All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
help me please!
      #162498 - 03/20/05 04:28 PM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi, I haven't been here for a while, but I'm back. Since I was last on I have found out that I am gluten sensitive. I now eat totally gluten free and am feeling so much better. Ihad mainly bloating, that is pretty much under control if I stick to a strict diet of rice, chicken, and not much more! At the moment though I am going through a boat of irritable bladder that my doc. now thinks I am suffering from. I know though, that it is connected to my ibs. I have been suffering for a few weeks and am having problems getting it under control. I am in awful pain with a persistant nagging down below. I find it worse when I get constipated. Can I take acadia? Is it gluten free. Up until now I haven't taken it, I have been good without it. Now though I am finding that I am getting into a cycle of d and c! So I have the bloating pretty much under control, but as I said the d and c are starting. This is new to me. Can anyone tell me if acadia is gluten free and any suggestions. Anyone else out there that their bladder goes nuts when your bowel does? Heather can you comment on this?

A very tired Anita

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help me please! new
      #162519 - 03/20/05 06:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Anita,

Sorry I can't answer your question about bladder issues as I can't say that's ever happened to me! But I just wanted to say welcome back from a fellow Ontarian!

And you're in luck! Acacia is gluten free ("has no gluten, sugar, salt, artificial sweeteners, citric acid, or yeast" as it says on the product page). An SFS (soluble fiber supplement) will definitely help with your C and D, and likely help you from swining too - and Acacia works for lots of folks on here. I don't know about it having any effects on your bladder but it's just natural fiber - like in oatmeal - so I'm sure it would not have any negative effects.

Acacia a good choice too if you don't mind having it shipped from the US as there aren't many good SFS's available here in Canada. I use it and I love it

Anita new
      #162526 - 03/20/05 06:52 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Anita, sorry you're not feeling too good. Apparently urinary infections can be common for people with IBS as candida albicans flourishes in people with low immunity. And as immunity is governed by the digestive system, irritable bowel = low immunity = candida, which can often = infections (ear, throat, urinary etc).

Have you tried cranberry juice? I used to have persistent urinary infections a few years ago and used to take a product that alkalined my urine to stop the burning.... erk can't remember the name of it. Will have a look tonight and let you know.

And would you mind me asking you a question about your gluten sensitivity? I've suspected I was gluten senstive for over a year, and have been gluten free (GF) on and off, with inconclusive results (still always bloated, BMs often erratic). I've had blood tests and an endoscopy/ colonoscopy, all showing I was negative to coeliac disease. So needless to say I'm confused as to why I can still be gluten sensitive.

Anyway, how did you find out you were gluten sensitive? Testing or process of elimination? And how long did it take after you went GF before your symptoms of bloating subsided? Its interesting that you're suffering from IBS A (alternating C and D) as that happens to me a lot lately, and never ever used to happen before I went GF. I'm suspecting more food intolerance in my case (possibly fructose or yeast) so am going to try eliminating foods with these components.

Have you considered goinging yeast free for a while, to see whether that clears up your urinary infections, and it may also clear up your C & D?

Hope you're feeling better soon

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#162571 - 03/21/05 04:57 AM
Neeta

Hi Laurel, where in Ont. are you? Thanks for the info on acadia, I will order some. My bladder is a bit better today, (I had a great b.m. this a.m.) If ever you get a nagging pain in the urether area, it's probably because you are getting constipated! Taken me years to figure that one out. I'm going to be on this web site for a while so will no doubt chat some more. Thanks for the welcome. Neeta

Re: Anita new
      #162573 - 03/21/05 05:10 AM
Neeta

Western Aussie eh, I've been to Perth 3 times. I used to travel at sea on an oil tanker (my hubby in merchant navy) and we came to Perth. It's beautiful. King's park was breathtaking! I'm in Ontario, Canada, much different. It's all white outside right now! My bladder thing is not an infection, what happens, I think, is the bowel gets distended and pushes on the bladder and then it starts to spasm and all hell breaks out down there! Anyway, this a.m. had a b.m. and the pain is not so bad, but I still feel delicate.

