All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Linz GS and Fibro new
      #163102 - 03/22/05 05:00 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Linz! Do you know much about the difference between coeliac and GS? All my tests came back negative for coeliac, BUT I am still gluten sensitive (at the moment!?). I'm wondering whether it could be temporary cos I'm so rundown at the moment? It was interesting that your friend with fibro was able to tolerate gluten again once she got better. I suffer from low immunity, fatigue (and constant back aches come to think of it), and its getting progressively worse..... I just thought I had low iron levels and was run down due to my food intolerances. I don't know anything about fibro..... how do you get it diagnosed?

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Neeta: acacia new
      #163126 - 03/22/05 06:27 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Neeta,

I don't take any SFS (soluble fibre supplements). Acacia make me reaaalllly bloated, it was AWFUL, and benefiber doesn't seem to do much, except make the bloat worse.

I used to take magnesium and digestive enzymes, but I figured they were only treating the symptoms not the cause, so I'm back to taking just probiotics and a daily multivitamin.

As for organic, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I live in the country, so fresh organic food is HORRENDOUSLY expensive. And the range is really small. And there's very little GF packaged food (flour etc) thats organic. But if after all my current efforts I can't get rid of the bloat I'll look into this avenue a bit closer.

Thanx for all your help

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

I have been eating GF for 17 months now! new
      #163129 - 03/22/05 07:02 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

That's longer than a year! Are you talking about those little liquid white bottles of acidopholus with green writing? If so, they have dairy in them! Unless you are drinking the soy ones, and soy can bloat horribly too! And these are majorly expensive!! Extremely expensive!

When you say to eat IBS safe, do you eat any millet or brown rice grains? They are GF, so I eat them now for help with C, hopefully, but not sure if the pain is worse.

I am trying to cut out citrucel to see if that helps.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Linz GS and Fibro new
      #163195 - 03/23/05 03:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmm,...difficult q's!

Well I know in coeliac that the villi in your GI tract are flattened abnormally. I guess with plain GS it's just a food intolerance (like mine for dairy BEFORE IBS) without the physical abnormalities.

Getting diagnosed with Fibro is just a matter of finding a doc who knows something about it! WHich is WAY easier said than done. The usual diagnostic is looking at your history and doing a tender point test. They look for 18 tender points on your bod...some people say you need to have 11 to have Fibro but this is NOT true (it was an inclusion test for a research study never intended to be the definitive diagnostic).

Low immunity is pretty typical as Fibro bods are so out of whack...I know Ruchie and I both tae a load of stuff to boost our immune systems (getting a cold can be PAINFUL). Fatigue is the classic one, especially with non-resorative sleep. Back aches yup...there are typically ALOT of trigger points and tender spots in the back so this is ofte the first one people notice. All-over aches and crippling pain are NOT neccessary btw. IBS is another classic symptom as are intolerences to all kinds of stuff. Tension headaches or migraine are another "classic".

Basically, just talk to your GP and see what they say. If they don't know much about it, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist (they tend to know the most as it was often confused with rheumatoid arthritis).

Good luck.

Re: Neeta: acacia new
      #163214 - 03/23/05 05:10 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Taylahami, is that your real name, anyhow, yep, I've had the same trouble with fibre supplements, that is why although acadia is touted as being wonderful, for me, I have reservations and am trying to cope withoutit. Which I do until I go and do something stupid. Then getting stable again reminds me to be more careful. I use the probiotic (I guess that is what it is) BioK, that really seems to help my bloat. Also, get this, now this shouldnt be as I am gluten sensitive, but a low carb beer (more like larger in England where I hail from) and some peanuts, now that cures me! Isn't that strange. I am sure the peanuts are not good for ibs, but the two of them together really put me right. That is if it is just bloating and not a full blown ibs attack. Try it sometime, see if that helps. I understand the organic thing. I guess I am lucky here in Ontario. We get so much stuff from the states and California, California is a huge organic producer, so it is easy for me to get it. Another thing I have found to really help me is Hemp dessert. It is like icecream but is not. It is not dairy. It is a heavenly icecream like product, I love the chocolate, that is high in Omega 3 and 6's has oodles of protein and seems to aid my digestion. Now it is made by a small industry here, but maybe down under there is such a product. If not, try hemp in general. It really seems to help me! I read you are taking a multivitamin. That might be the culprit. I cannot tolerate any such pills. Really hard on the system. Try cutting that out and see what happens. Good luck, neeta (real name Anita)

