All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
desperately seeking a solution!
      #161293 - 03/16/05 07:02 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

does anyone else have the problem of over-eating triggers?? i do--and i cant seem to break the cycle i know the pains that will follow and how horrible ill feel and look but i still never pass up a food that will turn into a trigger for me. its like i know i cant eat it, so that makes me want it even more. does anyone have any tips or advice for me on ways to control or eliminate this bad habit? im really scared it will eventually develop into diverticulitis but am more scared about getting thru my day. sometimes meals are so feared b/c i feel i have no way to control the after-pains, b/c i know ill give in and eat my trigger please someone help!! my tummy hurts

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aversion Therapy! new
      #161297 - 03/16/05 07:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If I even look at a trigger food, I can feel the pain it will cause me! No food is worth the pain I will feel from eating it.

I wouldn't even enjoy eating the food because I would be thinking about the pain I would have to deal with afterwards.

NO FOOD tastes as good as having less pain. Write that 100 times!!

GL

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Aversion Therapy! *DELETED* new
      #161299 - 03/16/05 07:26 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Great mind think alike Shelby! new
      #161301 - 03/16/05 07:29 PM
Augie

We must have been posting at the same time!

Did you see my reply to you on actonel for osteo in the Living Room?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Aversion Therapy! new
      #161461 - 03/17/05 10:29 AM
little bear

thanks augie and shelby jean for your replies! im gonna try writing that down now! its just really hard~it always feels like my triggers are constantly changing! i guess indulging is just my bodys way of trying to hold on for as long as it can but it really is hurting. have either of you ever been so C that your arm and leg muscles hurt and ache? today is a better morning, like every morning, its a start-over. thanks alot again you guys and ill keep you posted!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

You're welcome, Ashley new
      #161533 - 03/17/05 12:30 PM
Augie

I see you are from Chicago area, as am I. Could you recommend a good GI doctor or a general practioner in the area? I live in South Suburbs.

Good luck with your diet. It is hard, but the food really isn't worth the pain. Would you even enjoy it knowing the whole time you are eating it that you will be in pain afterwards? Not me! GL again.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Aversion Therapy! *DELETED* new
      #161634 - 03/17/05 04:23 PM
Jeano

Post deleted by Jeano

?? about acacia.. new
      #161978 - 03/18/05 03:40 PM
little bear

i used to take citricel too~for a long time but never found it a good solution for me meh--i ordered the acacia and it came today. im gonna try it next week after i go food shopping so it can work together with my food that i buy, and hopefully my body will react nicely. what happened when you tried increasing acacia? did you get an overall good effect when you used it without increasing the amount? im nervous about trying it~i dont want to be any more C then i already am!!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: You're welcome, Ashley new
      #161980 - 03/18/05 03:44 PM
little bear

i AM in chicago~you too?? cool! im sorry to say that i dont know a good doctor~im not even currently seeing one, just my gynacologist every 6 months or so. i would like to find one so i can have them monitor my IBS, tell me im safe in my decisions and that im healthy. i always worry im not

thanks for the wishing of luck to me support is always so helpful! and i know in more ways then one that pain from food is not worth it--but what can yah do? we have to survive! i just got acacia and have devised a new food list~hopefully things can work like clockwork soon! thanks again!! and GL to you with your IBS as well~ are you C or D? [im C] ill keep you posted on a local doctor if i come across one--ta ta!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

I'm a C too new
      #162043 - 03/18/05 06:34 PM
Augie

Thanks for looking out for a doctor for me. If I find someone I will post as well. I don't actually live in Chicago, but South Suburb.

How did you get diagnosed with IBS if you don't have a doctor? I only have a GI too! Well, I do have a GI doc but I need someone who is going to help.

GL with the acacia. Let us know how it goes for you. I've been thinking about ordering it for about 4 months now, but just don't know about it. I have problems with fiberchoice, benefiber, fibercon didn't do anything, citrucel I suspect is causing gas now... So who knows if I can tolerate any SFS. I know many have had success with acacia, but others have had horrid reactions. I hope it works for you!!! Stay postitive and stick to your new revised food list. As Heather said, substitution, not deprivation.

--------------------
~ Beth

Shelby, what type of citrucel do you take? new
      #162045 - 03/18/05 06:36 PM
Augie

Powder, or caplets? And how much per day? It doesn't cause you any gas or bloat or cramps?

I am taking it and suspect it may be a problem, but don't know for certain anything!

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm in the South Suburbs too! new
      #162065 - 03/18/05 07:30 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Well, Southwest. Tinley park. Where do you live? I don't see a doctor specifically for IBS, just got diagnosed by my general practitioner a few years back.

--------------------

Re: Shelby, what type of citrucel do you take? *DELETED* new
      #162069 - 03/18/05 07:33 PM
Jeano

Post deleted by Jeano

OMG new
      #162082 - 03/18/05 07:48 PM
Augie

I grew up in Tinley Park and my mom and sister still live there. I moved from an apartment in Tinley to Worth. I miss Tinley!!!!!!

How long have you lived in Tinley? I lived there for over 20 years. So you have no Doctor you can recommend, either GI or regular General doc?

