All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: My Reservations About The Diet (please comment!) new
      #164049 - 03/25/05 12:45 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

My heart goes out to you, because you sound just like me! I am an 18-year-old college freshman, and I have IBS-C as well. I have been dealing with my symptoms for over four years now, and it all started with food poisoning from Chinese take-out. Since then, I've been on hundreds of medications, seen hundreds of doctors all over the U.S., undergone several surgical procedures, and tried numerous diets. I also have endometriosis, fibromyalgia, symptoms of Celiac Disease, and have experienced severe weight loss due to my inability to eat because of all the bloating, cramping, nausea, and constipation. I have found that following the celiac diet has helped me immensely in terms of gas and bloating. I also avoid dairy (I have eggs, though), refined sugars, processed foods, and high amounts of oils (canola oil is the easiest oil for me to tolerate and cooking with PAM canola spray is fine, too). Packaged foods are always dangerous for me because of all the mixed ingredients. I find doing my own baking is safe (websites for Celiac patients are very helpful, and I substitute honey and soy milk for sugar and skim milk - I know soy milk would bother you, though, so maybe you could try rice milk). I live on fresh meats, fish, veggies, fruits, rice, and rice/gluten-free flour mixes. Since chicken upsets you, I would suggest turkey breast and maybe tofu. As for veggies, raw veggies do not bother me as long as I don't eat too many. I love baked acorn squash, but if I have too much of it, I'm miserable. It's a lot of trial and error (heavy on the error side). Apples, I have found, bother me as well as high insoluble fiber fruits like raspberries (if eaten in large quantities). Applesauce or apples without their peels are easier to digest and for me to handle (the peel is the part with insoluble fiber). Bananas and grapes, as they are high in sugar, bother me as well. But, raisins seem to be alright if I have them in moderation. I have four tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal a day, and I just received Heather's Acacia Tummy Fiber today (I just had 1/2 tsp and will have another later in the day...I am hopeful it will improve my IBS-C). The flaxseed keeps me "moving," thank goodness, otherwise I have to use phosphosoda (what they use to clean you out for surgical procedures). I HIGHLY recommend flaxseed. DO NOT try rice bran, as it expanded in my colon and caused even more horrible constipation. Even though brown rice is better for you, white rice is lower in insoluble fiber, which is easier for me to tolerate. Are there any veggies, cooked or uncooked, and fruits that don't bother you? You could try vegetable supplement (capsule form) - I tried one and it did cause less constipation. I don't remember the name of the supplement, but it had 12 essential vitamins/extracts or something to that effect of vegetables for people who are missing them from their diets. I hope this information is helpful to you. Please be encouraged that there are others out there, like me, who understand what you are going through. IBS-C is MISERABLE. I've had episodes where I can't breathe because I'm so compacted. The trick is to get "cleaned out" when that happens and to find a regiment to stay consistent after being cleaned out. I've found that with 4 Tablespoons of flaxseed, and now with the acacia fiber, hopefully I'll be on the road to even more regularity. I wish you all the best.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Even I have to eat IF... new
      #164051 - 03/25/05 12:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and it is my WORST trigger by far. But I'm A so if I don't I get C. I'm just really, really careful...and I was lucky (with regard to this problem) in that when my symptoms were at their worst, they were primarily C so I could cut IF out then.

Good luck. This all tkes alot of time, but feeling better is so worth it.

Hey, another fibromite! new
      #164052 - 03/25/05 12:50 PM
Linz

Welcome to our group! Our numbers are increasing fast.

Any tips for managing Fibro? I'm ALWAYS on the look out for any new sources of info. How long ago were you diagnosed?

Re: Hey, another fibromite! new
      #164072 - 03/25/05 01:51 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Unfortunately I don't have any tips (wish I did!). My doc feels this is all related, and that getting the gut back in order will help the fatigue and muscle aches. I'm also very interested in the Body Ecology Diet (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) because of its focus on reestablishing health on a fundamental level. The exploration continues... thanks to all of you for the support and encouragement!

Chris

question about sugar?? new
      #164084 - 03/25/05 02:52 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hello i see you mentioned sugar! and ive been curious...is sugar an IBS[C] trigger? i am using organic natural cane sugar and i only use it in my tea/coffee but for certain teas, in a regular sized mug i was putting about 2 teaspoons. i assumed it would be fine but then started wondering as my C became worse. im still being patient with my diet and i know other things were to blame for the C in the first place, but im trying to cut corners anywhere i can! its making me frazzled i switched to agave sweetener [honey-substitute] but am still wondering for when my agave bottle runs out!! thanks!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: question about sugar?? new
      #164157 - 03/25/05 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sugar is one of the few things that is not an IBS problem in any way. Only thing is of course times of possibly eating sugar until you are sick to your stomach like after halloween, but none of us do that!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

thanks! new
      #164169 - 03/25/05 07:56 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

haha i hear yah!
good to know about the sugar!! im glad it wont be a problem! thanKs!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

I eat baked squash every day! new
      #164180 - 03/25/05 08:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sometimes twice a day! I wonder if this could be my problem. This is so confusing. Everytime I read something negative about any food, I get scared to eat it! Now, I don't know what to do about my squash. Oh, I am so bummed and confused. I hate all this.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

As I said... new
      #164236 - 03/26/05 08:10 AM
Linz

...sugar can be a problem for those of us with fibro (FMS) - it is NOT a problem for IBS.

Re: question about sugar?? new
      #164237 - 03/26/05 08:11 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

I know this won't be popular here, but my conscience tells me to post in anyways.

I really cringe when I hear people say "sugar isn't any problem at all". I have over seven years of study, both formal (medical school) and informal, of nutrition and diet. And about the same amount of time living with IBS and related health problems.

Sugar may not trigger a spasm or attack, but it creates a whole range of problems in the body that can certainly make someone with IBS feel worse. For one, sugar can create an "acid" condition (the colon should normally be alkaline) which can lead to constipation, gas, bloating and fatigue. Sugar creates ideal conditions for yeast, parasites and unhealthy bacteria to grow in the gut (as they all feed on sugar/simple carbs). If you've been following IBS research lately you'll be aware that many researchers are establishing a link between these organisms and IBS - they have found that many who've been diagnosed with IBS actually have parasites or bacterial overgrowth, and once these pathogens are treated the "IBS" clears up.

To learn more about sugar's effects on the body, visit this link: http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm.

I know most of us feel so restricted already by IBS. It's kind of nice to think, "oh, well at least sugar is no problem". Maybe it won't be for you. But for me, there's more to health than just getting my gut spasms under control. I actually want to create health on a fundamental level.

I know it can be so confusing with so many opinions and philosophies toward health represented here. My belief is that we all have to be our own experts, and that "expertise" can only come through personal experience and exploration. So check it out - do some research on the Net, try eating lots of sugar and see how you feel, try going without sugar and see how you feel... run some experiments.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing...

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 27042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review