Re: I have been eating GF for 17 months now! new
      #163215 - 03/23/05 05:16 AM
Neeta

I use the bioK that is not dairy. I guess it is soy based but it works for me. Last night I was bloated (ate something different at lunch that decided to react) so I took a biok and it settled it right out. I don't eat any grains or brown rice. I find the brown rice too harsh for me, I really have to eat very gently. I mentioned in the answer to Tali... can't remember how to spell her name about hemp, have you tried that. I take a hemp icedessert (it is nondairy icecream like product) simply heavenly, that is high in omega 3 and 6 and other good stuff. It is called "cool hemp" and oh, firstly delicious and secondly really helps my digestion. Also I mentioned a low carb beer and peanuts. That is a sure bet for me (so long as I am not full blown attack) just bloating slightly. Now I know that doesn't follow celiac or ibs rules, but works for me! Strange eh. Good luck, Neeta

Celiac is an IBD! new
      #163217 - 03/23/05 05:21 AM
Linz

If you do not have damaged intestines and do not have the high levels of antibodies, you do NOT have celiac disease. This doesn't mean that you can't be gluten sensitive however.

And some of the antibody tests are unreliable

Quote:

Blood tests that are specific for celiac disease include endomysial antibodies, anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies, and anti-gliadin antibodies. In patients with celiac disease, anti-gliadin antibody is an antibody produced against gliadin in the diet and endomysial and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies are antibodies produced against the body's own tissues.

Endomysial antibodies and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies are highly reliable in diagnosing celiac disease. An individual with abnormally elevated endomysial and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies has a greater than 95% chance of having celiac disease. Anti-gliadin antibodies are less reliable and have a high false positive rate. Thus a person with an abnormally elevated anti-gliadin antibody level does not necessarily have celiac disease.

Re: Celiac is an IBD! new
      #163221 - 03/23/05 05:31 AM
Neeta

Hi Linz, I only ever had a endoscopy which showed no damage to the guts, I have not had the other usual tests. Mainly because I felt so much better not eating gluten, that was good enough for me. I don't care that I can't eat it. Just thankful that I have gone from a wreck of a person to one that is functioning quite well now (apart from when I am stupid). Example, I first posted cause my bladder was killing me (Its when my bowel plays up it pushes on the bladder and bobs your bloody uncle, right) anyway, I then read on one of these threads that icing sugar has gluten. Of course I knew that, had just forgotten. I had hosted a b.d. party on Friday, mad ethe cake, iced the damn thing, ate a piece and then Sat. afternoon got the pain! Well of course it was the icing sugar. It is now Weds. and I am just getting back to normal with the help of every drug I had in my cupboard! So, nope, I won't be eating gluten any time soon. What part of Eng. are you in. I am English now living in Canada. I lived lastly in Westmoors, near Bournemouth, and had time in Hereford. Inlaws live in Saffron Walden near Cambridge. See ya, Neeta

Weird! new
      #163233 - 03/23/05 05:47 AM
Linz

I grew up near Bournemouth and my inlaws live in Bishops Stortford, near Saffron Walden! I now live in Newbury, West Berkshire.

About the celiac/gs...I just wanted to point out that they are two different things. Just b/c you are gs, doesn't mean you have celiac...not that thats any consolation of course!

Your villi might be fine for now... new
      #163251 - 03/23/05 07:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

but is it possible at some later date they will get crshed if one keeps eating gluten? Does anyone know?

If a person has a sensativity to a fod but eats it...can this still dmage their bod in some way?

Thanks Linz and Neeta and all!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review