All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Venting and looking for help new
      #167328 - 04/05/05 02:52 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

I am soo sorry about that Alisa. Are we the youngest ones on here? At first it seemed like I was always having problems, If not daily it was every other day. I am glad the Acacia is working for you though. Shame on those doctors. its weird because when I first started having problems I came to a doctor here who performed my endoscopy and her said he thought I had IBS, put me on Donnatol, and when it dind't work, he told me I must be making stuff up and Now that I know about IBS I know that the medication was not even the type I should have been on. Maybe thats why its so hard to deal with doctors,because they think they know everything LOL.

I am doing better though Alisa, I have been bloated for the past two mornings but I am okay.I founf that Vietnamese food is good for me becasue itts prepared in such a low fat manner.I do Yoga occasionally, sometimes it helps, and sometimes it makes my body feel like I am going to have an attack.

Have you tried changing your diet yet? You might want to try that before getting on any meds becasue you dont want to be dependant on meds. I was dependant that my doctor was going to give me something to make me feel better, and I'd be disappointed when it didn't work, but I was eating stuff that didn't agree with my system. I am about to try some digestive enzymes he recommended. To gain my weight....I ate even when I felt sick or nauseated but I would eat something that doesn't bother me.. Like Oatmeal and Toast. When you feel good or if, take advantage, dont over do it, but eat a meal, then a snack. My fav snack right now is peanut butter and crackers. On the days I feel good I eat cereal or peanut butter sandwiches between meals.I eat oatmeal or cereal in the morning and a bannana maybe 2 hours later, then lunch 1 1/2 to 2 hours later(which is usually my most Risky meal of the day since I know I'll be active afterwards) about 2 hours later I eat a snack..Banana Nut muffin or crackers about 3 hours later dinner and sometimes 2 hours after dinner I eat a snack. Thats how I have been doing it, people still say I am tiny, but I can tell the difference in how I feel.Definately keep me posted on your days and your progressions. IBS is a weird thing to deal with, but trust me it can be dealt with.

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#167331 - 04/05/05 03:10 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Thank you so much for your message. I actually have been on a very restricted diet for nearly four years now (almost the entire duration of my constant pain, which has been almost five years). I avoid wheat/gluten, refined sugars, dairy (I eat eggs, though), and many fats as they all make my IBS worse. I live on meats (not red meat), fish, veggies (except potatoes), fruits (except blueberries and cherries - I'm allergic), and cook with canola oil and have flaxseed for my fat intake. I can't handle nuts because of the fat content (I had fat malabsorption in one of my stool samples), which can be a real pain, plus I'm allergic to almonds. I'm a really sensitive person when it comes to foods and medications...I have to be really careful when trying new things so I don't have bad reactions (sometimes I can't breathe, I swell in my face and tongue and throat, and my throat closes). It's scary.

My doctors have told me my pain is all in my head as well. I've heard everything, from eating disorders to possibly having to have my colon removed! Thank goodness I didn't stick with those doctors! I do not have an eating disorder or a mental problem where I'm making this up. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, fibromyalgia, IBS, and possible celiac disease. I hope to find a doctor soon who will be able to help me and understand my symptoms. I've seen over 100 of them so far.

I eat little meals throughout the day, otherwise I wouldn't be able to function. Eating large portions nearly kills me. I have to eat about every two-three hours. I guess that's healthy anyway, but it's annoying to have to plan ahead when I'm in class all day. I think there are a couple girls who are 15 and 16 years old on the site, and I know parents write in about their kids on this site as well (my Dad is one of them - his username is Musicprof). I am so sad that we all have to deal with such sensitive digestive systems!

Today has been a relatively good day for me in terms of my IBS-C, and yesterday was as well, and I am so thankful for that! I do pilates and stretching everyday to keep my muscles from tensing with the fibro (it works, but I'm usually tense because of the fibro and IBS pain). The pilates is a Godsend when it comes to bloating and when I need an energy pick-me-up. I highly recommend it!

Well, I'm off to choir. I hope you are feeling better and having a good day!

