All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Venting and looking for help new
      #166931 - 04/04/05 12:32 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

Hi Alisa
I am Alot like you. I'm 20 and have been suffering from IBS for about 10 months now. Mine began as a reaction to H.Pylori and the 14 day antibiotic treatment. I have been thin all my life, but prior to the infection I was 5'6 126 pounds..I loved my size. The IBS hit. My lowest weight has been 104 pounds. Prior to discovering the diet and that I was agrrevating my IBS by eating fast food I was having attacks 3 times a week and overeating at meals. People thought I had an eating disorder because I would be in the bathroom after meals. (I have a IBS-A)

I have to say that I have seen improvement under Heathers Diet. I have cut out milk, cheese doesn't bother me in small amounts. I have limited my cereal to those recommended, and Oatmeal. For me Oatmeal has been a very safe food, whenever I feel stomach problems coming, Oatmeal calms me down. I still deal with Nausea, but I am slowly gaining weight, I was 109 at my last doctors visit and I have limited attacks to once in 14 days.My ideal is at least 118 and IBS attacks to less than once every three weeks.

Alisa trust me things will look up. I have p ut my trust in god that I will be able to lead a normal life and I am seeing it slowly but surely. I was soo depressed because of it and wanted to commit suicide, but ... God prevailed. This site has been alot of help...Your in good hands

--------------------
Keep Smiling

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Along the college vein new
      #167136 - 04/05/05 05:31 AM
tam38

Reged: 06/28/04

I'm also in my 4th out of 5 year, in the business school. I have quite a few friends that are biomed engineering (I can't imagine how you can handle that AND electrical!). It sounds like you were diagnosed pretty recently, have you found it difficult to adjust to college life? I was diagnosed when I was little, but it was a really difficult time for me especially my freshman year (I'm sure you know how those freshman dorms are, the bathrooms are terrible!). Do you take any meds yet? I am always curious to see what others are taking, I have been on Levsin for the last 6 or 7 years.

#167142 - 04/05/05 06:13 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I was diagnosed my sophomore year of college, but I've had IBS since my senior year of high school. Luckily I lived in a suite my freshmen year, instead of the normal dorms, but with the dining hall and not really knowing anything about diet (other than I wasn't eating meat or anything whole wheat), things were pretty bad for me my freshmen year as well. No meds for me, the docs can't find one that either (a) works or (b) I don't have nasty side effects to. But I'm much better now, I follow Heather's diet and my big thing is making sure I get enough sleep.

If you want, my email's in my profile, feel free to drop me an email!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: CleanseMore new
      #167287 - 04/05/05 01:21 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Beth,

Thank you for your concern! I hadn't noticed that warning. I'll definitely stop that. I started Acacia again at 1/4 tsp at night, and it seems to be working along with the flaxseed! I'm hoping I'll be able to stay regular with that...cross your fingers!

How are you feeling?

-Alisa

#167289 - 04/05/05 01:22 PM
Alisa

Thanks, Melissa. I'm feeling better lately, thank goodness. I'm trying Acacia at 1/4 tsp every night now, and I think it's helping my regularity along with flaxseed. I'm hoping for the best!

I hope you feel better as well,
Alisa

#167294 - 04/05/05 01:28 PM
Alisa

Thank you for your encouragement! I rely on my faith in God as well to get me through rough times (which are everyday for me). I don't get IBS episodes...they're CONSTANT for me. I'm always in pain and always thinking about how food will affect my bloating and constipation. It's horrible. It's so hard to gain weight when the only foods I can eat without pain are so low in calories. I'm trying my best, though, and my parents have been wonderful sources of support. My entire family is wonderful about that. My doctors aren't. I'm in contact with a doctor at MAYO clinic and UNC about possibly trying Naltrexone, but I won't be able to get the drug until I see the doctor at UNC (even then, maybe I won't be able to try it since it's being tested now) this summer. Right now, things are looking up. I've tried adding back in Acacia SFS at 1/4 tsp every night plus flaxseed. So far, I've been regular!!! Yay!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way! I never thought I'd pray for bowel movements!!! =)

How are you doing? Are you feeling any better? How did you gain some of your weight back?

I hope you're feeling better, and God bless,
Alisa

#167296 - 04/05/05 01:30 PM
Alisa

Hi! I am a freshman and a vocal performance major. What about you?
Thanks for writing! I hope you are having a "feel good" day!

-Alisa

#167298 - 04/05/05 01:32 PM
Alisa

Hi! I am a vocal performance major and a freshman. I might be getting a double-degree in either Italian or Theater...but we'll see. I wish I was more scientifically inclined, but I seem to do better with music!

-Alisa

#167302 - 04/05/05 01:34 PM
Alisa

You're story is like mine. I always react to medications or foods negatively sometime or another. It's so frustrating. Diet helps a lot as well as getting enough sleep! I am always thinking about how my schedule affects my IBS and I make sure to sleep enough. Otherwise, I'm a total basket case!

-Alisa

#167303 - 04/05/05 01:36 PM
Alisa

Hi Linda,

I am on Heather's diet as well as a gluten/wheat-free diet, plus no dairy (I eat eggs, though), and no refined sugar. It's horribly restrictive, but better than not being able to function. What kinds of foods do you eat primarily?

I hope you are having a "feel good" day - those are so precious!

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4692 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review