As for celiac, I had a test (tube down throat into stomach) and they found no evidence of damaged vileau which would suggest celiac disease. However, I had been so sick for such a long time I did what they told me not to before a test, and that was come off of gluten products. Needless to say 3 weeks later (test time) all was much better. The doc. says I am celiac simply because of my response to no gluten. I was mainly bloated, but tired, tired tired! and got all fat and squishy! I was always hungry, food did not satisfy me. Immediately off of the gluten, i.e. next day, I did not bloat. It is about 8 months now and I am losing weight, I am not hungry all the time and I have the energy to put in a full day complete with 5 hours swimming a week. Constant swimming that is an hour a time! So a huge recovery. I am on a very strict diet consisting of rice, chicken, potatoes, very little fruit and vegys (although I love them, Iused to be vegetarian!) I miss it so much, but when I waver I get what I have now. Mainly c. culminating in this damn bladder thing. I get d. every so often, just one episode where it just blasts out of me. I take asidopholus daily, like 50 billion of them (bio.k product) that helps me enormously! As for you, what I would say is don't worry about getting a test to say you are or are not celiac, that will drive you mad! Get off of gluten and stay off of it. Make sure you know where it is, basically it is everywhere! I am just sensitive to it, some people get so sick they even have to watch out for it in skin care products! Have your own foods that no one else touches, eg here we have two tubs of flax margarine. One for the family, one for me. I dont want my stuff contaminated by there knifes etc. If you want more info, ask me again, I am not sure how much you know. You would think rice crispies or puffed rice would be gluten free, but no, they add a sweet coating to them which contains gluten. Shop in health food shops, thats what I do. Anyway I hope I have answered all your questions, if not, ask again o.k. Lovely to hear from you, Neeta

Hi again Neeta & a rambling for other GF people. new
      #162802 - 03/21/05 06:51 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Neeta.

Oh.... haven't heard of anything like your bladder problem before. Hopefully you can get on top of the C and it will all settle down

Well I'm pretty cluey about gluten as I've been researching food intolerances for over a year now, and it is very depressing how many products contain gluten! But whats much much much more depressing is the constant bloat! So I'd do anything to get rid of it. I'm currently GF and DF (gluten and dairy free), am doing a detection diet (keeping a food and symptom journal) in a hope to pinpoint all the foods causing my IBS.

I have constant conflicting advice about gluten sensitivities - my family assures me it'll only be temporary, my doctor told me NOT to go GF as I don't have ceoliac, but my body screamed at me when I used to eat it, so at least I know who to listen to, and thats me

What I'm interested to know tho is, is there a tolerance level for gluten sensitivity? Just like theres a tolerance level for fructose malabsorption, yeast and lactose intolerance? I know I should just resolve myself to the fact that GF is for life, but if I could just have SMALL amounts of gluten, like one can have SMALL amounts of lactose, fructose and yeast, then life would be so much easier. I guess I'm still in the denial stage, because GF is so life constricting, and I'm only coming to terms with being told to go STRICTLY GF for life. Why is it in sooooooooo many foods!!? I know there are lots of substitutes but they are soooooo pricey. And eating out is a nightmare because you can never be sure gluten isn't hidden in foods (I know I know, ask ask ask before you buy, but it becomes so draining, and I get so paranoid that waitstaff don't know what they're talking about, and contamination risk is quite probable).

So I guess I'm wondering, can we get away with the odd bit of contamination every now and again if we don't have coeliac? I read that coeliac and gluten sensitivity is quite different - coelaic is when the protein attacks the lining of the intestine, whereas gluten sensitivity is simply when the body can't break down the gluten so produces excess gas.

So I suppose that eating gluten if you're only gluten sensitive isn't life threatening, like eating gluten when your coeliac is (eg increased risk of cancer)??

