All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Hi again Neeta & a rambling for other GF people. new
      #165176 - 03/30/05 05:35 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I know I don't understand the beer thing either. It is low carb so maybe all the gluten has been taken out. However, now that I am having problems with the bladder/urether I have stopped my beer. I want to see if that helps. Having said that I went to my doc. yesterday and told him I think I have a low grade infection in the urether. I honestly do, he had suggested irritable bladder, but I don't think it is that. I am starting to feel better already and I have only had two doses of the anitbiotic. Anyway, off the beer for a while because 1) it's a good opportunity to come off and 2) interested to see if my tummy gets even better without it. I will keep you posted. I resent that article because I am not sure if you got it, by regular email. Kisses, Neeta

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alisa new
      #166015 - 03/31/05 09:56 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Beth,

Yes, I did try eliminating potato since it was causing increased bloating and pain each time I ate something with potato in it, or just plain potato. The rice cereal I eat is white rice, I think, but the ingredients only say "granulated rice." I eat both brown and white rice, but I had a bad experience with rice bran plugging up my colon by expanding and causing more C, so I've been having more white rice lately. The flaxseed has improved my C, but I think stress causes my intestines to cramp, causing more C. It's a vicious cycle. I have tried magnesium and digestive enzymes to no avail, but I'm on probiotics (I'm on soil organisms now and marshmallow root, and I also take CleanseMore by RenewLife), and these seem to help a little. I just don't understand my colon. It's not working normally, I know that! I just don't know how to fix it. I stopped the Acacia because it caused more gas, bloating, and pain. I can't afford to add more pain to what I already have going! I was only taking 1/2 tsp twice a day for three days, and by the third day, I wasn't doing well at all. So, the saga continues...How are you doing?

#166234 - 04/01/05 02:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Hi Alisa,
How did you pinpoint potatoes? I hurt all the time, so find it quite difficult to identify a food. I don't notice any one food as causing more problems because I hurt all the time! I wish I knew which foods were making it worse, but I don't seem to be able to do that, even with a food diary.

If your rice cereal is Nabisco (orange box) it is white rice, especially if it has 0 grams fiber listed. I eat Lundbergs Creamy Brown Rice Cereal. It is powdery consistancy so it is less harsh I think, plus it gives me 2.25 grams of fiber. Do you find that higher fiber foods help with constipation? I think it would, as white rice seems more constipating. Nicer on the tummy, though. So, how do you choose between the two? I find I handle the powdery brown rice cereal better than cooked brown rice.

Never though about rice bran doing that to me! I have some brown rice pasta made with rice bran. I am not sure if that would be so safe now. I get so confused with all this. I would think rice bran would help with the constipation (since it has more fiber) rather than clog me up.

Is the soil organism Primal Defense? I tried that one for a while, but didn't notice a difference. It was very expensive too. CleanseMore sounds a bit iffy to me. Anything that says Cleanse scares me off. Has your doctor told you this was safe? I might try it if it is. I'll try anything at this point. Never heard of Marshmallow root. What is that suppose to help with? Is it a powder?

I wonder if you gave up on the Acacia too soon. Hmm, I know it's hard to take something when you think it is causing you more problems. But do you think your body just might need to get used to it? Or start out on a lower dose. I know most start at only 1/4 tsp one or twice a day. I haven't tried Acacia yet. I have tried about 5 other SFS but have not had luck with any of them. Either did nothing, or caused more pain and gas.

Oh, what is the answer for us??? Did your dad ever hear about the new drug? He posted that he was going to try and find out when it might be available for IBS. I wish I could get my hands on some. I hope it does get approved soon and, more importantly, that it works for me. I had high hopes for Zelnorm, and that turned out to be a bust for me.

Keep posting, okay. It's nice to not feel so alone and that I am not the only one living with such severe, chronic pain (although I wish so many of us were'nt hurting. But, it gives me strength to go on when I know that others are going on with their live in spite of all this pain and horribe, nasty bowel problems. I wish our bowels would just behave themselves.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#166242 - 04/01/05 03:02 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

Hi Beth,

OF COURSE I will keep posting!! Knowing you are going through the same thing I am helps me as well. The rice cereal I eat is white rice since it says 0 grams of fiber on the label. I've found that white rice is easier for me to digest recently, so I've stuck to it. It's logical that bran would increase bowel function, but I've found flaxseed to be the best. I've been told CleanseMore is safe, and the probiotics are Primal Defense. Marshmallow root is supposed to lubricate the intestine to make BMs move easier. I've tried Zelnorm and all SFS to no avail, too. I can tell if a food bothers me if I eat it and my tummy expands and I feel my pain increase from the level it was before I ate. It's hard to tell sometimes, but I usually can tell when I'm upset by some kind of food. I think rice cereal is actually harder for me to digest sometimes because it is so filling and rich. It depends on the day. If I'm having a 'less bloating' day, which isn't very often, rice cereal is perfectly fine. If I'm having a horrible bloating day, I can't eat very much at a time and have to stick with foods that are loaded with calories (to gain weight) and aren't filling (like raisins). It's so very annoying.

My Dad contacted UNC about Naltrexone, and there's a doctor at UNC who's known as the Miracle Worker for IBS patients. Apparently, it's possible for doctors to give Naltrexone prescriptions even though it's off-label right now. I'll be contacting this doctor by email tonight, so I'll keep you updated as to when I hear back from him and if Naltrexone will be available! I'm ready for a miracle!

I wish our bowels would behave, too. It's so hard to be bothered by food since we need it to live! I've gained a little weight since last week, which is WONDERFUL! I'm so happy about that, but my bowels are still having trouble. I think they're cramping due to stress. I'm going to try to fix that by relaxing this weekend as much as possible (I have a crazy schedule, though, so we'll see if that's an option). I'm sending you my "good day" vibes! Thanks for your support and for your posts! They make me feel less alone.

-Alisa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review