25 PM
Alisa

Hi Jennifer. I also make sure my teachers are aware of what I'm going through. It sure is frustrating to not be considered "normal" like the other students. I'm feeling a little better today than yesterday, so I'm thankful for that. I cherish every day that's better for me in terms of my IBS!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review