So many questions!! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

T xx

--------------------

Re: Hi again Neeta & a rambling for other GF people. new
      #162900 - 03/22/05 05:58 AM
Neeta

Ooops, replied to yours posted later, just found this one back to me. I don't know the answer to your question i.e. celiac as opposed to g.sensitive. All I know is I am treating myself as celiac. No doubt about it. I don't find it that expensive when you think of all the extra stuff you are not injesting. It certainly is a pain, but for me it got rid of the bloating. Interesting it hasn't you. It was immediate for me. Do you look at the celiac websites, there are support groups for celiac like this one. You might get more help from them. I don't know if you are taking acadia or something like that. I find, now I haven't tried acadia, think I might, but I find such products make me bloat. Also, are you taking any vitamins or supplements, I find I can't tolerate anything like that. Bloating is awful, I feel your pain! Were you the lady that was using soy, I find I can't tolerate soy products at all. I use rice, might help you, don't know. I hope I have answered your questions. To recap, I certainly take g.s. to be as serious as celiac. As you get older I am sure it will only worsen, so might as well get to it now. One last thought, are you eating "organic" I totally find that I have too. Now I have not been one in the past to live organic, but I eat organic as much as I can now and other than when i poison myself I feel better than I can ever remember. My energy has come back etc. Just a thought. Now you want to talk expense!!! Take care, Neeta

Neeta new
      #162904 - 03/22/05 06:08 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Gluten sensitive does NOT equal celiac!!! Celiac is an IBD where you have flattened villi in your digestive tract. It's physical and can be tested for. Just b/c you might be gs, doesn't mean at ALL that you have to have celiac!

I eat strictly GF new
      #162906 - 03/22/05 06:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

and still bloat too. Never went away. You are lucky not to have to deal with this irritating symptom. I was expecting the bloat to go away when eating GF, but no symptoms have improved except D. I know I must continue anyhow though as my bloodwork came back with high antibodies. I just don't understand why I am not experiencing any improvement by eating GF? Makes me wonder what the use is? Why not eat gluten if I am still going to be feeling awful?

I just traded D for C when changing to GF. Any insight, Neeta?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I eat strictly GF new
      #162926 - 03/22/05 07:02 AM
Neeta

Hi there, sorry to hear about your bloating, it's misery I know! I know you are eating gf are you also eating within the ibs guidelines? I am, and have too, Ihave to combine both. Do you take asidopholus, I use Bio K, it has like billions of live thingys that really help me. Certainly if I am c i take this and wham, that sorts things out. I take it every day now, my body just seems to need it. I drink the whole little jar of it, never do things in half me! Sometimes it gives me a bit of d. perhaps I should cut back on it. Anyway, that helps me. How long did you eat gf for. If you are celiac it takes up to a year for your body to heal. Remember my test came back neg. but eating gf took my symptoms away. Your antibodies showed problems did it, if so then you probably have a lot of damaged vilau, those things in your guts. It takes as I said up to a year for those to heal. Give your body time. Good luck, Neeta

Linz GS and Fibro new
      #163102 - 03/22/05 05:00 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Linz! Do you know much about the difference between coeliac and GS? All my tests came back negative for coeliac, BUT I am still gluten sensitive (at the moment!?). I'm wondering whether it could be temporary cos I'm so rundown at the moment? It was interesting that your friend with fibro was able to tolerate gluten again once she got better. I suffer from low immunity, fatigue (and constant back aches come to think of it), and its getting progressively worse..... I just thought I had low iron levels and was run down due to my food intolerances. I don't know anything about fibro..... how do you get it diagnosed?

--------------------

Neeta: acacia new
      #163126 - 03/22/05 06:27 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Neeta,

I don't take any SFS (soluble fibre supplements). Acacia make me reaaalllly bloated, it was AWFUL, and benefiber doesn't seem to do much, except make the bloat worse.

I used to take magnesium and digestive enzymes, but I figured they were only treating the symptoms not the cause, so I'm back to taking just probiotics and a daily multivitamin.

As for organic, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I live in the country, so fresh organic food is HORRENDOUSLY expensive. And the range is really small. And there's very little GF packaged food (flour etc) thats organic. But if after all my current efforts I can't get rid of the bloat I'll look into this avenue a bit closer.

Thanx for all your help

--------------------

I have been eating GF for 17 months now! new
      #163129 - 03/22/05 07:02 PM
Augie

That's longer than a year! Are you talking about those little liquid white bottles of acidopholus with green writing? If so, they have dairy in them! Unless you are drinking the soy ones, and soy can bloat horribly too! And these are majorly expensive!! Extremely expensive!

When you say to eat IBS safe, do you eat any millet or brown rice grains? They are GF, so I eat them now for help with C, hopefully, but not sure if the pain is worse.

