All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Flat stomach
      #161057 - 03/16/05 09:40 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Today is my day for asking questions- Hope no one minds!
Does anyone else wake up in the morning with a flat tummy then as the day wears on the bloating gets more and more... I have IBS-C they say. I do go every morning, but I know it's not enough. But I was just wondering if this is considered normal- and why. Is it the fact that my intestines are calm when I am sleeping so ebverything kind of settles down or is it the food or the stool that does that....Appreciate any input.
Thanks again for reading this.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flat stomach new
      #161061 - 03/16/05 09:58 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

My tummy is rarely flat! But, yes, it does swell a lot during the day. To the point that I usually end up unbuttoning my pants and can't wait to change when I get home from work! I've asked many dr's about this and they don't really have an answer for me. They say, technically, its not the colon itself swelling but they don't know what really does cause it. Some days its worse than others! Oh, the joys of IBS!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#161064 - 03/16/05 10:01 AM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

My stomach is also rarely flat even though I am too thin!! But, I agree that it appears to be the most flat when I wake up and then slowly balloons up! I always thought it was because I hadn't eaten for so long...the bloating is really annoying and I don't have much advice on this, sorry...

--------------------
~Angela

That makes SO MUCH SENSE new
      #161065 - 03/16/05 10:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I never knew/understood why my belly is flat when I wake up and huge by the end of the day! The muscles relaxing during sleep makes SO much sense! Thanks for elightening me

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#161073 - 03/16/05 10:09 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I don't have any answers but I can tell you this...I made a skirt the other night to wear to church the next morning. It fit beautifully. The next morning I put it on and kid you not had an extra 3 inches in the waist! I showed my DH because he'd seen the skirt the night before and he was SHOCKED!
Rena

I'm IBS -A... new
      #161077 - 03/16/05 10:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and I know C's have more of a problem with bloating, but this symptom went away as I stabilised for me. Now, as long as I don't cheat, I can only blame my round tum on my diet!

Re: Flat stomach/Thanks everyone new
      #161079 - 03/16/05 10:14 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Thanks to everyone who replied to all my posts today. I have been feeling overwhelmed lately. I know sometimes I ask the same questions others do but it makes me feel better to ask myself. There is so much knowledge on this board.
Thanks again.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Re: Thanks new
      #161138 - 03/16/05 12:15 PM
Auggie

Reged: 03/14/05

Thank you for answering the information about the food subsitutions that I listed. I hope you get this message from me since I lost your first message that told the list. I just found Heather's site last week and this is all new to me. I have following the foods to eat when you can eat anything and see a little improvement. This is day 6. I have constipation. Also I have fibromyology. I had to have surgery 7 weeks ago on recontructing the pelvic area. This must have triggered a sever attack. I will keep learning all I can about these to conditions. Thanks again.

totally "normal" for me too- nt new
      #161156 - 03/16/05 12:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

ok I have more to say new
      #161159 - 03/16/05 12:39 PM
Little Minnie

When I wake up I am flat and then I eat breakfast and then go to the bathroom and then I am fine until lunch. BUT if I go to the bathroom before breakfast then I get bloated from breakfast. anyone else?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Not a prob. new
      #161172 - 03/16/05 01:00 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd already seen your post in the Living Room. It's rarely neccessary to duplicate posts - esp. for us old timers as we're so used to trawling through alot of them!

I have fibromyalgia too. Surgery must have been pretty horrible on your bod with these two DDs.

Remember that, because you are C, it is very important to not stay on the SF foods only (ie. what to eat when you can't eat anything) diet for very long...by now you need to be adding safe IF veggies in. Risottos are my safest way of gettng veggies, but having anything IF cooked, after SF is the way to go.

Re: ok I have more to say new
      #161285 - 03/16/05 06:07 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

if i eat in the morning, it pushes so im able to have a BM. if i have a BM before i eat, my stomach will be really flat and eating will make me bloated and nausaus so i usually will just drink coffee or tea. i LOVE your little kitty picture---i have the same one!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

What's a flat tummy?!! new
      #161291 - 03/16/05 06:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I too have bloating all the time. Wake up bloated and slowly gets worse as day goes on. I too am underweight, so looks weird to have skinny legs and arms and this huge old belly sticking out!

And hard to buy clothes as the are huge in legs and butt, but need the waist to be bigger so I don't hurt even more with tight clothes.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: What's a flat tummy?!! new
      #161313 - 03/16/05 08:05 PM
Little Minnie

LOL. Yes clothes are very hard to fit. I find that skirts fit better than pants. Pants with a big enough waist just hang off the behind and look really weird. I have a bunch of knee length slightly A line cottony skirts that look cute in various settings. In summer I wear bib shorts around the house and yard. If you have boobs you can wear polo dresses, but without boobs the fabric hugs your bloated belly. And low rider pants/jeans are awesome (with a longer shirt). STILL it is hard to deal with clothes fit and bloat. They should do an episode of What NOt to Wear about it.

--------------------

Sigh...flat tummy new
      #161460 - 03/17/05 10:26 AM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I just wanted to say that it's so cool to hear that other people have the constant bloating problem!! I do feel ridiculous, like Beth said, with a protruding tummy and skinny everything else!! Wish there was something to do about it...

--------------------
~Angela

#161934 - 03/18/05 01:40 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

THATS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!! because i notice the same thing. you can even see deffinition in my tummy....then i eat and i'm all bloated......it's weird...not funny really....i always make my mom laugh because i push my tummy out further after i eat (i work with her too)...but it just feels so bloated!!

#161941 - 03/18/05 01:46 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I have the same problem...flat stomach in the morning and throughout the day, it always seems to grow however, i always thought it happened to everyone (not only us IBSers) because your stomach has to expand when you eat. Maybe I made that up

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Well, the dresses are out for me then new
      #162046 - 03/18/05 06:46 PM
Augie

As I have no boobs! So don't want them hugging my protruding tummy.

Do you were the dreaded nylons with the A line skirt? and what is an A line skirt?

--------------------
~ Beth

Same here new
      #162057 - 03/18/05 07:21 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm not A, just C, but unless I have cheated or am really "backed up," my tummy is flat. For the first time in years, starting a couple months ago when I started the diet and got stabilized, my tummy is generally flat. It is really very exciting.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Well, the dresses are out for me then new
      #162061 - 03/18/05 07:27 PM
Little Minnie

Yes I do wear nylons in the winter or tights. I buy them large. A line skirts are cut so that the bottom hem is wider than the waistline. So it looks sort of like an A. here is an idea. Caution though, skirts with the fabric cut on the bias are not flattering to anyone but the skinniest people and not to people with bloated bellies. The striped crossways skirt is bias cut. That is the fabric goes kitty corner across- the grain of the fabric is not up and down but kitty corner. Those skirts are not flattering. Try to get a line skirts with low waists and wide waistbands (so they won't pinch in).

--------------------

Yuck, how can you handle nylons? new
      #162084 - 03/18/05 07:50 PM
Augie

Don't they kill your tummy!! I cannot handle them at all. Torture on my sore belly!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Yuck, how can you handle nylons? new
      #162124 - 03/19/05 05:47 AM
Little Minnie

Hmmmm. you could try thigh highs. SEEEEXXXXYYYY.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1553 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review