Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone know-
      #160991 - 03/16/05 07:43 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Good morning everyone
Question for anyone with IBS-C. Anyone know what actually is causing the crampy pain that we experience. The feeling that we need to push out gas or stool. It gets much stronger after eating. I have a bm every morning but I think I don't go enough. Sopmetimes after I go the cramps/pain goes away for only a little while, (like maybe 45 minutes) and then it creeps back in. My GI doctor tells me it is becuase I am constipated and that I have heightened sensitivity (because he thinks I'm nuts), becaquse of the IBS so I actually feel the stool and gas much more strongly than the normal person. Does anyone else feel this way??

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone know- new
      #160993 - 03/16/05 07:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Read EFI! People with IBS DO have heightened sensitivity...we feel pain when someone else would just feel mild pressure. Your GI tract can also spasm (cramp) which is particularly painful for us and another issue (particularly with C) is getting gas trapped in your GI tract, which hurts!

#161005 - 03/16/05 07:57 AM
melissam

You know the doctors keep telling me that and I read so much about it- It's like I want to beleive it is something else. I ham having such a hard time accepting this whole thing. It has changed my life completely and sometimes I just get overwhelmed with it. Thanks for your reply, I will check out that reading material you referenced.

--------------------
Melissa

#161032 - 03/16/05 09:00 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I know exactly how you feel. It's 11:00am here in Dallas & so far no tummy problems. I had a bowl of rice chex with soy milk this morning at 6:00am & nothing else. I usually have a snack about this time but I'm so afraid to cause I know what will happen. As soon as I eat, no matter what I eat, I'll start having grugling in my belly & feeling like I've gotta go & can't. Every time I try it's only gas. You would think I'd be losing weight but I'm not. I can't offer you any advice but at least you know you're not alone. I've decided that this is just something I have to live with & deal with it the best I can. I'm trying not to focus on it too much.
Good luck to you.
Meryl

#161035 - 03/16/05 09:10 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey - the pain boils down to the fact that ibsers DO have heightened nerve sensitivity BUT if you are C your colon is impacted with lots of stool sitting around, which is causing it to balloon. old food sits around in there and putrefies which imbalances the bacteria that live in there, letting the less friendly ones become more prolific = lots of bad gas and its stinky too! because of the impacted/excess stool - the gas gets trapped causing the colon to balloon which puts pressure on all surrounding organs = pain everywhere. if your sigmoid and descending colon are ballooned you are feeling pain mainly low down and on your left side (because of nervous system connections you can feel it in your left chest and shoulder area too - sometimes thigh) - if your transverse colon is ballooned you feel it in your upper abdomen and you look like a balloon all over (ten months pregnant!!) and if your ascending colon is ballooned it will be more on your right side...fun fun fun. NOT. but this is why it is soooo important to find a way to get things moving down there (easier said then done of course)and aim for three good bowel movements a day - or otherwise there is always going to be a back log (no pun intended on the word log) :-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#161044 - 03/16/05 09:22 AM
melissam

It is comforting to know that we aren't alone. It helps! But it is so hard not to focus on it- everyone tells me that, and I try so hard but It consumes my thoughts a majority of the time. I can be sitting at work not even thinking about it and then all of a sudden a little pain will come and then I start thinking oh god is the pain going to get worse, is it going to be so severe I will want to go home. It is somewhat of a cycle.

--------------------
Melissa

Melissa...yes you! new
      #161052 - 03/16/05 09:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

As IBS-anxiety seems to be a big issue for you atm you might find yoga or even the hypno CDs helpful. I know how impossible it is to control the anxiety when all this is new, but it's so important in order to take back control over your life AND stabilise.

Just a thought...

#161053 - 03/16/05 09:29 AM
melissam

Thanks for passing on your knowledge. I read so much about it- and it is just so hard to believe sometimes you know. Well I should say "accept". I have been dealing with this for close to 2 years but the last 3 months have been H*ll for some reason. I think alot has to do with being tired of feeling this way. No matetr what I eat or don't eat the cramps are there. I know I need to go the bathroom more so I am going to work on getting more SFS in me daily. I drink about 90 ounces of water a day so I think I am pretty good with that. Well again- Thank You and stay well.

--------------------
Melissa

#161105 - 03/16/05 10:51 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

this is quite informative - but 3 BM's a day??? I am happy when I do 1.... Anne

Melissa, I could have written every one of your posts! new
      #161294 - 03/16/05 07:13 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I swear you were taking the words and thought right from my journal!! OMG, everything you think and feel I also think and feel. From the constant cramps no matter what I eat, to reading and researching everything I can get my hands on, thinking it must be something else, as I have not been able to get better like most of the people on this board have, even though I tried the same things!!

The pain, the thoughts, the researching have overtaken every aspect of my life. My doctor thinks I actually like the IBS because it "gives me something to think about" so I don't have to deal with life! What an a** he is. He couldn't survive one week trying to function with this physical and emotional killer digestive problem.

The cramps, bloat, lack of incomplete BM...I have it all too. Did you mention an SFS you are taking? What are you eating?

Keep posting as I can so identify with you. This is a raw deal we were given!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Melissa, I could have written every one of your posts! new
      #161354 - 03/17/05 04:32 AM
melissam

I have seen some of your posts also- Great minds think alike. Ohh I have been down the same road- I had one of my friends tell me that I need something to "focus" on because my life is boring- I have a very peaceful life- Good marriage, job, family, financially no problems. So my one frined said that I am bored and this is how I occupy my mind. Can you receive private posts- I don't want to hog the board here but I would love to talk more. I don't think I can receive private posts- I don't know how to make it so that I can. I have email at work though if you are interested. It's cool to meet someone who has such similar symptoms and who can't seem to get past the pain of eating anything.

--------------------
Melissa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4860 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review