I am trying to cut out citrucel to see if that helps.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Linz GS and Fibro new
      #163195 - 03/23/05 03:28 AM
Linz

Hmm,...difficult q's!

Well I know in coeliac that the villi in your GI tract are flattened abnormally. I guess with plain GS it's just a food intolerance (like mine for dairy BEFORE IBS) without the physical abnormalities.

Getting diagnosed with Fibro is just a matter of finding a doc who knows something about it! WHich is WAY easier said than done. The usual diagnostic is looking at your history and doing a tender point test. They look for 18 tender points on your bod...some people say you need to have 11 to have Fibro but this is NOT true (it was an inclusion test for a research study never intended to be the definitive diagnostic).

Low immunity is pretty typical as Fibro bods are so out of whack...I know Ruchie and I both tae a load of stuff to boost our immune systems (getting a cold can be PAINFUL). Fatigue is the classic one, especially with non-resorative sleep. Back aches yup...there are typically ALOT of trigger points and tender spots in the back so this is ofte the first one people notice. All-over aches and crippling pain are NOT neccessary btw. IBS is another classic symptom as are intolerences to all kinds of stuff. Tension headaches or migraine are another "classic".

Basically, just talk to your GP and see what they say. If they don't know much about it, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist (they tend to know the most as it was often confused with rheumatoid arthritis).

Good luck.

Re: Neeta: acacia new
      #163214 - 03/23/05 05:10 AM
Neeta

Hi Taylahami, is that your real name, anyhow, yep, I've had the same trouble with fibre supplements, that is why although acadia is touted as being wonderful, for me, I have reservations and am trying to cope withoutit. Which I do until I go and do something stupid. Then getting stable again reminds me to be more careful. I use the probiotic (I guess that is what it is) BioK, that really seems to help my bloat. Also, get this, now this shouldnt be as I am gluten sensitive, but a low carb beer (more like larger in England where I hail from) and some peanuts, now that cures me! Isn't that strange. I am sure the peanuts are not good for ibs, but the two of them together really put me right. That is if it is just bloating and not a full blown ibs attack. Try it sometime, see if that helps. I understand the organic thing. I guess I am lucky here in Ontario. We get so much stuff from the states and California, California is a huge organic producer, so it is easy for me to get it. Another thing I have found to really help me is Hemp dessert. It is like icecream but is not. It is not dairy. It is a heavenly icecream like product, I love the chocolate, that is high in Omega 3 and 6's has oodles of protein and seems to aid my digestion. Now it is made by a small industry here, but maybe down under there is such a product. If not, try hemp in general. It really seems to help me! I read you are taking a multivitamin. That might be the culprit. I cannot tolerate any such pills. Really hard on the system. Try cutting that out and see what happens. Good luck, neeta (real name Anita)

Re: I have been eating GF for 17 months now! new
      #163215 - 03/23/05 05:16 AM
Neeta

I use the bioK that is not dairy. I guess it is soy based but it works for me. Last night I was bloated (ate something different at lunch that decided to react) so I took a biok and it settled it right out. I don't eat any grains or brown rice. I find the brown rice too harsh for me, I really have to eat very gently. I mentioned in the answer to Tali... can't remember how to spell her name about hemp, have you tried that. I take a hemp icedessert (it is nondairy icecream like product) simply heavenly, that is high in omega 3 and 6 and other good stuff. It is called "cool hemp" and oh, firstly delicious and secondly really helps my digestion. Also I mentioned a low carb beer and peanuts. That is a sure bet for me (so long as I am not full blown attack) just bloating slightly. Now I know that doesn't follow celiac or ibs rules, but works for me! Strange eh. Good luck, Neeta

Celiac is an IBD! new
      #163217 - 03/23/05 05:21 AM
Linz

If you do not have damaged intestines and do not have the high levels of antibodies, you do NOT have celiac disease. This doesn't mean that you can't be gluten sensitive however.

And some of the antibody tests are unreliable

Quote:

Blood tests that are specific for celiac disease include endomysial antibodies, anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies, and anti-gliadin antibodies. In patients with celiac disease, anti-gliadin antibody is an antibody produced against gliadin in the diet and endomysial and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies are antibodies produced against the body's own tissues.

