All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Comfort foods and getting away with cheating?
      #162224 - 03/19/05 12:27 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Two silly questions:

1) I was wondering what are some comfort foods my fellow IBSers enjoy? For example, after work I like to have a couple of scoops of French Vanilla Soy Dream mixed with a handful of chocolate Teddy Grahams.

2) Are there any trigger foods that AREN'T necessarily a trigger for you? For some reason, I'm able to tolerate eating a small order of fast food fries. I don't do it often, but I sure do love my French fries! I felt so giddy (and even a little guilty) when I learned that I can still enjoy one of my old favorites.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Comfort foods and getting away with cheating? new
      #162234 - 03/19/05 01:08 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fat is one of the triggers I can also push the limits with. For me, I can get fish'n'chip shops chips (which are chunky), but I still can't eat McDonalds fries (which are skinny and so have a higher percentage of fat).

Just be especially careful until you're stable as you can set yourself back if you overdo it.

Q about avocados new
      #162306 - 03/19/05 08:04 PM
lalala

I definitely do not want to overdo it...Especially since I've been doing so well on this diet. But I'm just happy that I can have a few extra-tasty fries once in a while.

I've read a few of your posts where you mention eating avocados. I love avocados, but was staying away from anything high in fat while I was being treated for gastroenteritis. That was last year; I'm doing better now, just trying to put the weight back on. So, tonight I ate a little more than a tablespoon of avocado. Delicious! I was wondering how much you are able to tolerate eating?

#162311 - 03/19/05 08:43 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't think I really have comfort foods... I have specific cravings depending on how I'm feeling. When I'm hormonal, I definitely want chocolate, and usually go with an ADB or some chocolate-applesauce bread. Most of the time, though, I tend to just want potatoes. LOL!

As for triggers... even 2 or 3 fries would send me running for the bathroom, so you're lucky... but I have to admit that I have no problems at all drinking soda. I'm not sensitive to HFCS. I still mostly avoid drinking it, though - first because I don't want to push my luck, and second because I really don't need the extra calories!

#162313 - 03/19/05 09:01 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

LOL! I cravey potatoes ALL THE TIME! Which is much better than craving cheese - one of the hardest things for me to give up, I craved it all the time, but not so much any more really.

To be honest I really don't cheat... Fries and ice cream? I'd be gone, running off to the bathroom, see ya... but that's great that you can tolerate them.

I actually don't really feel the need to cheat so that's what keeps me on track! Most of the time when I'm going wonky with my stomach it's because I've eaten too much at one sitting, or neglected to take my Acacia, or because of stress. Trigger foods just don't make appearances in my house any more so that helps!

Heh, that probably wasn't a very helpful response to your question was it Maria? sorry!

#162319 - 03/19/05 09:08 PM
lalala

I can't drink anything carbonated or high in HFCS. I miss my 7-Up! But this message board is really helping me not crave certain trigger foods by offering even better alternatives. Until I came here, I didn't know about Luna bars--and now I'm addicted!

#162322 - 03/19/05 09:12 PM
lalala

Your response was great! I like to hear how you all are handling the diet and temptations. And it's inspiring to hear that you don't cheat at all. Bravo!

I wish it was real ice cream! It's really a "soy frozen dessert"--so no lactose, no milk protein. Actually, I haven't had dairy in about ten years, so I don't crave it anymore. But the real-deal ice cream comes in more flavors than the Soy Dream desserts.

Re: Q about avocados new
      #162352 - 03/20/05 02:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

B/c I have a higher tolerance to fat levels than some people I am fine with any amount of avocado...as long as i have some SF as well. They are only high in fat for a vegetable! Compared to fries they're low in fat.

#162367 - 03/20/05 05:43 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

What's an ABD?

--------------------

#162369 - 03/20/05 05:45 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

I, too, like the Luna bars. But I have stayed away from them because I thought they were too high in fat. Does anyone know what is an acceptable level of fat grams for the Luna and Pria bars?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12801

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review