All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Immodium (was I need help.) new
      #162374 - 03/20/05 06:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had that reaction to the imodium when I take too much of it. The key is to take the smallest effective dose, which is often a lot less than what the package calls a "dose".

When I was taking it for maintenance purposes, I was literally taking half a tablet - 1/4 dose - every day. Now that I'm only taking it as needed (and not needing it more than a couple times a month, thankfully), I take a full tablet (1/2 dose). It's effective, and I've had none of the binding-up problems with it. (And I'm an A, by the way, so I'm almost just as prone to constipation as I am diarrhea... so if a low dose doesn't bother me, that's saying something. LOL!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Immodium (was I need help.) new
      #162427 - 03/20/05 12:00 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Thank you for the tip!

--------------------

Yeah...what that nurse told you... new
      #162459 - 03/20/05 02:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...was really BAD advice for anyone with IBS. TAlk about how to get into a major A cycle!!!!

As Casey said, just take less to start with. The instructions on the box have very little relevance to IBS-ers.

That's basically what I eat... new
      #162463 - 03/20/05 02:34 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...except mine gets nuked for 2mins. But I saw in the HFS that what I eat is pretty much identical to the finely ground oatmeal they had.

Re: Aha! new
      #162518 - 03/20/05 06:01 PM
Arben

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Tennessee

I did not eat any Splenda today nor did I drink Diet Rite, but I still had 4 or 5 BM's. Grrrrrrrrr. And those oatmeal cookies seem to be completely innocent. Check 'em out.
Back To Nature
I guess it's time to try the immodium.

Edited by Arben (03/20/05 06:05 PM)

#162525 - 03/20/05 06:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

The ingredients are good on your cookies but they're about 36% fat each - this diet recommends no more than 20% PER MEAL. So just make sure you're NOT eating them as a snack on their own, only after a safe, low-fat meal and then only one or two, ok?

And give it time - good job on giving up the soda and splenda. Stick to it, your body needs time to adjust and it *will* take a while to get stabilized - it's not going to happen in a day, unfortunately Hang in there - we're rooting for you!

Re: I need help. new
      #162541 - 03/20/05 08:29 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

I still say substitute graham crackers for the cookies. Not much difference in taste. And no Splenda or nutraswet at all. Carbonation will give you gas. I also drink Vitamin Water, which is made by the same people as Smart Water. Here's the link:

www.drinkbetterwater.com

Did you consider what I said about the Psyllium fiber?? Check in with us tomorrow and let us know how you're doing. I'm not doing so great today myself. We'll all just have to hang in there together.

--------------------

#162546 - 03/20/05 09:05 PM
annec

Reged: 03/20/05

I have a thought on the oatmeal cookies. I eat cooked oatmal every morning and find it is good to me and my IBS. Oatmeal cookies, made with "raw" oatmeal, on the other hand give me big trouble. Bacause the grain isn"t cooked, and therefore has insoluble fiber? Not sure, but seems plausible?

Good luck,
Anne

#162575 - 03/21/05 05:23 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I immediately wonder if you are celiac? d is certainly a main symptom of celiac. Try going gluten free for a while. You will know quite soon if you are gluten sensitive if you do. Go to your health food shop and get some rice bread. You will need to toast it! Substitute that for your normal bread. Make sure you eat nothing with gluten in. To start I would suggest the bread substitution thing, also soy products I find too harsh, try switching to rice milks, rice products. Much gentler on the old system. Get rice cakes, rice cereals (all from health food shops) gluten is everywhere in products, you have to be careful. I have suggered with ibs forever! and couldn't get better even on Heather's diet (which I stil follow though, just modified for no gluten), once I went gluten free recovered almost overnight from the severe bloating that I was getting. I used to eat a tuna sandwich (fine for ibs) but couldn't understand why it made me bloat. Now I can eat a tuna sandwich with toasted rice bread and all is fine! So, maybe give it a try. Celiac is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions out there. Good news though, I didn't really need any doc. to diagnose it, just stopped eating it and got better. Good luck, Neeta

#162587 - 03/21/05 06:43 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

Plus you dont have to be a coeliac to suffer from eating wheat. I've been catagorically told im not one, after an endoscopy (apperently coeliacs lack villi on the entrance to the small intestine from the stomach, which i have), but i know that things with wheat in trigger an attack.

Plus there are things that you would never have thought wheat was in that actually does contain it. Normal chicken is a big no-no for me (as i guess they are wheat fed), but corn fed chicken is absolutely fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2961 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3220

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review