Endomysial antibodies and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies are highly reliable in diagnosing celiac disease. An individual with abnormally elevated endomysial and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies has a greater than 95% chance of having celiac disease. Anti-gliadin antibodies are less reliable and have a high false positive rate. Thus a person with an abnormally elevated anti-gliadin antibody level does not necessarily have celiac disease.

Re: Celiac is an IBD! new
      #163221 - 03/23/05 05:31 AM
Neeta

Hi Linz, I only ever had a endoscopy which showed no damage to the guts, I have not had the other usual tests. Mainly because I felt so much better not eating gluten, that was good enough for me. I don't care that I can't eat it. Just thankful that I have gone from a wreck of a person to one that is functioning quite well now (apart from when I am stupid). Example, I first posted cause my bladder was killing me (Its when my bowel plays up it pushes on the bladder and bobs your bloody uncle, right) anyway, I then read on one of these threads that icing sugar has gluten. Of course I knew that, had just forgotten. I had hosted a b.d. party on Friday, mad ethe cake, iced the damn thing, ate a piece and then Sat. afternoon got the pain! Well of course it was the icing sugar. It is now Weds. and I am just getting back to normal with the help of every drug I had in my cupboard! So, nope, I won't be eating gluten any time soon. What part of Eng. are you in. I am English now living in Canada. I lived lastly in Westmoors, near Bournemouth, and had time in Hereford. Inlaws live in Saffron Walden near Cambridge. See ya, Neeta

Weird! new
      #163233 - 03/23/05 05:47 AM
Linz

I grew up near Bournemouth and my inlaws live in Bishops Stortford, near Saffron Walden! I now live in Newbury, West Berkshire.

About the celiac/gs...I just wanted to point out that they are two different things. Just b/c you are gs, doesn't mean you have celiac...not that thats any consolation of course!

Your villi might be fine for now... new
      #163251 - 03/23/05 07:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

but is it possible at some later date they will get crshed if one keeps eating gluten? Does anyone know?

If a person has a sensativity to a fod but eats it...can this still dmage their bod in some way?

Thanks Linz and Neeta and all!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Only if you have actual celiac... new
      #163367 - 03/23/05 12:01 PM
Linz

...it's the inflammation that causes the damage to the villi. So if you don't have celiac (for which there is a reliable antibody test) you won;t get the villi damge.

Btw, it's only eating gluten when being celiac that causes the damage...if a celiac NEVER ever ate gluten, they would never get any damage.

Never heard of this hemp ice dessert new
      #163378 - 03/23/05 12:23 PM
Augie

Maybe it isn't available in the states? Where did you get it? Is it also soy based?

I think the soy bioK would bloat me, plus, as I said, very very expensive as maintaince acidolpholous.

You do no grains at all? Not even safe white rice or gluten free breads, quinoa? How do you get your fiber?

--------------------
~ Beth

Hemp is ... new
      #163379 - 03/23/05 12:29 PM
Linz

...the marijuana plant as far as I know. Hemp is often used in bath products...it makes a great body oil.

Re: Hemp is ... new
      #163383 - 03/23/05 12:43 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

It can be used to make fabrics as well. It isn't legal to be grown in the U.S., but you can still purchase some products.
Industrial hemp contains low levels of cannabinoids kind of like "decaf" marijuana.

#163390 - 03/23/05 01:01 PM
Augie

But it's an ice dessert Neeta eats. I doubt she is eating marajuana ice dessert! At least I hope not!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Weird! new
      #163485 - 03/23/05 05:52 PM
Neeta

Totally weird eh!! Bit of Canadianism for you. Hasn't Bournemouth changed. My father still lives there and man it is a dangerous place to be. Cars get smashed into all the time, just can't leave them on the street. What a shame. Neeta

Re: Never heard of this hemp ice dessert new
      #163486 - 03/23/05 05:57 PM
Neeta

I eat white rice, rice bread, bananas, turkey or chicken I can cope with bananas, carrots (cooked) zuccini and my beloved hemp ice dessert, which is made from HEMP! Nothing else. It is made by a small industry up here in igloo country (Ottawa). I don't know if anyone down there is making it, if not, START! I don't really know where my fibre comes from but I am not too bad re c. or d. only if I do something stupid. I eat rice cakes, rice puffs, rice milk, potatoes (after years on Aitkins, thank heavens!) I'm british and we love our "spuds". Maybe thats where the fibre comes from. Neeta (p.s I can't do soy, but bio k and me get along fine) I know its expensive but I can't cope without it when in a bad time. If all is well I can do without it.

