All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Birth Control Update
      #160968 - 03/16/05 06:51 AM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I'm not sure if you guys remember me posting two months ago that I was going to try going off of my birth control to see if it would help my IBS.
I followed up a month later saying that things were going great.
Well, it's a different story now. Before I quit I would never get diarreah as long as I watched what I ate. Well I'm not eating any differently and have been suffering with diarreah for the last 3 days. Last night was awful. I think the change in hormones because of my period is spurring unrest.
By quitting I was also hoping to experience a higher sex drive. Well, that happened the first month but this past month I felt nothing. It was no different than when I was on bc.
Also, I have always been prone to acne. I took accutane when I was younger which helped a lot. Birth control helped control it as well. Since quitting bc it has been flaring up again.
Needless to say, after this period, I will be anxiously staring back on my birth control. It was worth a shot.

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Never mind new
      #160977 - 03/16/05 07:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

At least you now know so you won't be worrying about the "if"s. Periods are notorious for causing D to flare up, btw. I'm staying on my birth control!

WAITTTTTTTT!!! :-) new
      #160981 - 03/16/05 07:11 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hey there - I am sorry to hear about your ups and downs..however - I must caution you - I went off the pill in sept and only now am developing a regular cycle and am able to see that my IBS IS better off the pill and it just gets bad the first days of my period - which is much better then it being bad all month. same goes for the sex drive - huge in the first month off - then nothing and then it evens out - you have to give it 6 months to REALLY see the impact on your body....I know its tough (believe me I have had rollercoaster hormones) but it really is worth seeing...I am SO glad I went off it no matter how hard and weird it was in the beginning...good luck with whatever you decide..just wanted you to hear the other side of the coin..

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: My experience with BCP new
      #161041 - 03/16/05 09:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I first developed IBS symptoms when I was 15. I started BCP when I was 16. I stopped taking the pill over a year ago, when I was 33. I did not notice any difference in my IBS one way or the other.

As for the acne, ask your dr for a script for Differin Cream! It works great and won't over dry your skin like RentinA does!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: WAITTTTTTTT!!! :-) new
      #161124 - 03/16/05 11:26 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

You must be one healthy person! No bc, no sugar...I have to admire the discipline! The GI doc that first diagnosed me took me of bc immediately! At the time, it was ok because we were ready to start our family, so I just stayed off them about three years. However, I went back on them after my second son was born, and didn't notice any changes in my IBS which was stable at that time.

Now that the IBS is back in all its glory, I'm wondering...right now suggested to try the Nuvaring by my new gyn who seems to have a handle on the IBS/gyn/supplement conncection. I have posted another bit about this on the enzyme thread. Any thoughts on this?

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: WAITTTTTTTT!!! :-) new
      #161205 - 03/16/05 02:36 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

you're cute...thanks for the compliment! I find it easy to be this disciplined because when I see how much better I feel mentally and physically ON a good diet its not tempting to go back to the junk at all. All people need to do is try it for a few months and they will see how much better life is without all the crap.
Anyway...I was on the pill for 5 years and went off last autumn after many months of research. I read up and saw that over time, the pill (and other hormonal contraceptives) create an imbalance in the body and erase certain nutrients more rapidly then others - so basically, you can feel really good on it for about 3 years and then start to feel like hell. thats what happened to me. I felt perfectly fine for four years and then began to get constant vaginal infections, no sex drive and ibs went crazy...this has all disappeared since coming off. I will NEVER go on it again because I hate to think about how the fact that my body started displaying such symptoms meant I had been silently imbalancing it for years...it just never reached a stage of symptoms...I feel bad about that...Hubby and I use condoms in the time of the month that I am ovulating and just before my period and just after we use nothing....suits us fine and I do NOT want a baby right now...:-)

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Birth Control Update new
      #161479 - 03/17/05 11:04 AM
jenniferlynn

Reged: 02/10/05
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I was on BC before I was diagnosed. My gyne actually is suggesting the patch. I suffer from severe nausea alraedy. Every pill has made me more. I have actually decided against it for now.

I have very sensitive skin. I have been using Proactiv for about a year. I still get the occasional around my peiod. Its worth looking into.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review