-Alisa

Re: Along the college vein new
      #167541 - 04/06/05 09:34 AM
123linda

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: France

Hi Alisa,I am still having trouble finding messages.I eat an awful lot of rice!!I have either a rice based cereal, banana and rice milk, or gluten free bread and gluten free jam for breakfast.For lunch,I have some sort of fish,cooked veg and rice and for my evening meal different cooked veg.with chicken.I stir fry the veg or bake it in the oven.I have mixed results with potatoes,but will try them again soon.I have been feeling better and better,but my weakness is chocolate and I ate some yesterday (gluten free)and have suffered stomach pains all day today.For a treat,I have rice cakes with something smeared very thinly on it.The only gluten free food I can buy here is bread,flour,rice cakes and soy sauce.Nothing is labelled gluten free so I have to experiment which is really scary between the IBS and celiac.Thanks for the post.It is so lovely to have a reply.

Re: Alisa new
      #167552 - 04/06/05 10:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hope the dr's at the mayo clinic and UNC can help you. I'm very interested in the drug Naltrexone. Please keep us posted as to what they suggest and if you try this drug for your IBS.

I've also see MANY MANY dr's over the years and have heard the "its all in your head" way too many times also!! It just makes me so angry! I wish those dr's could live in our bodies for just one day and than see them say its all in our heads!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Me too, constant, no episodes new
      #167587 - 04/06/05 10:56 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How do you get in to see a doc at UNC? I thought you were going to go see your doctor at Mayo. Wouldn't they give you the drug there? I'm confused.

Yes, let us know about the Naltrexone. My doc won't give it to me. I think you would have to have a doc write out a script and then mail it in to one of a few pharmacies over the web that are making the drug in the smaller mg version. Of course insurance usually will not cover this as most insurance companies stipulate which pharmacies you can go to. But I think a month supply came to around 30 dollars on the web, so that would be worth it! I don't know that I trust the internet pharmacies anyhow. Not sure how reputable they are.

Glad you had a good day. Hope they continue! But we take what we can get, right?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#167615 - 04/06/05 11:56 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Its weird because it seems like evryday I find out something else aboutmy IBS. Recently I have been having pain whevnever I need to pass normal stools if I try to hold off. I'm at work and I had to use the restroom, but my stomach started cramping terribly like I had diarhea and now that I have gone, it stopped cramping ? Have you ever experienced that.

My parents have been supportive. I moved to Miami from Charlotte without them so they want me to come home until we find out how to completely reduce the problems.My boyfriend is very supportive, he just refers to my stomach as sensitive when he tells other people about it. I was looking at some of the other post on here and I can't wait until I am attcak free.I proably should cut wheat and gluten out of my diet but it would be sooo hard. What type of foods do or can you eat on a reduced gluten diet.

I am so sorry you have fibromalgia, but you can beat that too! I just heard about it this past December because a girl I worked with had it. She was one of the most lively people, but when her fibromalgia hit, it basically changed her for the time being. I haven't tried pilates, I'm on Yoga, is it more difficult than Yoga?

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Linda new
      #167619 - 04/06/05 12:12 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you actually have celiac? Or do you have IBS and a gluten intolerance (not the same thing at all)?

Re: Alisa new
      #167788 - 04/06/05 10:10 PM
Alisa

Hi Michele,

I will definitely keep you posted on the naltrexone. I haven't heard anything yet. I've resorted to acacia and flaxseed to keep me regular recently, and so I've been feeling a little better. I hope you are, too! I think it would be interesting for doctors to experience our pain for a bit and then see what they think. Maybe they'd help us out a little more and a little faster, too!

-Alisa

#167789 - 04/06/05 10:13 PM
Alisa

Hi Linz,

Thank you for the Celiac information and the links. I haven't heard from any doctors recently, so we'll see if they get back to me this week. I hope they do! The Acacia and flaxseed are working well for me and I'm doing better this week! I'm much more regular! Thank goodness! I hope you are feeling better as well.

-Alisa

#167790 - 04/06/05 10:19 PM
Alisa

Hi! I think being on a gluten/wheat-free diet has helped me immensely. You have to eat lots of rice (most people also have potatoes, but I can't since they don't agree with my digestive system), but there are lots of breads and other foods that are made for Celiacs. There are lots of websites that will help as well. If you google Celiac Diet or just Celiac Disease, you'll find TONS of info. Pilates isn't much harder than yoga, but it's more active, I think. You should try it! It's wonderful and a stress reliever as well. As for the cramping, I get cramps a lot. Mostly when my bowels are moving due to supplements or sometimes I'll get cramping and nothing will happen at all! It's confusing, and I think my intestines are just sore and confused as well! I'm hoping that the acacia and flaxseed combination I have going will keep me regular.

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review