#163488 - 03/23/05 06:00 PM
Neeta

You guys are making me laugh! Hemp is from another plant, not the marra... cant even spell it, plant! Honestly ladies!!! It is the same family though. You can get hemp oil for salads, hemp salad dressings, hemp hair products, hemp seeds (totally full of iron and taste great, add them to cereal etc.) and my beloved ice dessert, which I add I have run out of today, life is not so good! www.coolhemp.ca is their web site or .com, cant remember. Check it out and start drooling. Totally helps my digestion. Kisses, Neeta

Thank you... new
      #163491 - 03/23/05 06:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...for explaining that so nicely! Hemp and marijuana aren't the same thing, and that misconception bugs me. I swear by my Sun Dog (I think that's the brand) hemp lip balm, which is the best thing ever. And you're right - hemp seeds are delicious! I'm going to check out that site right now...

Ah, that's why I got confused! new
      #163575 - 03/24/05 02:45 AM
Linz

I know that when the Body Shop starting stocking hemp goods there was a furore in the media.

Thanx Linz new
      #163580 - 03/24/05 02:50 AM
Taylahmai

Linz, thank you so much for your info!! There are so many possibilities for why I feel so terrible, it becomes quite overwhelming! One day soon I'm determined I'll be on top of all of this, and know exactly what makes me tick!

Again thank you so much for your support and for the time you took to give me the info about fibro.

T xx

--------------------

S'ok sweetie! new
      #163583 - 03/24/05 02:56 AM
Linz

I've been given sooo much help on here that I love to reciprocate!

Let me know how you do re. fibro and such. It's a bummer to have but there are so many things you can do for it these days.

Re: Thank you... new
      #163810 - 03/24/05 02:33 PM
Neeta

Excellent, if you can get it ENJOY. It's sent directly from heaven!!! Neeta

#163814 - 03/24/05 02:43 PM
Neeta

Hi again, I have just received an email from the silly yaks site about a pill developed in Australia for celiac suffers if you want me to forward it to you, email me at rksteve@mgl.ca and I will send it to you. I don't know how to do it through this forum. It was a newspaper article in The Australian written March th. Let me know, Neeta

#164311 - 03/26/05 05:33 PM
Neeta

Hey there, been thinking about you and hope you had a good weekend. I couldn't send you that email message, it got sent back to me. Anyway the article about a new "pill" for celiac was written in The Australian on March 8th. Maybe you can find it. If not email me and I can forward it to you. Anyway, that's in the future. Hope you are doing o.k. I had a yucky day yesterday with d. I never get d. I had taken a few zelnorm over the past couple of days (it settled the pain down) but gave me d. I was just about to go out and all hell broke loose. Quite literally! My guts were then churning all day. We were travelling to my friends house as well! Glad that has settled. Told my friends your story about being young with ibs and gluten s. They all felt so bad for you. So there you go, you have an impact on people over half a world away! Hugs, Neeta

#164487 - 03/27/05 12:56 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Neeta,

I'm new to this website and just read your post. I have been following a Gluten-free diet as well to help with my IBS, and I have found it to be very helpful. I avoid dairy (I do eat eggs, though), refined sugars, most fats (canola oil and flaxseeds are my sources of fats), wheat/gluten, and foods that I know bother me (almonds and most nuts, spicy foods, and potatoes). I have horrible IBS-C and take four tablespoons of flaxseed a day and have just started taking Acacia within the past two days to stay regular. Acacia is gluten-free. I still experience awful bloating and constant pain, but avoiding all the foods I do, I am able to survive (although I need to gain weight since I've lost so much due to being so ill and being a stressed-out college student). My heart goes out to you - when your symptoms get really bad, try eating lots of rice (cream of rice cereal, rice cakes, etc.) and using ThermaCare Heatwraps for your abdomen. Those help a lot! I hope you feel better soon.

