All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Thanks for the link! new
      #164476 - 03/27/05 11:58 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm sorry but I forgot what you suggested about finding a doctor. I searched, but couldn't find you response to this topic.

If you don't mind, could you tell me again? If it was the thread on good IBS docs on this website, there was none listed for Illinois at all.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for the link! new
      #164478 - 03/27/05 12:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's my post about finding a good doc. I do refer to the thread started by Heather on good docs, but in particular to her idea of finding a good GI guy by checking with IBS hypnotherapists in your area. Here's that particular post .

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks new
      #164482 - 03/27/05 12:30 PM
Augie

Now that I reread this, it reminded me that I did call a hypnotist for a referral and he never called me back. Time for another call!

BTW, in the old post, you said that you were still researching other possibilities besides IBS. Are you still doing that, or have you come to the conclusion that it is IBS and only IBS?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I eat baked squash every day! new
      #164485 - 03/27/05 12:41 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Beth,

I actually have the same problem with baked squash lately. I love it so much, but if have it many days in a row, or twice in one day (especially at the same time), I get horribly bloated and am unable to eat anything for the rest of the day. I'm not sure why that happens, but diet rotation is very important with IBS. I found I did the same things with blueberries and am now allergic to them. This is so frustrating!

Re: question about sugar?? new
      #164486 - 03/27/05 12:46 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this post. It makes me feel so much better to know that other people recognize sugar's negative affect on IBS and digestive health. My nutritionist/dietician I was working with two years ago (I stopped working with her after a month...she was awful. She told me I had an eating disorder and not any physical problem at all!) told me that sugar couldn't be a problem. Well, after eating anything with refined sugar I notice that I'm horribly bloated and unable to eat anything for the rest of the day due to the horrible pain I experience. Obviously, that isn't normal, and avoiding sugar has helped me. I use honey to sweeten things, and I don't crave sweet foods at all anymore. It's better to avoid sugar than to get sick from it!

Re: Thanks new
      #164497 - 03/27/05 02:15 PM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not researching anything else. With Heather's diet and acacia, plus use of Bentyl and Immodium as needed, I'm doing much, much better, so my official stance right now is that it's "just" IBS. My GI - bless his heart - is willing to do more testing for parasites if I insist, but he really, really doesn't think anything like that is going on and I'm just not psychologically up for more stool specimens (sorry, probably TMI). Maybe later if my recovery stalls before it gets to a point I consider ideal.

There were a couple of posts that really resonated for me in terms of deciding to spend my energy doing Heather's plan to the fullest rather than continuing to search for some other problem instead of or in addition to the IBS. One was LauraSue's comment about taking meds aggressively rather than reluctantly. The other was this whole thread and particularly KinOz' "I hear you" post within it. I decided to stop beating my head against the wall trying to find another explanation on the Internet or get a doctor to tell me what "else" was wrong, give Heather's plan my full focus and best efforts, and see if it worked. For me, it's worked very, very well.

Fine print: If you've got symptoms that just don't meet the IBS criteria or if you're absolutely convinced there's something else wrong, you need to pursue it. That's part of how BadlyDrawnBoy started this whole thread. Poor man, his original post has grown like Topsy - he probably doesn't even recognize it anymore.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Alisa, you've got a lot on your plate! new
      #164503 - 03/27/05 02:42 PM
Augie

That's a lot for an 18 year old to deal with!

What type of surgical procedures have you had done? Were they for the IBS? That sounds like not so much fun. So after seeing all these doctors, they have diagnosed you with IBS?

What fruits and veggies can you eat? Do you need to cook your fruits and peel all of them? And how the heck did you figure out which ones you could tolerate when the pain is chronic? When I am in pain everyday, it seems impossible to determine which foods are the problem foods and which are the safe ones. It seems like it doesn't matter what I eat,the pain is there. I do know I cannot handle raw lettuce and probably not course brown rice. but not sure yet.

Perhaps the soy milk is a problem for you as well. It can cause cramps and bloat and gas for many. Have you tried rice milk instead? Just a thought.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I eat baked squash every day! new
      #164504 - 03/27/05 02:48 PM
Augie

Actually, I don't know if they are a problem. After reading your post, I started to think that maybe squash might be a problem because of what you said about eating it so much and that's what I do, thinking it was a pretty safe veggie. I am trying to narrow my foods down to see if I can determine a problem food, so that is why I don't rotate my foods. I thought this is what we were suppose to do to figure out triggers. The only problem with that is if you include a possible trigger food in the elimination diet!

Like, I now eat squash and potatoes (in form of sweet potato or Low Fat Kettle Krisp potato chips) everyday, but it either of these is a problem, I would never figure it out because they are in my "safe" diet. This whole thing remains a mess for me.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: LOL-yes, like a bad hair cowlick! new
      #164522 - 03/27/05 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yep we all have triggers, but that is not to say they are above and beyond the trigger list on this site that Heather has come up with. Those are definite triggers but I don't feel everyone has extra special triggers besides that. I DO think though that we all have some of those that are worse or better for us. Some people, like me, have a very bad, sensitive reaction to fat but not so bad with IF. Yet fat and IF are both triggers for all IBSers to some degree.

Maybe I do have a trigger on top of the normal list but so far I haven't found it. I like my diet the way it is!

(I did think though for years that papaya and mango were allergy foods for me. Papaya went through me once in a few minutes and my mom is allergic to mango. But it turns out they are fine for me. I got D from something other than the mango at that time. (Years ago I took correctol and immodium almost every day! EEK!))

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I am scared of food new
      #164592 - 03/28/05 04:23 AM
melissam

Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I was and sometimes still am that way-
I would eat the same exact food for breakfast lunch and dinner every single day- but I knew that wasn't the greatest thing in the world either. I came to the conclusion that I am going to have cramping pain after I eat all day long no matter what I eat. Obviously I can't sit down and eat a dozen chicken wings - but I do try to add diferent foods in once in a while- If I am going to be in pain no matter what I figure I might as well eat something other than grhama crackers, chicken, applesauce and oatmeal.
I am totally afraid of certain foods- and I was the same way- I would read something that didnt agree with someone on the board and that was it- I WASN'T EATING IT. But then I told myself everyone is different.
And guess what- things have been no worse than they were before and I am eating more things now.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review