Who do you go to for a regular doctor? I would appreciate a referal to one if you like him or her. thank you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Shelby new
      #162089 - 03/18/05 08:06 PM
Augie

I am taking both the Clear Mix powder and the caplets because I don't know if one is more prone to cause problems or if one is better for producing BMs. So I take a little of both. I am surprised you only need 1 scoop. that is only 2 grams of fiber and it seems like most people on the board take much more. That is good for you!! We are all different, once again! I hate taking an SFS and wish I could stop altogether!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: ?? about acacia.. new
      #162129 - 03/19/05 06:05 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I just began acacia also. This is my second week - I am only taking it 2x a day and I am up to one teaspoon each time. I mix it in with my morning and nite tea. I do not like it in my food because when you get up to one teaspoon it can tend to clump up - so I mix it in cold water first then make my tea with it in it.

I am hoping as I increase (I increase every couple of days) that I begin to feel a bit stable. I do not feel anything right now but I am still at the beginning. I am hoping because I am desparate to feel somewhat stable.

Keep me informed and I will do the same!!

Re: OMG new
      #162140 - 03/19/05 06:38 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

How Funny!!
I just moved to Tinley in Feb. of 2003 when I got married. We have a little brick ranch about a block and a half from the train station on Oak Park Ave. Before I got married I lived with my folks in Joliet. So that's where my doctor is--Joliet. Actually, my doctor is leaving his practice (this always happens to me!) but my whole family goes to the same place and the doctor my dad had is very good too, so that's who I will switch over too. It's Optima Medical in Joliet. Sorry I can't recommend anything closer. I hate changing docs so I have quite a few still in Joliet (dentist, gyno---same doc my mom had when I was born!)

I do like living here--I take the train downtown, and our neighborhood is nice and I like being close to stuff, but not TOO close. I have a few friends that live here and I think a bunch more are moving here.

--------------------

#162144 - 03/19/05 06:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Acacia won't make you C as long as you get enough water with it. I've done great with it, but you do need to get up to a significant dose before you can expect good results.

Re: ?? about acacia..Linz new
      #162167 - 03/19/05 08:34 AM

You have been very supportive of me beginning the acacia (1/4 tsp etc). I am now up to one full teaspoon 2x a day (morning with tea and nite with tea). Still feeling nothing but I know I have some time to go.

My question - as I am adding more acacia I need to mix it first otherwise it gets "clumpy" and that is why I do not like to add it to my food. What do you do when you are at 1 tablespoon each time????

Dissolving acacia new
      #162189 - 03/19/05 09:14 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I fill a water bottle (30 oz.) with water and put my 1 Tbs. of acacia in it. In about half an hour or so it has completely dissolved. Honest!!! So I solve two problems at once: I am drinking lots of water and am getting my acacia too. I drink another one in the late afternoon.
Cindy

#162194 - 03/19/05 09:51 AM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

The acacia didn't work for me. Actually it made my C worse. I know take a fiber supplement from enzymatic therapy which is in capules and works much better.

Robin--What is it called? new
      #162197 - 03/19/05 09:56 AM
Augie

Is it safe or a "laxative"? I am not having luck with Citrucel. Very gassy and cramps and not very good BMs either.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Dissolving acacia new
      #162242 - 03/19/05 01:21 PM
Linz

What Cindy suggested is a good idea, but the trick with Acacia is to break up the lumps, so stir with a fork or whisk not a spoon and just give it time! It'll dissolve on it's own after about 10 minutes anyway.

But how I usually have it in the morning is either sprinkled over cereal before I pour the soy milk in (it just makes the milk a bit creamier! ) or mixed with my oatmeal before I cook it. Either way it's not an issue. At night I usually just put it in a mug of soy milk and mix it up.

But if you want to add it to something like pasta sauce, mixing it with a little bit of cold water first is a very good idea. Just think how you'd treat cornmeal -it has the same kind of consistency I find.

Did I mean cornmeal or cornstarch? new
      #162243 - 03/19/05 01:22 PM
Linz

I've forgotten my Americanisms! We call it cornflour and it's used for thickening sauces, etc.

Re: ?? about acacia..RobinV new
      #162273 - 03/19/05 02:59 PM

I am always interested to see how long you used acacia before you realized this. It takes a long time to work up to the amount you are supposed to be and I feel I can not quit now - how much dosage were you up to before quitting?

Re: Dissolving acacia-Cindy new
      #162274 - 03/19/05 03:02 PM

It sounds like you are at full dosage - but if you take 1 tablesp each with 2 bottles of water do you take another tablesp at breakfast or dinner - or are you stable enough with 2 tablesp??

I am trying to find out all I can about acacia - and thinking very positive that I will eventually somewhat stabilize

Re: Dissolving acacia-Linz new
      #162275 - 03/19/05 03:04 PM

It sounds like you became stable with 2 table per day. I am only hoping something comes out of all of this!!!

Re: Thanks Shelby new
      #162276 - 03/19/05 03:05 PM

Re: Dissolving acacia-Cindy new
      #162278 - 03/19/05 03:28 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

2 Tbs. a day is enough for me. I don't always drink it in my water. I've been doing that lately though because my schedule (and eating habits) have been kind of erratic.
Cindy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review