Alisa new
      #164500 - 03/27/05 02:31 PM
Augie

How did you determine that potato was a problem for you? Did you do any type of elimination diet?

Do you stick to white cream of rice and white cooked rice only? Or do you do brown? I have a hard time finding cream of rice that is white, except for nabisco or baby food rice. So I eat Lundbergs creamy brown rice cereal which is a soft powder rice and also provides some fiber, which the white cream of rice doesn't.

Just a thought, but that's a lot of flax seed to take in a day. Maybe that is contributing to some of your pain. It's a lot of insoluble fiber and has a rougher texture even when ground.

Have you tried magnesium supplements for your C? That might help also.

How's the Acacia going?

Have you considered a probiotic or a digestive enzyme? The digestive enzyme might help you absorb more nutrients and gain a little weight back.

--------------------
~ Beth

#164537 - 03/27/05 06:39 PM
Neeta

Hi Alicia, thanks for your post. I am feeling a lot better today. I drank gallons of water and get this, a bittersweet day, I did not drink my low carb beer today!!! I have been having lots of bladder pain caused from the ibs and thought the only thing it can be now is the beer! Horrors of blood horror (I am English afterall). Anyway, thought I had better start doing all that Heather tells us, so decided not to drink it this evening. I don't have the pain! So, good that I don't have the pain, but sad that now no beer! Oh sorrow in the extreme. I love almonds and eat lots of them, also potatoes are my staple along with rice. Try hemp seeds if you think the flax might be causing aproblem! I have painted for about 10 hours today so I am off to my bed! Lovely chatting, Neeta

Re: Alisa-bump above post for Alisa-nt new
      #164932 - 03/29/05 08:58 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#165084 - 03/29/05 05:22 PM
Taylahmai

Hi Anita! Thank you for thinking of me, that is so sweet Camping was great fun, but the whole food thing was pretty stressful, I can only handle my restrictive diet when my symptoms are under control.

But nevertheless we all had a ball and I'm now back and onto my strict diet... again!

I got your email about the coeliac pill, I'd be interested to read more about it. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to be prescribed it as my tests were all negative.

BTW your low carb beer has me stumped!! You do know that it has gluten in it?? Beer is my biggest nightmare, I'll never ever touch the stuff again!

Hope you're well

Luv Chrissy xx

--------------------

#165176 - 03/30/05 05:35 AM
Neeta

I know I don't understand the beer thing either. It is low carb so maybe all the gluten has been taken out. However, now that I am having problems with the bladder/urether I have stopped my beer. I want to see if that helps. Having said that I went to my doc. yesterday and told him I think I have a low grade infection in the urether. I honestly do, he had suggested irritable bladder, but I don't think it is that. I am starting to feel better already and I have only had two doses of the anitbiotic. Anyway, off the beer for a while because 1) it's a good opportunity to come off and 2) interested to see if my tummy gets even better without it. I will keep you posted. I resent that article because I am not sure if you got it, by regular email. Kisses, Neeta

Re: Alisa new
      #166015 - 03/31/05 09:56 PM
Alisa

Hi Beth,

Yes, I did try eliminating potato since it was causing increased bloating and pain each time I ate something with potato in it, or just plain potato. The rice cereal I eat is white rice, I think, but the ingredients only say "granulated rice." I eat both brown and white rice, but I had a bad experience with rice bran plugging up my colon by expanding and causing more C, so I've been having more white rice lately. The flaxseed has improved my C, but I think stress causes my intestines to cramp, causing more C. It's a vicious cycle. I have tried magnesium and digestive enzymes to no avail, but I'm on probiotics (I'm on soil organisms now and marshmallow root, and I also take CleanseMore by RenewLife), and these seem to help a little. I just don't understand my colon. It's not working normally, I know that! I just don't know how to fix it. I stopped the Acacia because it caused more gas, bloating, and pain. I can't afford to add more pain to what I already have going! I was only taking 1/2 tsp twice a day for three days, and by the third day, I wasn't doing well at all. So, the saga continues...How are you doing?

#166234 - 04/01/05 02:23 PM
Augie

Hi Alisa,
How did you pinpoint potatoes? I hurt all the time, so find it quite difficult to identify a food. I don't notice any one food as causing more problems because I hurt all the time! I wish I knew which foods were making it worse, but I don't seem to be able to do that, even with a food diary.

If your rice cereal is Nabisco (orange box) it is white rice, especially if it has 0 grams fiber listed. I eat Lundbergs Creamy Brown Rice Cereal. It is powdery consistancy so it is less harsh I think, plus it gives me 2.25 grams of fiber. Do you find that higher fiber foods help with constipation? I think it would, as white rice seems more constipating. Nicer on the tummy, though. So, how do you choose between the two? I find I handle the powdery brown rice cereal better than cooked brown rice.

Never though about rice bran doing that to me! I have some brown rice pasta made with rice bran. I am not sure if that would be so safe now. I get so confused with all this. I would think rice bran would help with the constipation (since it has more fiber) rather than clog me up.

Is the soil organism Primal Defense? I tried that one for a while, but didn't notice a difference. It was very expensive too. CleanseMore sounds a bit iffy to me. Anything that says Cleanse scares me off. Has your doctor told you this was safe? I might try it if it is. I'll try anything at this point. Never heard of Marshmallow root. What is that suppose to help with? Is it a powder?

I wonder if you gave up on the Acacia too soon. Hmm, I know it's hard to take something when you think it is causing you more problems. But do you think your body just might need to get used to it? Or start out on a lower dose. I know most start at only 1/4 tsp one or twice a day. I haven't tried Acacia yet. I have tried about 5 other SFS but have not had luck with any of them. Either did nothing, or caused more pain and gas.

Oh, what is the answer for us??? Did your dad ever hear about the new drug? He posted that he was going to try and find out when it might be available for IBS. I wish I could get my hands on some. I hope it does get approved soon and, more importantly, that it works for me. I had high hopes for Zelnorm, and that turned out to be a bust for me.

Keep posting, okay. It's nice to not feel so alone and that I am not the only one living with such severe, chronic pain (although I wish so many of us were'nt hurting. But, it gives me strength to go on when I know that others are going on with their live in spite of all this pain and horribe, nasty bowel problems. I wish our bowels would just behave themselves.

--------------------
~ Beth

#166242 - 04/01/05 03:02 PM
Alisa

Hi Beth,

OF COURSE I will keep posting!! Knowing you are going through the same thing I am helps me as well. The rice cereal I eat is white rice since it says 0 grams of fiber on the label. I've found that white rice is easier for me to digest recently, so I've stuck to it. It's logical that bran would increase bowel function, but I've found flaxseed to be the best. I've been told CleanseMore is safe, and the probiotics are Primal Defense. Marshmallow root is supposed to lubricate the intestine to make BMs move easier. I've tried Zelnorm and all SFS to no avail, too. I can tell if a food bothers me if I eat it and my tummy expands and I feel my pain increase from the level it was before I ate. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I usually can tell when I'm upset by some kind of food. I think rice cereal is actually harder for me to digest sometimes because it is so filling and rich. It depends on the day. If I'm having a 'less bloating' day, which isn't very often, rice cereal is perfectly fine. If I'm having a horrible bloating day, I can't eat very much at a time and have to stick with foods that are loaded with calories (to gain weight) and aren't filling (like raisins). It's so very annoying.

My Dad contacted UNC about Naltrexone, and there's a doctor at UNC who's known as the Miracle Worker for IBS patients. Apparently, it's possible for doctors to give Naltrexone prescriptions even though it's off-label right now. I'll be contacting this doctor by email tonight, so I'll keep you updated as to when I hear back from him and if Naltrexone will be available! I'm ready for a miracle!

I wish our bowels would behave, too. It's so hard to be bothered by food since we need it to live! I've gained a little weight since last week, which is WONDERFUL! I'm so happy about that, but my bowels are still having trouble. I think they're cramping due to stress. I'm going to try to fix that by relaxing this weekend as much as possible (I have a crazy schedule, though, so we'll see if that's an option). I'm sending you my "good day" vibes! Thanks for your support and for your posts! They make me feel less alone.

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review